Time to part ways

Options
proko5
proko5 Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
Dear D3go! 

It was the summer of 2017 and I, a teacher in my late 20s, finally had the most enjoyable rhythm with Marvel Puzzle Quest. I would wake up, complete my grind, do my next set of clears, run through DDQ, cash in those DDQ tokens, and then start my day. Periodically I'd check in to climb in PVP and collect my VIP and daily rewards. With latest legendary tokens only having what, 12 4*'s in it, I didn't have to freak out about too many covers and not enough time to champ them. As is par for the course, I would only earn 5* covers for the characters that aren't that exciting (DOC OCT) I was in control. It was sweet. The 4* transition was finally treating me well. I wasn't the best, wasn't the worst, able to make steady progress. Able to climb pretty easily to 900 and then shield. I continued with VIP, maintained some good relations in my alliance, and even participated in a couple of buys with some groups. Bliss? Maybe.... Then, the school year came along with changes to the game, which has brought me to the crossroads I am at. 

**These changes are not chronological, oh well. 

1. No more "vintage tokens." 
- A change I didn't really mind. I was grateful to finally champ my Iceman and Rulk and compete with the big boys in PVP. So I now have to hoard my legendary tokens. That's fine. I can deal with it and carry on business as normal. 

2. Five clears to earn progression. 
- Again, not a big change in the summer because my grind was what it was. During the school year, more bothersome. I can now only clear in the evenings because of the ending times in my timezone. So my clears are now longer. Great. Plus, why 4 grinds? Why is the system this way, unless you are hoping I'll spend money in health packs. 

3. CL 9 and 5* essentials. 
- CL9 yay! Now the whales are moving up. Wait, now there's 5* essentials?!?! Great...this means more time added to my grind. Also, the 5*'s have an increased difficulty... that's... fun... I could totally see this working in CL9, most of them have champs 5*'s anyway, but it's also in CL 7 as well. That doesn't make sense. I'm hanging out in CL7/8 because I'm focusing on 4*'s. Doesn't it make sense to have a CL focused on 4*'s? Guess not,  so let's just give power to the rich. Also, let's do multiple events with latest 5*'s so that everyone dumps out a lot of tokens to maybe... just maybe... get the one 5* they need. Still don't have DD. Now i have 20 4*'s that I'll sell for ISO, the one perk is it's Sandman, it would be terrible if it was a better one.

4. Boosted 5* in PVE
-Just another reminded that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Excuse me while I do not bust my butt to try and compete with champed 5*'s in CL7... Man, it would be great if 5*'s were just banned from CL7 to begin with... Oh well, I'll hang out in PVP

5. PVP win based progressions.
- Um, how does this seem like a good idea? Not only does it require more time, which I don't have thanks to PVE, but it also requires more resources because after all, even though the focus is on win based progression, points still determine your rank. So, do I choose one 3* and 4* cover, or compete for a few 3* covers? Let's face it, with 5*'s in CL 7, ain't nobody gonna be in top 10 unless you are skilled at sniping. It also doesn't seem like anybody enjoys this new change, but oh well. 

I love this game. I love the fact that in my three years of playing, my long awaited Gambit finally came and, is even OP! Great! Plus there's a 3* version of him so I can freely use him! Apocalypse was fun. Defenders pvp's were fun. The Sakarr arena was creative, just too long. DDQ is great. Venom bomb will always just be annoying, but bring back fond memories of the 2016 Christmas where we went back to back with brand new characters. It's also just really fun to have a match 3 game that has super hero characters! 

So, my VIP is still active, and while a complete cold turkey quit is out of the question (I still need something to do on long travels), my deep devotion is over. Unless, some of the changes started above are changed. This post is probably going to fall on deaf ears from it's target audience, and include a bunch of opinionated posts from others, but at least I did my part and voice my opinion. Carry on world. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    All reasonable reasons to quit/retire. I've done it, 4x now. Sometimes a break helps but other times it's for to best to say goodbye forever. Whatever you decide to do, best of luck! 
  • NMANOZ
    NMANOZ Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The problem with most developers and publishers are that the more money they get, the more they want. 

As a console gamer I have seen the rise of DLC and now micro-transactions into games.

