X-Men #1 (1991) Cover Art Now Completely In-Game

pheregas
pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
I bought this comic back when it was first published.

5* Gambit has now been in the game for weeks and yet I didn't put it together that all four covers of that classic fold-out cover are now in the game.

Beast : 5*Gambit : 4* Cyclops : 3* Magneto

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,247 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ah, the early 90’s.  Speculators fueling cover gimmicks. Pouches and weird costumes everywhere.  But that was one awesome gatefold.

Note from Marvel comics:  please try to forget the stories of the early 90’s.  Enjoy playing Marvel Puzzle Quest!
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have all those covers buried in a comic box, on a shelf in my garage. The X-Men of that era were blessed with two giants of the industry on their way up - Marc Silvestri and (of course) Jim Lee. Jim Lee was like a god to my teenage self. Him and McFarlane (who was drawing Spider-Man at that time).

X-Men #1 was the end of a grand era for Marvel. That was the moment things got out of hand - when artists thought they could write, when everyone was tired of their creations belonging to Marvel or DC, and when corporate executives thought the most important thing to have was a holographic cover.

It's when Claremont left the X-Men. They've never been the same since.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Man do I remember that.  The beginning of the end of the comics boom.  Alternate, lenticular, prismatic covers.... EVERYWHERE!  

How often did I fall into that trap of buying one comic to read and another to bag.  (I'm looking at you Death of Superman, in particular).
  • Talus9952
    Talus9952 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Dormammu said:
    I have all those covers buried in a comic box, on a shelf in my garage. The X-Men of that era were blessed with two giants of the industry on their way up - Marc Silvestri and (of course) Jim Lee. Jim Lee was like a god to my teenage self. Him and McFarlane (who was drawing Spider-Man at that time).

X-Men #1 was the end of a grand era for Marvel. That was the moment things got out of hand - when artists thought they could write, when everyone was tired of their creations belonging to Marvel or DC, and when corporate executives thought the most important thing to have was a holographic cover.

But they didn't write the stories themselves.  That only started at Image.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards

I am still waiting for this infamous cover!

It could be used for.... 4* Human Beast! haha. In all seriousness, it would be really cool if the next 3/5 new character would be 5* Archangel and 3* Angel. He could even attack airborne characters! We need this! Keep up the X-Men releases :)

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Talus9952 said:
    Look up McFarlane's Spider-Man, especially the issue with the Lizard where the only thing McFarlane did was repeat the same word over and over. (doom doom doom)
  • BigMike182
    BigMike182 Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Dormammu said:
    Talus9952 said:
    Look up McFarlane's Spider-Man, especially the issue with the Lizard where the only thing McFarlane did was repeat the same word over and over. (doom doom doom)
    Now, now, be fair. McFarlane knew the word DOOM was...

... ADVANTAGEOUS!!!
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Talus9952 said:
    Dormammu said:

Except Jim Lee has writing credits on a number of X Men issues, and McFarlane was writing Spiderman as well as drawing it. A number of other Image founders have wiring credits on Marvel properties.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Lee was plotting the majority of uncanny for quite a while before X-Men #1. Claremont was down to writing dialogue for the title, which is why he ended up leaving.

But it was for the best cause if you ever read his X-Men forever that picked up after issue 3, he had some terrible ideas.

And to be fair to MacFarlane, the entire point of that spider Man story was that calypso was using voodoo to control lizard and IIRC to mess with Peter's powers to seek revenge for kraven's death.
  • BigMike182
    BigMike182 Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Lee, Portacio, and Liefeld had plotting credits on issues of Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, X-Factor, New Mutants, & X-Force, but no scripting credits pre-Image.

McFarlane, Larsen, & Valentino had full writing credits on (respectively) Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man & Spider-Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy & What If...? prior to forming Image. Valentino had a pretty successful indie book, normalman, before working at Marvel.

Silvestri wasn't credited with plot or script pre-Image, as far as I know.

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    I know this is not really part of the core MPQ match 3 experience,  but I have always wanted the ability to win variant art covers, and or the ability to change the display cover/art.

I think of that as a cosmetic improvement that I would certainly spend hp on.