***** Thor (Gladiator) *****

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    When does he enter Latest Legends anyway?
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Pongie said:
    It’s because there is no need to rush out and get Thor yet. Most (myself included) are waiting for Thor to enter latest before trying to get him. Gambit and Daredevil is better than Strange and Banner. Especially when Thor won’t qualify as 5* essential in pve until he rotates into latest. 
    I've been doing the same, I have 5000CP ready to unload next week when he hits.

Please record this.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anon said:
    When does he enter Latest Legends anyway?
    November 20 or 21
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    woah, i envy you guys. i only have 1400+ CP and 50 LT. but i am definitely going all in for DD-Gambit-Thor. hopefully i can still champ them before they leave latest...
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker

Been using my champed Gladi Thor for a good week now. Lucky me he has been boosted as in PVP he has been a life saver on many occasions.

Been using 5/5/3. His yellow is good and drops some decent protect tiles but it usually gets matched within a couple of goes. This is fine if you have had time to get a couple of protect tiles down as this will turn them into equally meaty strike tiles (1,300 ish boosted )which in turn help out on his red power. However as I said , most of the time it will get destroyed or matched away pretty sharpish so I only really bother if I somehow acquire enough yellow. If you can get it off and then enough yellow again to fire it will hit for about 26k boosted at 5 covers.

Boosted and 5 in green thor is doing 27k aoe. And boosted with no strikes down 5 in red will do about the same for single target.

Boosted his health is 106k. I only have 13 covers so just champed. (450)

I have gone against any team really. Gambit and BB is annoying but if worth it I will do that too. Panthos teams were my usual team of choice to go for. I would typically work 2 of the opposition team down to 26k then hit his green aoe. Then fire his red for 26k and most of the time everybody would be dead dave. “ Peterson Isnt is he? “

I would say that he is fairly decent. Not Gambit, Not Thanos but definitely higher then middle tier. ( personal opinion ofc )

He really comes into his own when under 50%. In 5 green he will generate 5 ap  in a mixture of green red or yellow. Every time this fires boosted he was doing 6k damage. This will obviously expedite his powers. Matches were very quick when he was below 50% health. Boosted this was 53k which isn’t too shabby.

Without the 50% he can be a bit slow, I was using him with Bruce Banner a lot of the time. If bruce Banner complimented him more then they would be a dangerous duo. His black creates attack tiles that boost thors red and he helps generate green too but hulk is a bit squishy aside from that, not sure what the fix would be for that. Ive not seen many hits since I have been using him but I would say I had more blue then red. A lot of the time it would be people wanting to try out against him which is understandable. If he could start on 50% health then he would be a nightmare but I don’t think he is too much of a deterrent on defence other then his large health boosted and match damage.

On Thors red you can have up to 10 attack tiles adding an extra 12 odd k to its total boosted. It was satisfying twonking thanos in the boat race for 40k a couple of times.

I am new to 5 star land but from my experience of gambit, dd, hulk and peter parker I would say thor is 2nd in that list. Ive not seen any other champed thors so I can’t compare with someone elses notes but that’s my 2 pence.

• atomzed
    26k for aoe? wow. he hits really hard when boosted. 

unboosted he should only be hitting 13k, which isn’t too bad but not game changing. 

i thought his yellow is the interesting ability. once i cast it, it will continually churn out protect tiles. and for the enemy to stop it, he run the risk of changing all the protect tile into strike tiles. it’s a damn if you do, damn if you don’t for the enemy. i feel that if i am playing against thor, seeing yellow getting activated will be a nightmare scenario. 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,158 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed said:

i thought his yellow is the interesting ability. once i cast it, it will continually churn out protect tiles. and for the enemy to stop it, he run the risk of changing all the protect tile into strike tiles. it’s a damn if you do, damn if you don’t for the enemy. i feel that if i am playing against thor, seeing yellow getting activated will be a nightmare scenario. 
    Not really. I use my 0/2/2 GladiaThor every now and then, and while his Yellow is definitely a solid ability, there are some things that keep it in check.

1) It suffers from the same "syndrome" as Falcap: once you collect the 9 Yellow AP, you usually don't have that many Yellow tiles left for both the Repeater tile and the subsequent Protects, unless you get a Yellow-friendly board.

2) As always the case with friendly tiles, they tend to get matched away easily, whether by the suddenly smart AI, some dumb luck cascades, or a move you're forced into.

3) You'll almost never get the additional 12AP needed for Raging Fire's damage, unless you pair him with a Yellow generator like Kingpin, C&D, Sandman (shudder), or you stock up 21 Yellow.

4) There's this certain chap called Gambit running around with self-fuelling Ragin Cajun. Characters who benefit from facing enemy special tiles like Elektra and Medusa will also not bat an eyelid.

His Yellow is good for blunting match damage offense, especially in 5* land, and the conversion to Strike tiles is a good bonus. But all the other conditions prevent it from being a top-notch ability
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Cactus_Jack_87 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Pongie said:
    It’s because there is no need to rush out and get Thor yet. Most (myself included) are waiting for Thor to enter latest before trying to get him. Gambit and Daredevil is better than Strange and Banner. Especially when Thor won’t qualify as 5* essential in pve until he rotates into latest. 

