Looking for advice (some time veteran, but new mobile account)

Options
AardvarkPepper
AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
edited October 2017 in Roster and Level Help
I have some experience in MPQ, but I started a new mobile account and am looking for advice.

I'll have 19 slots available soon.  I plan to use thirteen of them for 2*s (all of them except Bagman - is Bag-Man ever an Essential Node character?  He's limited so I don't know.).  The fourteenth slot I'm rostering 1* Iron Man, the fifteenth slot 3* Doctor Strange, the That leaves four slots to fill in.  The question is what to put in, and how to get them?

As "favorite character" I currently have 3* Doctor Strange, 4* Spider-Woman, 5* Doctor Strange.  Any recommendations to change that up?

My 3* Doctor Strange is currently at 2/1/1.  Got lucky with some gold-heart pulls.  I plan to use CP to boost 3* Doctor Strange's cover count (starting with his passive yellow) to get him to champion pretty quickly.  Any recommendations to do differently? I also plan to keep him as a gold-heart character so I may pull random covers for him.  Again, any recommendations to do differently?  (Since I have one cover of each color, maybe I should gold-heart a different 3*?  Maybe Kamala Khan, maybe Scarlet Witch?)

As to 4* and 5*, I really don't know what I ought to use - preferably characters that will work well with an assorted roster of 2*s, and be able to handle situations 3* Doctor Strange can't.  I'm guessing something to counter passives would be good, but I can't think of anything offhand that stops passives.  I only plan to keep one 4* and one 5* unless otherwise recommended (since pulling the same cover off gold-heart selections can give more covers for a particular character).

I'm also at the point that I'll be thinking about rostering some more 3*s.  Not sure what those ought to be, again the emphasis is on stuff that will work with assorted 2*s, hopefully stuff that can work well and *quickly* at SCL 4 (enemy levels up to 130).  I'm pretty sure I need some major damage in there somewhere and some way to deal with passives and maybe regenerator, open to suggestions.

I know I'll be getting 3* covers from championing then adding covers to 2*s.  Of those, which ought I to keep, and which to sell off?  So coming in (eventually) are 3*s Ragnarok, Black Widow, Bullseye, Captain Marvel, Daken, Hawkeye, Human Torch, Magneto, Hulk, Steve Rogers, Storm, Thor, Wolverine.  I think I can only keep perhaps three or so considering all the other 3*s I think may be better.  Any recommendations for what to keep, what to get rid of?  At the moment, my priority list looks something like Steve Rogers, Wolverine, Daken, sell rest.

==

Currently in line:

3* Gamora (two red covers) , 3* Human Torch, 3* Wolverine, 3* Mystique, 2* Bagman.  Recommendations?  Sell Bagman, keep any of them?

==

By the way - I am not planning on hoarding regular, Heroic, or Elite tokens.  I do plan to hoard Legends tokens, as I don't think I want to blow a bunch of 4*s covers for iso).  But otherwise, whatever tokens I can get, I plan to open so I can get 2* covers, as I need to build the roster.  I plan to at least hit champion on all the 2*s, then I might think about doing something different with hoarding tokens or something, who knows.

As to Deadpool daily tokens, I'm hoarding at the moment; waiting for a 3* I like to have a few covers in the the prize pool, then I'll blow the load.

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    19 roster slots is not enough. You will need well over a hundred (and counting). Don't spend hero points on anything but roster slots. Yes, you should roster more 3*s, until you have them all.
    Bag man is never essential.
    3* Strange is a fine favorite hero. It's up to you, but I'd keep the same (and only one) 3* "hearted" until you get them to 13 covers and preferably championed. Then choose a different one.

4*s and 5*s won't matter that much. The advice of myself and others here is to never spend CP on legendary tokens or open legendary tokens until you have around half of the 3* characters championed, and preferably all of them on your roster.

3* Torch is the biggest standout in your list. If you're making tough choices right now, he's a keeper. You will eventually want them all, however.

Depending on what your 2*s look like, don't bother with putting ISO into your 3*s until either they have about 9 covers (3/3/3) or all your 2*s are already championed. 3*s do not compete with 2*s when they have fewer covers than this, and some aren't even good until something like 5/3/3. (Mystique is one example of this; she has one damaging power, and it's terrible until 5 covers)
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'd set the 4 star bh to carol, grocket, or medusa. 5 star to thanos. HP for roster slots is your top priority right now.
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    First, as usual, @Jaedenkaal's advice is spot-on. Go with that; I totally agree with his advice on 3* Torch; he'll be useful to you for the next several months at least. His advice about when to ISO into 3* also makes sense, but keep an eye on the cover distribution; an 0/0/4 Strange is worth ISO in a 2* roster, as an extreme edge case.

I also agree with your token strategy; spend everything except legendaries and CP. You'll get a few 4* covers you might have to sell or roster, but you'll get a lot more 2 and 3* covers you can use. 

A couple of other things:
    Bagman is essential in one off-season PVE event per year. He's a completely vanity character; some people strive to max champ him just so they can say they have; if that appeals to you, then great, otherwise sell him.

3* Wolverine is a mixed bag. Self healing is awesome, but you need to be very careful about his powers, esp. green. If you can control the purple strikes or end the match, great, otherwise you can cause yourself a lot of self damage. 

Lastly, since you'll want to eventually roster all 3*, the order that you do so is not that important. If you have several and make a choice, choose one that's either powerful and fun to play. The order doesn't matter much in the long run, so if you draw (say) Beast, and you like Beast, then roster him. He may be lower-mid tier, but he is fun to play.

Have fun, and good luck!

• AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the tips all :D