***** Jean Grey (Phoenix) *****

12345679»

Comments

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Black Duke

Is she going to be your first 5*? if she is, then you just need to consider the impact she has on your MMR.

Pros:- 
    JG is one of the few 5* who can generate tiles on the board with her purple. and it is arguably her best move. Store purple till 14 or 21, unleash her purple and you get cascades galore. and in 5* land, cascades can be really deadly, especially with all the critical tiles that are generated. 

Her red generate decent strike tiles, but it’s hard to use because you can’t spam it. spam too much and you will create enemy attack tiles. 

Her green can be a hail mary move, once she is revived her green does good aoe dmg. The revive also helps to save health packs. 

Cons
    She is pretty much a one trick pony (though a really good one). after i have a few champ 5*, i realised that i don’t use her that much. it gets boring using her at times because i was only racing for purple. Her red dmg is quite poor in 5*, and not being able to spam it makes it difficult to use too. 

she is still a good 5* to champ, and as the first or second champ, she is really quite good. but because of power creep, her power has declined quite a lot. 
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Thanks for your detailed respond. @atomzed

Well, she would be my 5th 5* champion. My concern is that she wouldn´t work well with my other champions (Daredevil, Spider-Man, Silver Surfer, Gambit) since I already have a few (probably better) red/purple users.
  • atomzed
    Thanks for your detailed respond. @atomzed

Well, she would be my 5th 5* champion. My concern is that she wouldn´t work well with my other champions (Daredevil, Spider-Man, Silver Surfer, Gambit) since I already have a few (probably better) red/purple users.
    @Black Duke

she won’t work well with Gambit for sure! cos she can’t use her purple or red. 

but she will work well with SS because they only have 1 overlapping color in red. what i do with SS-Phx is to use only her red once (to generate her strike tiles to buff), and when i use SS blue, i charge red tiles. that gives triple dmg when you have red cascades galore. SS red is also cheap, so you can fire it often to utilise the strike tiles fully. 

i dont have a champ DD, but i reckon Phx will work well with him too. her red strike tiles will allow him to heal faster. his green will also double dip on the strike tiles. both have true heal ability so you will save health packs; in fact, you can enter a battle with 50% health and you won’t be too worried. the problem for Phx-DD pairing is that you will probably want to use phx purple, and DD purple becomes useless. 

all in all, i think Phx won’t change your 5* experience that much, but she will still be an additional tool among your 5* arsenal. if you have the iso, champ her. if you have to wait out, that’s also fine. 

btw, what’s her current build? if you have 5 purple you can bring her out for a spin other 5* to see your experience. 
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Spidey goes well with Phoenix also, use Phoenix's purple to gather red, get to 6 webs and watch the fireworks.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    She works really well with Gambit if you do 0/0/5  :(:(
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 548 Critical Contributor
    HELP! I’m unbelievably outdated and overshadowed!
  • Glockoma
    HELP! It’s been over a year since I wrote this and still no change, *YIKES*

Funny thing is, I recently played against boss Phoenix in one of the PVE’s with a whole new set of skills that were really great. How come they can add that in and can’t find the time to help out our of Phoenix.....hmmmm
  • atomzed
    Erm? What do you want to know about Phoenix? She’s a good red battery. Currently that’s about it. 
    She may be good with IHulk? I can’t wait to try that team out actually. 
  • Glockoma
    @atomzed No, no I know all about Phoenix  ***looks out into the distance***...she was my first 5*...all those years ago...

I’m a pretty avid rebalancing advocate and I peruse the character discussions related to 5*’s to catch people opinions or insights. I just happened to notice my own comment from over a year ago when talks of rebalancing first came along and never materialized.

As far as a decent iHulk partner? I’ve tried them together and they are decent in terms of climbing. But it’s really not as fun as you would imagine since hulk talk all colors except purple, kills himself before you can accelerate his red, then you leave the match to find you have been attacked 5 times. There are better options out there, honestly. And she is not that scary anymore when transformed. 

Thanks brother!
  • Wil88
    Wil88 Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    I can’t believe how terrible this character is. I recently champed her and now that she’s the essential 5 for Morbius’ Welcome to SHIELD event I thought it would be easy. 
    Nope. 
    Finally resorted to Whales on the Riri/Mockingbird node after several tries

She really didn’t feed red as easily as I thought she would. 
    Was she any good at any point?
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wil88 said:
    I can’t believe how terrible this character is. I recently champed her and now that she’s the essential 5 for Morbius’ Welcome to SHIELD event I thought it would be easy. 
    Nope. 
    Finally resorted to Whales on the Riri/Mockingbird node after several tries

She really didn’t feed red as easily as I thought she would. 
    Was she any good at any point?
    She's still ok at her main purpose, adding a lot of red on the board, for best results you need to wait until you get 14 purple or wait for a favorable board rich in red.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    This thread needs to be updated with her new buffs. 

She’s a force to be reckoned with now. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022

Enh, I still don't find her that threatening.  I think the buff bright her up to where she isnt comically weak like the other first gen 5*s, but I don't actually fear her in any unless the ai gets a wild cascade.

Note: boss rush Phoenix still terrifies me to this day. . .

• atomzed
    Vhailorx said:

Enh, I silk don't find her that threatening.  I think the buff bright her up to where she isnt comically weak like the other first gen 5*s, but I don't actually fear her in any unless the ai gets a wild cascade.

I am hoping that they would bring back Boss Rush. With the tools that we have now, I think boss rush would be much more manageable. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    atomzed said:
    Vhailorx said:

Enh, I [still] don't find her that threatening.  I think the buff bright her up to where she isnt comically weak like the other first gen 5*s, but I don't actually fear her in any unless the ai gets a wild cascade.

I am hoping that they would bring back Boss Rush. With the tools that we have now, I think boss rush would be much more manageable. 
    Yup, and OG gambit would fit into the current 1b meta quite nicely too, at least when SC wasn't eating him alive.

OG OML might even make it up to "meh" tier. . .
  • Glockoma
    I have to say, post-buff, I still feel the same as before she received her number boost: 

her revive tile should be fortified.

I am experiencing the same problems as before in where her tile gets cleared by the line or an enemy match or any number of other factors.

This feeling is compounded by the fact we have a new meta that might be approaching with She-Hulk (Immortal) and iHulk.