Is PvE difficulty based on roster or SCL choice?

Options
I thought I saw that there was a difference between SCL 7 and 8 difficulty for nodes, but recently I've read this is based on roster. Can someone confirm which is correct? 

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It is entirely based on SCL now. It is a relatively recent change (a few months or so), so there are a lot of posts around that still have info about the old system.
  • veneretio
    veneretio Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    Excellent, thank you. I thought that was the case because SCL 8 I found quite hard/time consuming whereas SCL 7 has been really easy. I was worried I could have been playing SCL 8 this whole time for the same difficulty.
  • dadows
    dadows Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Options
    Are the point levels different per SCL? I’m playing in SCL 6, but even with optimized grinding some people in my alliance have higher point totals. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dadows said:
    Are the point levels different per SCL? I’m playing in SCL 6, but even with optimized grinding some people in my alliance have higher point totals. 
    SCL7-9 have an additional node, so anyone playing in those levels will get substantially more points than someone playing in 1-6, yes.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Depends how you define "difficulty". Placement? Time spent? Strength of your opponents? 

I'm knocking on the door of 40 4-star champs, and I've found that the difference in the amount of time I spend clearing CL7 and CL8 is really only about 10 minutes worth. I was never one of those people who could clear in "30 minutes", but then again I absolutely refuse to just throw Thanos/RBG at everything. I like switching up my teams, and using the best team for the enemy combination that I'm facing. One thing I've definitely noticed however, is that even those shiny "30 minute" clears can mean nothing in CL7 where quite a lot of other people can do it too. I have quite a few alliance mates who were clearing faster than they ever have before, and still weren't making even t20 in CL7. On the other hand, with my 1-hour ish clears in CL8 I've been able to pull off t10 rather consistently.

I was working with 3 out of the 4 essential characters not being fully covered for Thick as Thieves, so I went 7 just for the sake of lower health pools to chew through. But usually when I'm running on all cylinders a good boosted nuke drops the CL8 goons just as quickly, and I can tank enemy abilities just as well. Main point here, once your roster gets to a certain level, PVE difficulty feels rather trivial unless your in CL9.