**** Punisher (Max) ****

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What color conflict? R&G don't have active abilities, do they?
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It could be that Punisher only buffs strike tiles generated after the first turn. A lot of powers are like that. Carnage, for example, won't start generating attack tiles until your second turn.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    It could be that Punisher only buffs strike tiles generated after the first turn. A lot of powers are like that. Carnage, for example, won't start generating attack tiles until your second turn.
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking, although it's still weird why his ability would 'care' when the tiles were created.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So, I was right? lol
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Punisher, Cloak and Dagger, and Vulture is pretty despicable.

Horrendous on defense, but on offense it's gross.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus said:
    I have tried a few team combinations with Punisher in the Simulator now. I have never experienced such an awful losing-streak before! Took me 20 minutes and all my healthpacks was spent, I hadn't downed a single enemy and not seen one of Punishers great animations once.

There's really no reason to play if not using one of the two A-teams. It's just frustrating.
    This is a real problem. I keep champing new 4-stars or revisiting my old ones and trying new things in the SHIELD sim, but they take too much time. I end up having to go back to Grocket/Gamora/Medusa because that team is faster than a cheetah, or Mr.F/Medusa/Carnage because that team will outlast and wear down any other team this side of the 5-star tier.

I have a freshly champed Rogue in my roster and I can't even work her in reliably because she's too slow and doesn't synergize with anyone as well as the above A-teams. Punisher is the same - great character, but too slow for reliable PvP play.

But... at least he's fun when boosted in PvE.
  • Rick_OShay
    Options
    I'm looking forward to trying a Pun, Ant-Man and either Mockingbird or Blade vs the Sim teams. 
    It's probably only good once, but if you can rush blue to have Ant-Man steal the enemy strikes, while playing his cheap yellow for more strikes and damage, then Punisher can greatly benefit his big black. Once 1 enemy is downed, then play his green for good 2-enemy damage, and you may even have AM's attack tiles adding up by now. If you brought Bobbi, hopefully you've earned a free power or two, or if it was Blade you hope to have been adding his strikes all along (or accumulated enough red for bloodlust to be wrecking). 
    Then.... you're probably switching to a different team again, ha.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    He's not boosted, but always a good option in Iron Fist's pvp.  Unboosted, I can actually run his full combo and see what kind of damage he does with 6-7 strike tiles on the board.  When he's boosted it's always overkill because his green does so much damage the last guy is half health before I use the true Punish.  
  • Rick_OShay
    Options
    The 4* ranking is at the link below and many on the forum here agree with the numbers. It still has Punisher ranked #8. He used to be #4 which I was always surprised about, but he has moved down due to Carol, Vulture etc. moving way up. 

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/56176/a-mostly-accurate-4-ranking-updated-10-24

Be sure to read this in case you are missing something about the play strategy, BUT, I still don't get the hype yet. Maybe top 20? Maybe? I'm finally champing him tomorrow.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    PunMax is slow in that you can't just rush purple with Fist to make black.  I only pull the trigger on the green black combo if I have at least 14 black ready, and I usually have enough blue for one cast also.  Ideal scenario I would have enough green to cast both Fist's green before he gets stunned.  In those ideal situations I was getting 12-13k for 7 black.  
  • Rick_OShay
    Options
    @mexus
    I've finally played with a champed Pun a bit now and I think we were missing something before. He can be amazing.
    As suggested in various places, I agree his green should not be played until you have 1 enemy downed. Fire it with 2 (or just 1) enemies left and it hits quite hard. Be sure to have at least 7 black when you do this, and have 3-4 strikes on the board - and another enemy will go down.

So, maybe we were trying too hard to play his blue before everything else? I'm having much better results to just bring another strike tile maker, and Pun's blue can be an afterthought. His black should do around 9K+ damage if you have just a few strikes out, for 7 AP. 

Friends with strikes: Nova, Ant-Man, Blade, Kate Bishop, Rocket & Groot, PX, IW, KP kinda, sometimes Elektra (plus she steals black)
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Anon said:
    Punisher, Cloak and Dagger, and Vulture is pretty despicable.

Horrendous on defense, but on offense it's gross.
    One tip on this team...Vulture's Airborne doesn't count as "Stunned" for Punisher's Army of One.
  • AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Been experimenting with Pun lately. His abilities are strong and his animations super cool, though I do think a battery really benefits him. He's just so slow without one since you want to have both green and black ready to fire.

I've been running Pun + IM40 + strike tile maker (I tried Bl4de, Polaris and Echo).

Unsurprisingly, Polaris is the best (and most boring) option. She can either start multiplying from her initial strike tile, or after Recharge, firing her blue. She will take the first kill and leave Pun in a great position for his green/black combo. His black is devastating with Polaris' strike tile spam on the field.

Bl4de and Echo have pros and cons to each.

Blade gives passive strike tiles, and after Recharge, passive damage that will help get your first kill somewhere. However, his actives have complete color overlap with Pun's combo and are therefore useless. In that, he's unfortunately literally just a subpar Polaris here: strike tiles but less of them, damage but random instead of directed, no actives (vs Polaris adds a blue stun).

Meanwhile, one of Echo's red is 3* IF's ability to make black tiles. So, not only does Recharge give Pun green, Echo can feed him black! She also provides passive strike tiles as long as she tanks colors (red and purple here). However, she doesn't have much damage on her own here beyond the occasional trap tile proc, leaving most of the work to Pun himself.

For enemy teams with a lot of health, Polaris will feel a lot better to play because of the ease of the first kill and the insane strike tile production. For regular 4* team opponents, Echo is more synergistic and will also get the job done.