*** The Hood (Classic) ***

Comments

• Bombul wrote:
    I'm not sure what the big deal is; yes it gains you 18 tiles. Classic Storm's green ability costs only 12 AP, gains a ton of AP as well, and doesn't end the turn. Modern Storm does even better, with 10 AP for 16 tiles gain all the time.

Yes, but both Storms destroy tiles at random. Not once it happened to me that Storm failed to give me that one or two AP I needed to fire up another skill. While with The Hood you can choose which AP you will get and also potentially set up 4s and 5s for your move.
    Bombul wrote:
    Otherwise, at such low health, he is just fair game every time. Doesn't last long enough in a game to utilise his mana leech as a deterrence in defence.

I didn't level him up, so I am aware of his low HP. But on the other hand, it's passive, so it works right from the beginning, so he doesn't have to live very long to change the course of battle. Those APs he will steal in first couple rounds will cripple your enemy a little and help you to gain advantage.
    And yes, I know am just theorizing, but I will give up only if I check him in practice icon_e_wink.gif
    Bombul wrote:
    Even when you consider Intimidate for allies with countdown tiles, just look at the level progression. Anything above level 3 is probably unnecessary.

Yes, I agree with you on this. Even though new Iron Man can dish out 3 countdown tiles at once, I still reckon that having more than 3 cd tiles on board will be rare occasion. I would prefer to be able to fire Intimidation more often even at cost of affecting less cd tiles.
    e.g.
    Level 2 +1 tile
    Level 3 -1 AP
    Level 4 +1tile
    Level 5 -2 AP
  • Played twice now against someone who has a mid/upper 40s Hood.

Be afraid.

The black power can result in you not being able to generate enough AP to use your powers, while at the same time providing his team additional AP. My first match I was able to down Thor, but after that I simply could not generate the AP and The Hood kept blasting me every 3-4 rounds with a 300 damage Intimidate (even though there were no counters on the board). Once he'd killed off my second character (running Jugg/Thor/IM) the last one was stun locked by Black Widow and I got to watch Thor go from nearly full health to dead without being able to do a thing.

Second time around went better, with better luck on the board and I knew to take out The Hood early (even while concentrating on Thor).

He's certainly a support character, but he's a very effective one.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    Played twice now against someone who has a mid/upper 40s Hood.

Be afraid.

The black power can result in you not being able to generate enough AP to use your powers, while at the same time providing his team additional AP. My first match I was able to down Thor, but after that I simply could not generate the AP and The Hood kept blasting me every 3-4 rounds with a 300 damage Intimidate (even though there were no counters on the board). Once he'd killed off my second character (running Jugg/Thor/IM) the last one was stun locked by Black Widow and I got to watch Thor go from nearly full health to dead without being able to do a thing.

Second time around went better, with better luck on the board and I knew to take out The Hood early (even while concentrating on Thor).

He's certainly a support character, but he's a very effective one.

I had the same experience once, and underestimated The Hood. Once I realised he was leeching me of my AP, I focused on him and things became easier once he's dead. That made me consider using him in my team , but I decided against it after factoring in his low health, and the fact that he had no way of avoiding focus fire. If he did, I would have taken him solely on the basis of his blue skill, never mind the other 2.
  • Who is 'the 'target' on The Hood's black ability? I assume he does damage to the enemy and not the countdown's owner....
  • Who is 'the 'target' on The Hood's black ability? I assume he does damage to the enemy and not the countdown's owner....

The target refers to character in front of enemy team
  • In my experience using The Hood, I would say that a 5/5/3 is the best build. His blue skill is the only one that I find remotely useful, though. That said, it still is pretty limited as in the current meta it doesn't take very many rounds (I'd say around 5 average) to finish your enemy off. As stated before, his yellow skill is OK, but it's at a high cost and there are better options (granted not for yellow AP and random) for generating AP for less. His black skill could be useful in certain teams, but is useless otherwise except for doing some damage.

Overall, he would work well in very specific countdown teams (Iron Man 40, Magneto (MN!), Hawkeye) but otherwise, not that great.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Hood is my most-favorite minion, and central to all of my nefarious plans. I currently have him teamed with Ragnarok, who is an excellent tank for poor, squishy The Hood. Ragnarok handles the load, while The Hood lingers in the background gathering his color. When Ragarok has exhausted himself (and his insane cascades) The Hood pulls out his twin pistols and generates more red to revitalize Ragnarok. When all that is failing, their third companion is 2* Magneto and his wonderful purple/blue combination. The Hood likes to intimidate this devious mutant and speed up his timers.

Yes, Dormammu likes his three main minions. Now if only Dr. Strange would show himself...
  • Hood + 2star Magneto + something large with lots of HP and a decent green/red power.

Hood with 5yellow, 5 blue, 3 black (really do you need to lower the count down on 4 or 5 tiles? not imo).
    Mag with 5blue, 5 purple, 3 red
    Something else, probably Thor has requisite HP and red/green

Combo gives you good tile match damage on ALL colours, and useful skills on all colours so no matter what the board throws at you, you can use it (except those poxy environment tiles!).

