I miss win based PVP progression...

thetimelord
thetimelord Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
Hello, I am a casual player from the first year of MPQ who has taken several extended breaks from the game and I have returned once again to play some more.

I used to be afraid of trying to trying to go for the higher end progression rewards in PVP. Whenever I would try, I could get up to around 700 before I was losing points faster than I was gaining them. When the win based progression was introduced I felt that I could actually try to get these covers without fear of other players with better rosters pushing me farther from that goal. I am about for get my first final progression reward (Yellow Kingpin) from the Divine Champions event. I am so excited.

To give some context, my roster contains of most 3* characters championed, but all of them under level 200. about 9 5* characters that have mostly only 1 cover, Silver Surfer is my best 5* who has 6 covers. I just championed my first 4* (Invisible Woman), and I am close with my second. The rest of my characters are not as playable as my 3* characters.

Now, whenever I play PVP, I am constantly going against people with better rosters, meta builds, championed 4* characters, fully championed 3*s, many of which I know I cannot beat. So getting better characters through PVP is extremely difficult. Most other people have lots of 4*s and I am still struggling to get 4* characters I already have so that I can level them up. With the win based progression, I felt like I had that chance. Now I feel like it is once again very hard to catch up with the rest of the playerbase. I wish win based progression would return.

TL;DR
I really liked win based PVP progression, I felt like I could actually advance my roster because everyone else has stronger characters than me. Now it is hard to keep up again, I wish it would come back.

Comments

• Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    I feel your pain brother.
     :'( 
  • Beta-Ray Bill
    Beta-Ray Bill Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Play pve. It advances much faster. Leave pvp alone. You may advance in it now but you will not in the future. You’ll hit a wall and never move because bigger rosters can only advance with the cp you can’t get due to 2300 point scores
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Or just play PVE and forget placement rewards. It's  more stress than they're worth. Just play the game however you want, and have fun.

Yellow Kingpin 4 Life btw - if Divine Champions really is the last we'll see of wins PVP, I want to make it count.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    CNash said:
    Or just play PVE and forget placement rewards. It's  more stress than they're worth. Just play the game however you want, and have fun.

Yellow Kingpin 4 Life btw - if Divine Champions really is the last we'll see of wins PVP, I want to make it count.
    Ive had a rush of champing 4*s.

During this time Ive sold probably 5 Kingpin yellows.

Saw he was coming up again and just thought, to hell with it - even if I think he's rubbish Ill champ him just to save wastage.

Needed a black or Purple to get him to 13 to then apply the yellow.

Set him as Bonus hero.  Now I have a 13 cover KP with another 3 yellow on the vine.  Is KP Yellow the most prolific token in the game?!

