Predator and Prey - Mar 12 to Mar 14

Comments

• Twin Pistols is weak because it's a balanced AP generation ability on a character who has one of the most broken AP generation ability in the game (Dorammu's Aid), so of course you rarely need the AP provided by Twin Pistols because you already get all you need from Dorammu's Aid.

It's a similar problem to how all blue abilities suck in this game compared to ATU or Magnetic Field, so a 'balanced' blue ability like Defense Grid has no place in the current meta game because it's not ATU or Magnetic Field.
  • The thing with Twin Pistols is that it is useless unless you have 5 in the skill. Dormammu's Aid is clearly Hood's best ability so a 5 there is a no brainer.

That makes the only real build a 5/5/3. You can go 3/5/5 but that means you need to plan to never have a use for Twin Pistols.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I find the The Hood to be one of the most balanced, and unique champs. He's not gonna kill you on his own, but he will try. He' black is secretly powerful, 9 AP for 1K damage isn't bad. His yellow while expensive does alot, you can generate ap as well as destroy special tiles, his blue is invaulable. If you consider the game in phases, early, mid, late....Hood is definitely a mid to late game guy, not because he gets stronger like a Thor, or Punisher, but because his mid-game denial and shennanigans messes the opposing teams, if hood is alive mid game (turns 6-12) he really begins to warp the game in your favor. OBW, she is an early game assuming 3/5/5, she denies you early, and allows the rest of your team to ramp up for mid to late game to win.

Everyone talks of color and rainbow, but I think the speed and style of characters sometimes gets lost.
  • The fifth cover in Twin Pistol only feels necessary because this game has pretty much two conflicting design philosophies. On one hand you've this design philosophy that AP generation abilities need to be very limited. This is why Force Bubble Crush ends your turn. The fact that 5th yellow negates the 'ends the turn' requirement means The Hood already got way more than he's supposed to be budgeted for, since Force Bubble Crush never loses this restriction.

On the other hand you got the design philsophy that decided pre nerf Thunderclap was perfectly good, and abilities like Magnetic Field that lets you take 20 extra turns in a row is totally legit. Of course, The Hood is also a beneficiary of that philosphy on Dorammu's Aid. Dorammu's Aid is way ovepowered but, incredibly enough, it's not even the top 2 most powerful blue ability in the game because ATU and Magnetic Field exists.

At any rate just the fact that The Hood can be considered remotely in the same tier as Magneto or Spiderman shows that he has some serious issues, because those two characters are completely broken. No balanced character should be anywhere near the status of the two blue game-breaking powerhouses right now.
  • I like how this has become a Hood thread.

Continuing to stay off topic, I’m currently running 141 Pun, 141 Mag, 120 Hood as my “A” team. I’m actually really enjoying Hood’s yellow because my general strategy is:
    1) Get green for Punisher’s strike tiles
    2) Get blue for Mag to turn it into a ton of random AP
    3) Add Hood’s blue ability to further stockpile random AP
    4) Make a match or two of yellow to fire Hood’s pistols for even more AP whether it be Red/Black for Punisher or Purple for Mag
    The only thing I don’t like about this team is there are no strong purple match characters
  • entropic01 wrote:
    I like how this has become a Hood thread.

Continuing to stay off topic, I’m currently running 141 Pun, 141 Mag, 120 Hood as my “A” team. I’m actually really enjoying Hood’s yellow because my general strategy is:
    4) Make a match or two of yellow to fire Hood’s pistols for even more AP whether it be Red/Black for Punisher or Purple for Mag
    The only thing I don’t like about this team is there are no strong purple match characters

speaking of this, why the hell does mags not do high purple damage? It's his best skill.
  • I think c.Mags is one of Hood's best partners. Not just the colour coverage, but c.Mags actually can tank yellow despite not having a yellow ability. Plus he has great skills to mix up the board and create cascades to generate AP without having to actively tile match.
  • jozier wrote:
    The thing with Twin Pistols is that it is useless unless you have 5 in the skill. Dormammu's Aid is clearly Hood's best ability so a 5 there is a no brainer.

That makes the only real build a 5/5/3. You can go 3/5/5 but that means you need to plan to never have a use for Twin Pistols.

The real question is why would you ever want more than 3 points in black. The only character that makes more than 1 countdown tile at a time is IM40, and he makes 3.
  • grimeon wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    The thing with Twin Pistols is that it is useless unless you have 5 in the skill. Dormammu's Aid is clearly Hood's best ability so a 5 there is a no brainer.

