5* Thor Arena Issue

RTA3000
RTA3000 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
Apologies if this has already been posted but I couldn't find one.

Right, so, a new 5* character has been introduced - as is normal - however the only way to get him (or Hulk when he arrives) is through PVP. Now I'm a mainly free-to-play guy, I pay monthly for my VIP and the occasional hero pack when i need(ed) to extend my roster so I don't have a massively champed roster, a couple of 4* champed and a few un-champed 5s in the mix. I mainly play PVE because PVP is totally out of my realm, I regularly come across teams with multiple 5* and C4rol/Medusa etc and basically I can't compete at all. 

So when the Thor (Gladiator) event came along I thought "oooh this could make versus interesting for me and allow me to get a new character". WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, I went to play the event and was faced with 5* Jean, 5* Gambit and 5* Bolt all champed, other nodes were just as bad. Seriously D3, you've made a new character and event completely inaccessible unless you are willing to put $$$$$ into the game. This is an event I have nothing to do with!

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Have you leveled your 5* at all? Because I'm sitting at about a dozen 4* champs (highest 278), and most of the 5* at 255, and I'm seeing mostly 4* teams, with the occasional unchamped 5*, and surprisingly, even some 3* teams.
  • RTA3000
    hmm, highest 5* is Iron Man at 280, everyone else is the standard 255. unfortunately I've not seen any 3* teams, i guess my luck just isn't coming around :(
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    You should go ahead and play it, I've seen the big 5* teams in my group of 20 but you don't actually fight them.

• MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    @RTA3000 - if you join each round right as it starts (i.e. within the very first minute), you should be able to fight 3-10 seed teams before getting any real opponents in your queue. That will get you to either 100 or 200 points, which (and this is heavily dependent on your 20 man bracket) may be able to get you t1 or t2.

"Pro"-tip: use your "A" team even for seed team clearing, and you won't get hit (as much), and you'll keep more points (which will get you more tokens by event end). It's harder on the healthpacks, but not by much.
    Tip #2: join in the first minute, but only clear 1 seed. Then, clear the rest of them in the *last* 15 minutes of the round - you won't appear in very many queues if you only have 38pts for most of the event. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you just play seed teams you can get top 50-100 for the event and get 5-6 tokens for the store .  That is better than the 2 tokens you get in boss events.  The main difference is no CP, no HP, and no 4* progression covers.  You can get significantly more iso and a lot of heroic and standard tokens to farm your 2* though
  • RTA3000
     Brilliant tips guys, really appreciate it. I'll keep my eye on start times and try and join at the beginning.
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    I love my bracket, they all seem to be on a different schedule than me so I have been able to get the top spot most of the time with just the seed team matches.

When they are active I struggle to get top 10 placement though, they have some killer 5* rosters.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:
    If you just play seed teams you can get top 50-100 for the event and get 5-6 tokens for the store .  That is better than the 2 tokens you get in boss events.  The main difference is no CP, no HP, and no 4* progression covers.  You can get significantly more iso and a lot of heroic and standard tokens to farm your 2* though

Depends what bracket you're in. I'm stuck with high level players who are constantly playing, while my alliance mates have brackets where no one is playing and they're finishing 1st place just fighting seeds. The highest I placed was T5 and I'm 500 overall.

Anyways, this event truly is disappointing. It reminds me of the original PvE that required us to grind every 3hrs. It's not fun. It's not original and I hope this isn't how new 5*s will be released. The second run of this with Hulk will be a slog. Bring back Boss PvE, Apocalypse was great.
  • RTA3000

Yeah I'm struggling, due to having a life - and a beautiful baby girl - I keep missing the start of each round, I guess this is why PVE works better for me. This frantic event where timing is next level important, and 5* rosters are in play... I just can't compete. 
    Which means I won't get the new Thor meaning I'll be setback on future PVEs that require
    him - as is the trend - cheers D3.
  • Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    This isn't the Thor release. It's kind of a bonus extremely bad chance at getting one cover. They said there will be a real release starring on nov 2nd. Even if you finish first overall there is less than a 2% chance of getting a five star and only 1/3 of those will be Thor. 
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Copps said:
    This isn't the Thor release. It's kind of a bonus extremely bad chance at getting one cover. They said there will be a real release starring on nov 2nd. Even if you finish first overall there is less than a 0.2% chance of getting a five star and only 1/3 of those will be Thor. 
    Fixed that for you...