Please record this.
    Do you realize how long that video would be? I recorded myself spending 3800 CP in the Spidey vault last July which took 17 minutes, and it was so long I never released the video! :D
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie said:

Please record this.
    Do you realize how long that video would be? I recorded myself spending 3800 CP in the Spidey vault last July which took 17 minutes, and it was so long I never released the video! :D
    You can't speed it up before you upload it? 3x the speed will shrink 17mins down to 5-6mins. I'll be happy with a thread listing the pulls
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    I'm excited to see how he plays out with DD with all the strike tile production and the double dipping.
  • atomzed
    Not really. I use my 0/2/2 GladiaThor every now and then, and while his Yellow is definitely a solid ability, there are some things that keep it in check.

1) It suffers from the same "syndrome" as Falcap: once you collect the 9 Yellow AP, you usually don't have that many Yellow tiles left for both the Repeater tile and the subsequent Protects, unless you get a Yellow-friendly board.

2) As always the case with friendly tiles, they tend to get matched away easily, whether by the suddenly smart AI, some dumb luck cascades, or a move you're forced into.

3) You'll almost never get the additional 12AP needed for Raging Fire's damage, unless you pair him with a Yellow generator like Kingpin, C&D, Sandman (shudder), or you stock up 21 Yellow.

4) There's this certain chap called Gambit running around with self-fuelling Ragin Cajun. Characters who benefit from facing enemy special tiles like Elektra and Medusa will also not bat an eyelid.

His Yellow is good for blunting match damage offense, especially in 5* land, and the conversion to Strike tiles is a good bonus. But all the other conditions prevent it from being a top-notch ability
    @BlackBoltRocks, that’s a great analysis. i didn’t know that the protect tiles will be generated on yellow. that certaintly makes it worse. i guess it’s 5/5/3 then!
  • atomzed
    I fought an underlevelled Thor in pvp, and found that he’s great on defence. 

i was denying green and red, and thor somehow managed to get 9 yellow. once he cast yellow, the protect tiles just cancelled out my match dmg. that keep him alive long enough to gather green and red to kill my team. 

so while yellow should only be at 3, it is a very decent ability especially on defence. 
  • atomzed
    Now that i have a champ Thor, i found that i truly like him. All 3 skills are decent, but the really outstanding one is the 50% health passive. He deals dmg (3+k), collect ap, generate cascades at the start of every turn. The 3k dmg is significant; i use him and Strange to clear goon nodes very quickly. 

He is a fun character to have. perfectly balanced and not OP (unlike gambit):
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    Not sure if this was intended or not since its not in the description for his yellow but when the repeater is destroyed and there are weaker defense tiles out it will buff them to strike tiles in the strength that his repeater would have produced. Pretty awesome .
  • Anon
    Question for you guys. I just got my 13th cover for GladiaThor and was wondering if I should champ him. I've been leveling him slowly and have him at 330. He's my first fully covered 5* at 3/5/5 and I want to respec him to 5/5/3. I have 33 4* champed with multiple around level 200.

How badly would I be screwing my MMR if I champed him now?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anon said:
    Question for you guys. I just got my 13th cover for GladiaThor and was wondering if I should champ him. I've been leveling him slowly and have him at 330. He's my first fully covered 5* at 3/5/5 and I want to respec him to 5/5/3. I have 33 4* champed with multiple around level 200.

How badly would I be screwing my MMR if I champed him now?
    Not too bad, I think. I mean, you would need to use him in pretty much every single PvP fight, but fortunately Thor is pretty tough and can handle most fights (yes, including Gambit, though you may need to use health packs afterwards).
    Generally speaking, one champion fivestar doesn't screw your MMR too badly, it's the second one that plants you firmly in fivestar MMR.So you need to make sure the first one is a good one, and I think Thor qualifies.
  • Anon
    So I bit the bullet last week and champed Thor. He's my only 5* at the moment (though I'm also hoping to get JJ at 13 covers).

He's definitely a powerhouse. I use him for virtually every battle, both PVP and PVE. I did notice a bump up in my PVP matches, but nothing too oppressive. PVE on the other hand is a cakewalk.

I definitely don't regret it at all.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Are the trap tiles that Doom creates supposed to count as friendly for Thor's Asgardian Tactics?  I just tried it out in the latest PvE when Doom is required, and I don't believe that they counted.

Edit - Just confirmed, they do not count.  With six trap tiles on the board, Asgardian Tactics did base damage.  Is this supposed to be how it works?  The description says "friendly special tiles"  Are traps not counted as special tiles?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are the trap tiles that Doom creates supposed to count as friendly for Thor's Asgardian Tactics?  I just tried it out in the latest PvE when Doom is required, and I don't believe that they counted.
    They are friendly, but don't qualify as "Special" tiles. Also stops Gamora's insta-kill from being crazy easy.