That last sub in HoD is a doozy

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
I always forget what a tinykitty the last sub in Hearts of Darkness is. I'll be rolling along, crushing the first two subs and their goon nodes, but then the third sub comes along and smacks me right in the health pack inventory.

Cyclops/Iceman/ProfX is no joke and can get out of hand fast if you don't deal with them quickly.

The Rider Awakens node (hard wave node) can be a total catastrophe if you don't time the new waves just right and get them to flip on a power cast, with another power cast in waiting to deal with the most dangerous opponent.

And the 5-star essential node (Star-Lord) against Medusa/Lockjaw/Bolt is just evil.

I had IM40, MaxPun, and an unboosted Riri working overtime tonight!

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Truth. I'm actually kind of happy that 5tar Lord is one of my few missing 5* so I had an excuse to drop down to SCL6 for this run.
  • revizion
    revizion Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    @ level 515, you have up to 15k *passive* damage coming *each turn* if Medusa’s CD is up and there’s charged tiles in your color. Brutal doesn’t begin to describe that mess 
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    Totally. Every combination I rallied with against the CL9 Inhumans just got chewed up and spit out back at me.

But as long as everyone gets the same near-impossible matchup, I have no complaints.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    At CL7, the points given for that Inhumans essential node nowhere near match the difficulty.
  • Dormammu
    jamesh said:
    At CL7, the points given for that Inhumans essential node nowhere near match the difficulty.
    I was thinking the same thing.
  • rocks52
    rocks52 Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    While yes these are a doozy, i HATED the last sub.  That "3 wave" hardest regular node is just a time crunch.  Sure it's mostly goons but the middle wave is 7 freaking characters.  Even with boosted characters like Nova and 3* Fist putting out strike tiles like crazy, it was still a slog to get through that freaking node.  I feel it should be worth more points b/c its 11 high health goons and 2 AP stealing Hoods
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    I'll copy/paste my comment from the "WORST MPQ moment" thread in here, since it's quite fitting:

Running Elektra, Kamala Khan, and Hood in "The Rider Awakens" wave node, and get through the first wave relatively unharmed.  Elektra has several traps out, stole several of Daken's strike tiles away, and even has a Ballet of Death out in the corner.  Life is good...until Loki comes out with the Illusions to end all Illusions.  Two match-5 columns on opposite sides of the board and a black match 4 which completely wipe out every last special tile I have.  Next turn, another Illusions into a Match-5 green for a World Rupture for Sentry.
    jamesh said:
    Same with CL8 and CL9, honestly.  Has *anyone* been able to beat that node?

Edit - Rephrasing the question, your honor.  Has anyone been able to beat that node without doing what I just did?  DROP ALL THE WHALES!!!  I just wanted the token, really.  The 984 points were just a bonus.  The token gets me...another 2-star Storm for when she gets farmed after this event.  That's 4 extras in the queue right now.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll copy/paste my comment from the "WORST MPQ moment" thread in here, since it's quite fitting:

Running Elektra, Kamala Khan, and Hood in "The Rider Awakens" wave node, and get through the first wave relatively unharmed.  Elektra has several traps out, stole several of Daken's strike tiles away, and even has a Ballet of Death out in the corner.  Life is good...until Loki comes out with the Illusions to end all Illusions.  Two match-5 columns on opposite sides of the board and a black match 4 which completely wipe out every last special tile I have.  Next turn, another Illusions into a Match-5 green for a World Rupture for Sentry.
    jamesh said:
    Same with CL8 and CL9, honestly.  Has *anyone* been able to beat that node???
    Lots of people have beaten that node 7 times, yes.
    Everyone in s2 clears like a demigod each PVE.
  • Dormammu
    I cleared The Rider Awakens twice, but I'm in slice 4 (SCL7) and I'm not looking forward to doing it three more times at elevated difficulty tonight as I seek T10 placement.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hawkeye/Coulson can handle that node.  Just make sure the Bola arrow stuns Lockjaw so his passive doesn't wreck you.  Boosting red/blue AP to give you a jumpstart helps a lot too.
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    I hate the 5* fight. Fortunately I'm only trying for t50 this event so after 2 wins for the token and cps I just stopped. Not going to torture myself for just a few iso.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion said:
    Hawkeye/Coulson can handle that node.  Just make sure the Bola arrow stuns Lockjaw so his passive doesn't wreck you.  Boosting red/blue AP to give you a jumpstart helps a lot too.
    While my Coulson is Champed, my 5-star Hawkeye is 0/2/0, and not much help.  I ended up using my 0/0/5 3-star Gambattery to DROP ALL THE WHALES four times.  Another data point for the "Gambit's best build is 0/0/5" data set.
  • Dormammu
    Well, it wasn't as bad as I expected on the 5* essential node. Boosted IM40, boosted MaxPun, and C&D did the trick. C&D and IM40 were just there to feed Pun and his sick crazy boosted damage.

Ended up 6th for three Hulk covers!
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    Same with CL8 and CL9, honestly.  Has *anyone* been able to beat that node?
    My point was that at CL7, that node was worth roughly the same as one of the easy nodes after the recent changes.  At least in CL8 and CL9 it is still worth more than the 4* essential.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

Today I learned that "doozy" doesn't mean what I thought it did.

I also didn't mind being locked out of the fivestar node this time around...

• Dormammu
    Doozy (Doo-zee)
    1. Something outstanding or unique of its kind.
    2. (slang) Sometimes used in Marvel Puzzle Quest to describe a situation where the developers are out to get you.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Honestly,  I just try to build a lead over the 1st 2 subs and just limp in early on the 3rd sub.  The hard wave node can be unpredictable timewise and it isn't worth risking a placement trying to execute a perfect optimal grind.  Better to finish 10 early and have safe placement instead.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle said:

jamesh said:
    Same with CL8 and CL9, honestly.  Has *anyone* been able to beat that node???
    Lots of people have beaten that node 7 times, yes.
    Everyone in s2 clears like a demigod each PVE.
    Yes, yes we do.