Fateful Showdown Challenge (By Request)

Options
bk1234
bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
For those who were not able to complete the RotGP Challenge, I am issuing a challenge to you, my fellow forum dwellers for this week’s Fateful Showdown. 

Tier 1: Complete the entire event with all objectives with one Planeswalker and one deck with 2 or fewer cycling cards. 

Tier 2: Tier 1 with the addition of: use a mono PW. 

Tier 3: Tier 1 with the addition of: Only use common and uncommon cards.

Tier 4: Tier 1 + 2 + 3

Tier 5: Tier 4 in “Standard” (current Limited Format — Origins, KLD, AER, ALH and HOU only) 

Objectives:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xjSh3d5p7NM8-DrQn3fH1HjtN69AbVAzrG6-eZ53C00

Good luck!!

Comments

• bk1234
    edited November 2017
    Options
    This is my Tier 1 winning deck which I use for FS every time it is run. (Nahiri) 

https://imgur.com/gallery/lSodh

• Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I did it with my Nahiri in standard and zero cycling but have only done up to final reward, would have to go back to finish the few other objectives left.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can I change decks or does it have to be the same deck for the full run?
  • Kinesia
    Options
    @Ohboy I believe it's same PW but you can tweak the deck... Some objectives get a bit too conflicty otherwise... (Yes, conflicty is a real word.)

• bk1234
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    Can I change decks or does it have to be the same deck for the full run?
    One deck. 
  • Kinesia
    Options
    Awww, meany! Hmmm. I wonder if I _can_ meet the other requirements I currently have missed then?
    I can do the 8 supports on Noxious with a bit of pain. Not so sure about some of the others.
  • Ohboy
    edited November 2017
    Options

Tier 5 complete. I had to redo 3.1 once. Can't beat the 4 turn dynavolt clock. 

Gideon 1:

https://imgur.com/a/DVAoE

• Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Dam, I wish I had seen this earlier. I already beat it with Gideon 1, but only to progression reward. I don't think I can beat Gearhulk with the deck, though.

Vizier of the True
    Glory-Bound Initiate
    Visionary Augmenter
    Solemn Recruit
    Knightly Valor
    Cartouche of Solidarity
    Gideon's Defeat
    Aerial Modification
    Forsake the Worthy
    Horned Khopesh

Favorite Origins planeswalker to play besides Lily.

Yeah, definitely does not beat the Gearhulk. One boomship takes out my line of creatures.
  • Kinesia
    Options
    My problem is speed... I could do 4 turn Nahiri win with a _different_ Nahiri deck, but not this one.
  • Ohboy
    Options
    well cast out is basically cheating because it solves every problem.
  • bk1234
    Options
    I’m still considering. Right now Elspeth and Koth are leading. Not sure I can make it to Tier 5 with either though. 
  • ertaii
    ertaii Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Tier 1 and 2 are already checked for me, I beat it with my Liliana 3 deck. 
  • Ohboy
    Options
    A tip for those trying out: the objectives are heavily discriminatory against spells, with one against creatures while supports are mandatory in the final node.

You should be building a support heavy deck that can survive on 2 creatures the entire game. As you start building with just Commons and Uncommons, you'll find cards being less efficient so any draw you can get is gold. 
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oh, I do tier 2 every event with Koth because it's so easy and he is so fast.  Perhaps I will try it as a tier 4 or 5 next week.
  • julianus
    julianus Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options

I've done this event a few times only using Liliana 3 and the following deck (though I stop after hitting 55 points, so I haven't bothered fighting the Gearhulk).

It's possible that I've tweaked the deck a little between matches (don't remember exactly), but if so only a little. This core of cards paired with Lil3's loyalty abilities works incredibly well, and her mana gains mean that you can count on casting at least one card almost every turn.

Creatures:

Lashweed Lurker

Malakir Cullblade

Banewhip Punisher

Spells:

Stir the Sands

Final Reward

Doomfall

Liliana's Defeat

Lethal Sting

Supports:

Trial of Ambition

Cartouche of Ambition

• babar3355
    Options
    Ohboy said:

Tier 5 complete. I had to redo 3.1 once. Can't beat the 4 turn dynavolt clock. 

Gideon 1:

https://imgur.com/a/DVAoE

Impressive, well done.

This takes me back in time to when OGW events first launched. I was relatively new to the game.  I had C1 at 60, G1 at 36 and the rest of the basics around 20.  I managed to take down Koziliek and the other bosses both weeks using a Thalia's Lieutenant and Iroas Champion first strike deck. 

It was rough and amazing when I won and frankly hooked me on the game.

I don't know how D3/Oktagon can replicate this experience for me without me self-inducing it, but it would be really cool if they could.  Perhaps drafts, pauper, or some other formats would help us attain this feeling of achieving something truly difficult rather than just trying to avoid losing a point or two here or there throughout an event.

I might try to drag Gideon up next time the event hits and see if I can get my blood pressure up with some old school MTGPQ. 

• Ohboy
    Options
    The event is still going I think. Go crazy. 
  • babar3355
    Options
    I think I will next time, but self imposed restrictions just aren't as good as game/set/collection imposed restrictions.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    babar3355 said:
    I think I will next time, but self imposed restrictions just aren't as good as game/set/collection imposed restrictions.
    Oh, hey! I'm just talking about exactly that in this thread!