Hoods blue skill is very useful, free AP of any sort is nice and taking ap from your opponent can make all the difference.
    Nuff said about his yellow, its end game and rarely gets used, but its awesome.
    Black skill is good for combo with Mags and also does OK damage for is reasonably 9 cost so can be used as free damage if no countdowns going.
    Mags purple skill ... free blue AP and if used right 1 or 2 critical tiles.
    Mags blue skill at 5 is insane, clear the whole board?? lol
    Then there is trusty Thor to do easy damage from red and make some yellow tiles and green if you happen to get a lot of them, yellow if you don't want to wait for Hood.

You could also substitute wolverine for Thor, less HP but regen, strike tiles and cheap green damage + big red damage if you get a bunch of tiles.

Overall I really like Hood, great combo card.

Oh and the thing people don't realise, he has a VERY high critical multiplier as well, 4.5%, best I have seen so far, and since he is 3star his level caps higher than mags, he will always take the blue tile matches from mag purple power, and where possible critical matches for blue/black/yellow.

His low HP is his only drawback
  • Can anyone explain to me how does the hood's blue power works?

Mine is currently at level 4 and it seems that it works better than my expectation. Sometimes i stole 2 ap at once.

when it says "if there's 9 blue, purple, red or green ap on the board", does it mean that if the sum of blue, purple, red or green equals to 9 or more?

And how does the skill decide which ap to steal? it seems like my hood stole blue first then green.

IceIX, can you help to enlighten us?

Thanks!
  • Blue power checks every colour individually.

So at Level 5 it will check all 6 colours, and if there are more than 9 tiles of that colour on the board then it will take one of that colour from the opponent (if they have any of that colour).

So yes you can get multiple ap, I regularly get 2 or 3, but of course only ever 1ap per colour per turn.
  • Aleatory wrote:
    Blue power checks every colour individually.

So at Level 5 it will check all 6 colours, and if there are more than 9 tiles of that colour on the board then it will take one of that colour from the opponent (if they have any of that colour).

So yes you can get multiple ap, I regularly get 2 or 3, but of course only ever 1ap per colour per turn.

I had the same thinking as you. But that's not the case with my hood, that's why i'm wondering how does it really works.

i'm thinking the description should be "if the sum of blue, purple, red and green is more than 9 on both your and your enemy's board, steal 1 of that colour (and the priority is blue, then purple, then red, then green)"

That's what happen to my hood.

If that's true, then the hood is indeed on par with other 3* characters as he doesn't have high damage ability at all other than AP generation.

Would you care to try again Aleatory? what level is your hood's blue skill?
  • Pucco wrote:
    Aleatory wrote:
    Blue power checks every colour individually.

I had the same thinking as you. But that's not the case with my hood, that's why i'm wondering how does it really works.

i'm thinking the description should be "if the sum of blue, purple, red and green is more than 9 on both your and your enemy's board, steal 1 of that colour (and the priority is blue, then purple, then red, then green)"

That's what happen to my hood.

If that's true, then the hood is indeed on par with other 3* characters as he doesn't have high damage ability at all other than AP generation.

Would you care to try again Aleatory? what level is your hood's blue skill?

OK I have no idea what you are talking about, you explanation makes no sense at all.

The wording is simple and unambiguous, and works exactly as I described, the description at level 5 is (removing the flavour waffle): "Each turn, steal 1AP of any colour that has more than 9 tiles on the board."

And it does exactly that, I have it skill 5 and have been using it regularly.

If the enemy has 2 of each colour, and on the board there are 10 tiles of red, black and yellow, I will steal 1 red, 1 black and 1 yellow. You cannot steal a colour they do not have.
  • ups sorry. i think i got it all wrong with "on the board" wording. geezzz silly me. now i understand.

thanks Aleatory icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • I was looking at going with thor, spiderman and the hood, complete colors- spamming thor's red ability will help get red hoods yellow with in turn does damage and gains ap, c.spiderman is gonna be my support with his stun and healing...still working on it, the hoods black ability seem useful to me, others have their own uses obviously, icon_e_wink.gif
  • The Hood+classic Spiderman
    Both blue abilities at 5

McHammer once said "Can't touch this"
  • The Hood+classic Spiderman
    Both blue abilities at 5

McHammer once said "Can't touch this"

And with your thor, team completes.

Stop.. Hammer time!
  • My Hood is currently 5/5/3 and his blue ability Dormamu's Aid is not working properly, actually its not working at all!

The whole match I used him he didn't steal one single AP yet his ability kept triggering!
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    cedhun wrote:
    My Hood is currently 5/5/3 and his blue ability Dormamu's Aid is not working properly, actually its not working at all!

The whole match I used him he didn't steal one single AP yet his ability kept triggering!
    Are you sure the opponent had the right color AP for you to steal?
  • Im currently sitting on a 5/5/3 Hood! Is that the best way to level him with covers?

I can't tell what the damage scaling is on his yellow, and his black seems to scale off levels alone and not both level and # of covers.

Can anyone clarify how he scales damage wise and what's his best build?!
  • Yeah I double checked that, there was over 9 tiles of a specific color and sill blue ability was not collecting AP.