Problem with this is that they focus on getting even more from big spenders instead of getting smaller purchases from more people. The thing is that 99.99% of people who have downloaded the game will ever fully champ every character in the game, largely due to the Iso required to level all of them. This was supposed to be a casual game but it in fact punishes those who don't play it all the time.

How many other games have max XP levels which require years of playing all the time to hit?
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    NMANOZ said:
    The problem with comsumer-oriented corporations and their products is that the more money they get, the more they want. 
    Fixed that for you. Good product is released at a decent price (or high entertainment value). Gets really popular. Corporations start cutting corners while raising price tag because they know that now they have a built in consumer base. The rest of your post follows from there.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The only real reason for quitting, I coud see, was you being heavily addicted.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Alsmir said:
    Been noticing there's a few of you forum psychiatrists around. Read a post and addiction diagnosis, eh?
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Alsmir said:
    Been noticing there's a few of you forum psychiatrists around. Read a post and addiction diagnosis, eh?
    I don't need a degree to notice that:

proko5 said:
    Dear D3go! 

It was the summer of 2017 and I, a teacher in my late 20s, finally had the most enjoyable rhythm with Marvel Puzzle Quest. I would wake up, complete my grind, do my next set of clears, run through DDQ, cash in those DDQ tokens, and then start my day. Periodically I'd check in to climb in PVP and collect my VIP and daily rewards. opinionated posts from others, but at least I did my part and voice my opinion. Carry on world. 
    Is a sympthom of a real problem.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I dont think its addiction as such (for most at least), rather habit.

A habit that creeps in un noticed, and then grows without you realising, until something happens to make you snap into focus and realise just how much commitment you have allowed a mobile game to demand.

I honestly believe everyone needs that reality check, because the game is so insidious in how it gets under your skin that it easily takes over your life without you noticing.

Of course, having had your moment of clarity - if you choose to play the same anyway then its up to you, at least its an informed decision.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    ....and they say it's the children who are not focused in lessons because of social media.
    All along it was teacher.
     :D:D:D:D
    Sorry I couldn't resist that one.
    I feel your pain teach.

All the best in your gaming future.
    Just remember, all mobile based  games want your money. 

• PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hey man, great 2nd post - thanks for keeping us updated on your status.  I was just wondering this morning "I wonder what that proko5 that dropped from SCL8 to SCL7 back in September is up to these days?"  And then BOOM - perfect timing on this update.  We'll be sad to see you go man, and we will definitely miss those insightful posts you've been making every 6 weeks or so.  Good luck out there!
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options

Your anger over the use of 5 stars is comically. Your suggestion is they shouldn't expand the game to include a whole tier simply because you haven't reached that status.

Boosted 5s helps those without champed 5s, yet you list it as a complaint. Your unusable 5 with four covers just became usable while essential and boosted.

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Routine relaxations /= addictions.
    One could argue that the only distinction between the two has to do with the net positive or negative impact of the activity on your life and the lives of those around you. I won't argue it, but I suspect the argument could be made.
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    Good luck on your future endeavors, señor proko5!!!!  

I think you have addressed the main problem with the win system.  In the olden days of point progression, you could pretty much set your point goal, set a 24 hour shield and relax.  Now you are forced to get 20 wins a day with no days off if you want all the prizes you were used to getting.  Go on vacation, you can get your 900 in 30 minutes and shield out.  This did not require collusion, just know your float point, save up some big queues and then make a hard push when you had some time, easy peasy Don Lemon squeezy, enjoy the rest of your day.  Is there not a way to tie progression to both wins and points?  D3, you can stop the burnout and make both sides happy if you do this!!!!!!!!
  • Justice Jacks
    Justice Jacks Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Alsmir said:
    Alsmir said:
    I don't need a degree to notice that:

proko5 said:
    Dear D3go! 

It was the summer of 2017 and I, a teacher in my late 20s, finally had the most enjoyable rhythm with Marvel Puzzle Quest. I would wake up, complete my grind, do my next set of clears, run through DDQ, cash in those DDQ tokens, and then start my day. Periodically I'd check in to climb in PVP and collect my VIP and daily rewards. opinionated posts from others, but at least I did my part and voice my opinion. Carry on world. 
    Is a sympthom of a real problem.

I wake up and pee. I do both every single day. Guess I too have a problem. As an aside, could you please buy a new couch. The padding in this one is really worn out from all the patients you diagnose.  
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think I'm gonna follow you out