Of course, thanks to my recent champing exploits Im in an iso crunch and so scrambling to put together enough to champ him.  Kingpin, of all people...
  • White_Deth
    White_Deth Posts: 63 Match Maker
    JHawkInc said:
    WEBGAS said:
    Play pve. It advances much faster. Leave pvp alone. You may advance in it now but you will not in the future. You’ll hit a wall and never move because bigger rosters can only advance with the cp you can’t get due to 2300 point scores
    Sorry, but pve it's a completely mess right now. Bigger rosters dropped down to scl8 and scl7 where they can easily dominate. So forget top10 if you re are aiming to it.
    I don't condamn them (maybe I would do the same if I was in their shoes)....but opening scl9 is not enough if the rewards are not worth the efforts they require
    Slices have 1,000 people, literally 99% of the people that play can't get t10. Not being able to get t10 is hardly a reason to write off an entire game mode. PVE still advances you faster than PVP does.
    Tgat 5* node needs to be sorted out. Its hardly fair to stick it in an scl that requires a shield rank of 30 something. I cant even get top 50 in the subs anymore even if have the damn character.
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    JHawkInc said:
    Slices have 1,000 people, literally 99% of the people that play can't get t10. Not being able to get t10 is hardly a reason to write off an entire game mode. PVE still advances you faster than PVP does.
    If you want to progress you have to aim for best rewards, otherways don't play at all. You will stuck in 2* and 3* land forever, because of the diluition of characters you will not be able to champ them in time....It's a viciuos circle. 
    As of today, the strongest roster will become stronger and the waker will still remain the same.
    I feel for those who want to start playing this game...unless they want to spend millions $ on a 3match game  ;)
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    WEBGAS said:
    JHawkInc said:
    If you want to progress you have to aim for best rewards, otherways don't play at all. You will stuck in 2* and 3* land forever, because of the diluition of characters you will not be able to champ them in time....It's a viciuos circle. 
    As of today, the strongest roster will become stronger and the waker will still remain the same.
    I feel for those who want to start playing this game...unless they want to spend millions $ on a 3match game  ;)
    Oh come on. Placement rewards are completely dwarfed by the progress you make from opening tokens that you get mostly just for playing. And just about any 4* roster can T50 SCL9 for a 4* cover anyway if they just put in the time....it's not THAT competitive.
  • Killabee
    Killabee Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    10 guaranteed 4* and full season progression to possibly 3-4 4* and the 10 pack. And yes I will have to play more contrary to what people think. Sure the 5* rosters will play less because less than 80% of players will even dare to attack them. But for a person with 22 4* champed, I'm just prey especially when I get past 800 points. 

I did feel bad for the stronger rosters that lost the ability to get that 15cp for 1200 points, but there really needs to be a middle ground. Seems d3 goes from one extreme to another on some of these changes. 

• White_Deth
    White_Deth Posts: 63 Match Maker
    The 10 pack has abysmal odds. I rarely get mmore than 2 stars :(
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Hello, I am a casual player from the first year of MPQ who has taken several extended breaks from the game and I have returned once again to play some more.
    Not to discredit the people who did enjoy wins based PVP, but its hard to care how this affects you in particular, since you'll just pack up and leave again anyway. 
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    broll said:
    Beer40 said:
    Not to discredit the people who did enjoy wins based PVP, but its hard to care how this affects you in particular, since you'll just pack up and leave again anyway. 
    Ok then. As someone playing obsessively for 1.75 years I too mourn the loss of win based. System was better for 90-99% of players. I definately needed a tweak but going thru another season of win based while they did the tweaks wouldn’t have broken the game...  The rest of us have suffered thru awful PvP for far, far longer...
    Lets say you're right. Maybe that's the issue why it was quickly reversed? I do remember some comments (unsure of their accuracy) about the bean counters wanting the 4* cover at more than 40 wins.

We may yet get the wins based PVP back. My guess is that it won't come in a form 90% of people enjoy.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    I certainly preferred win-based PVP.  I'm playing SCL5 and while we all have almost a month to amass 1700 points and get all three Kamala Khan covers, I don't look forward to taking most of a day off for work or travel and find that I've lost more than a hundred points.  I don't wish to spend HP to shield myself.  I'd rather it be "win 50 matches, get the prize you desire" than "win an unknown number of matches."
  • AngryGerman
    AngryGerman Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Can’t you just hop in your Tardis and enjoy the golden days of the previous season again? 
  • Beta-Ray Bill
    Beta-Ray Bill Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    WEBGAS said:
    Sorry, but pve it's a completely mess right now. Bigger rosters dropped down to scl8 and scl7 where they can easily dominate. So forget top10 if you re are aiming to it.
    I don't condamn them (maybe I would do the same if I was in their shoes)....but opening scl9 is not enough if the rewards are not worth the efforts they require
    Just progression rewards, grinding rewards, and then whatever placement is 3x the amount you’ll get from pvp.

oh and alliance rewards. And don’t tell me you can’t place because I’m always in cl9 and place top 20 casually playing. Pve doesn’t matter your rosters size.. just the fact you have the characters and can clear faster than the dude above you.

pvp on the other hand does matter for size and also matters that you place for rewards. Once again.. pve is better regardless of what you’re trying to argue here