The real question is why would you ever want more than 3 points in black. The only character that makes more than 1 countdown tile at a time is IM40, and he makes 3.

Supposedly there's a damage increase per number of covers added to black.
  • sms4002 wrote:
    entropic01 wrote:

speaking of this, why the hell does mags not do high purple damage? It's his best skill.

Pretty sure that's the point. Imagine if Mags was able to do match 3 damage while also collecting AP for the most powerful attack skill in the game? By offsetting it and making it so he cannot do a ton of damage with purple, it either forces you to use someone else who will probably not be as strong to tank purple, or else you get no damage from generating purple AP.
  • entropic01 wrote:

AP generation is like card advantage in MTG. If you have enough of it and your opponent do not, there's virtually no way you'll lose. The Hood is probably the 2nd highest AP generation character in the game (Magneto is by far #1) and his AP generation also works on defense unlike Magneto's. Both character's AP generation is just so far ahead of everyone else's that there's really nothing to be said about using both characters together other than that dead + dead = still dead. I don't think there's a point to talk about synergy about clearly broken character. You'd have to be try very hard to come up with a team that doesn't work with Magneto, and it's only slightly easier (as in, finding a team that doesn't work) with The Hood.
  • I don't know about "so far ahead of everyone else" -- pretty sure mStorm in desert/jungle will give either of those guys a run for their money, AP-generation wise.

That's mostly just a minor quibble though; obviously mStorm isn't nearly as viable in PvP as either of the others.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Lol we get it already
    you hate the hood and obw
    dead horse and all that

on the topic of magneto's pink
    I use Patch in middle slot to
    a) tank his pink
    b) maintain 3 color berserker rage icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • *sigh* This one makes me sad. I want to make a 3 star team with the hood eventually, but I don't have BP. Somehow I doubt I'm hitting the top ranks.

I'll probably just focus on grinding hulk for that last Punisher cover.
  • Phantron wrote:
    entropic01 wrote:

AP generation is like card advantage in MTG. If you have enough of it and your opponent do not, there's virtually no way you'll lose. The Hood is probably the 2nd highest AP generation character in the game (Magneto is by far #1) and his AP generation also works on defense unlike Magneto's. Both character's AP generation is just so far ahead of everyone else's that there's really nothing to be said about using both characters together other than that dead + dead = still dead. I don't think there's a point to talk about synergy about clearly broken character. You'd have to be try very hard to come up with a team that doesn't work with Magneto, and it's only slightly easier (as in, finding a team that doesn't work) with The Hood.

I wonder how many MtG players are here. I bet a ton because I see blue being referred to as "U" all the time. I bet a bunch of people are like **** does that mean. I've been playing off and on for almost 20 years now

In fact, I'm thinking of dropping this game to play more MTGO Modern
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Chimaera wrote:
    My GSBW is embarrassing 0/1/1. I think I got both from standard tokens. Or maybe that was only the red. I think there was a pvp during the last hunt that I scraped a top45 with some bleh team. Only time I've seen them up for rewards.

Haha, snap! I think I've seen unicorns in the wild more than I've seen GSBW covers. I also got them both from Standard pulls.

My Hood is currently at 2/3/3, so I'd really love a top 5 finish in this. With Dark Souls 2 hitting my 360 tray tonight, though, I honestly doubt it'll happen icon_razz.gif
  • Looks like a tough tourney:

* people have their BP at higher levels
    * people were tanking last 2 tourneys, so now they are hungry for some action
    * during last tourney Hood turned out to be very efficient a hero, so everyone wants him

on the bright side - it ends the same time as Hulk event.

on my way to grind to 300. Then we'll see, depending on my free time.
  • Impulse wrote:
    Black ranks only affect the number of tiles affected, and five ranks in yellow is the difference between twin pistols being worth using and not.
    Not quite correct. It's not part of the description, adding black covers will increase the damage component. Not much, at level 50 it seemed to be about 30 damage for going from 3 to 4, better than nothing though.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow. Really surprised to see Hood instead of 3* Thor as the rewards here. I still need Hood yellow and black, so I'm still in, as it's way easier to get a yellow here than in LRs. But wow - they really are testing the market on HP spend for covers on new heroes. At least I just maxed my BP, so shield spend should be at a minimum. I suppose I'll use the lack of Thor as an excuse to begin stockpiling ISO again for the X-Force buff?
    how much HP did you spend on BP covers if you don't mind me asking?
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess I can pull myself away from Dark Souls 2 for some Hood covers. I guess...