What am I doing wrong

ChunkyGraeme
ChunkyGraeme Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
Hi fellow players.

So I look at these forums a fair bit but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. 

I currently have over 300,000 iso8 and literally nothing to spend it on because all I ever get are useless 1, 2 or 3* character covers often for characters I anyway have champed, or 4* characters I don't have yet. Should I just be spending as much as possible on new roster slots and just collect everything for the sake of it? Am I spending my tokens, cp and coins wrong?

Advice welcome.

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    You should be buying new roster slots all the time, yes. Don't spend your hero points on anything else. I'd need to know more about your roster before I could offer any more advice than that.

300,000 ISO isn't that much; it'll take more than that just to fully level one 4* character.

Welcome to the forum :)
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    A new(er) player is going to run an ISO surplus until they start champing a lot of 3-stars. About halfway through champing all the 3-stars (yep, you need to champ them all) you'll encounter your first ISO deficit. You will never leave it from that point on.

Use ALL of your HP to buy roster slots until you have everyone on roster (or room for everyone) and you run a surplus on HP over the release of new characters.

Hoard your CP and LTs until you are ready to jump into the 4-star tier (you'll want at the very least half of your 3-stars champed before doing this, if not all of them).
  • ChunkyGraeme
    ChunkyGraeme Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Thank you friends.

Seems I have been spending my hero points unwisely.

I was also under the impression that having champed 6 or so 3*s meant it was time to push my 4* game but it sounds like I'm jumping the gun.

Thanks for giving me some direction as I was getting frustrated at my lack of progress. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Once you've rostered all... 45(?) 3*s, you can start pushing your 4* game. Ok maybe not all of them. Maybe... 37 or so. You will want/need to roster and champ them all eventually, though. Bonus Heroes is a great system for targeting a new 3* to collect and champ. Only have one bonus hero selected for each tier at a time. Change it every time you get one, if you want, but only one at a time.

Definitely save your CP and legendary tokens until then, or you have a huge chance of pulling a cover for a character you don't have and can't use.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thank you friends.

I was also under the impression that having champed 6 or so 3*s meant it was time to push my 4* game but it sounds like I'm jumping the gun.
    I didn't champ my first 4* until I had, I think, something like 16 or so 3* champs, and I was still kind of worried that I was moving too fast. Didn't want to waste that 14th Medusa cover, tho, so I took the plunge. It worked out alright with a reasonably solid base of 3* champs, but it wouldn't have hurt to have held off even a bit longer.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    A new(er) player is going to run an ISO surplus until they start champing a lot of 3-stars. About halfway through champing all the 3-stars (yep, you need to champ them all) you'll encounter your first ISO deficit. You will never leave it from that point on.

Use ALL of your HP to buy roster slots until you have everyone on roster (or room for everyone) and you run a surplus on HP over the release of new characters.

Hoard your CP and LTs until you are ready to jump into the 4-star tier (you'll want at the very least half of your 3-stars champed before doing this, if not all of them).
    This is excellent advice.

Thank you friends.

Thanks for giving me some direction as I was getting frustrated at my lack of progress. 
    I wish I joined these forums when I was at where you are. Just follow our advice and you'll be doing great in no time!
  • Tyrlaan
    Tyrlaan Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Dormammu said:

Hi there - first time poster, long time player. 

This here kind of slapped me in the face. Hard. 

Is there a writeup somewhere about the strategy you allude to here? Should I be champing ALL 3 stars and ALL 2 stars? Is this to maximize your ability to participate in all events?
  • Dormammu
    It is common practice (among those of us here on the forums at least) to champ all the 2-stars and 3-stars. In fact, many of us 'farm' them. Farming is definitely common for 2-star covers because of the swift rate they are acquired. What this means is that once you run out of champ levels (max-champed) you sell it and start a new one. This is done to gain the champ rewards (XP, CP, HP, 3-star covers) over and over. The only thing this costs you is a negligible amount of ISO.

Farming 3-stars isn't as common because of the increased rarity and time it takes to go through the process, plus max-champed 3-stars are still valuable as combatants to a 4-star player.

Having ALL the characters (except 1-stars) is also beneficial for required nodes in PvE. Having all the threes helps be competitive in PvP, though there are also PvP events where 2-stars and 4-stars are featured, or required.
  • Tyrlaan
    That makes a heck of a lot of sense, thanks!

Ugh, there goes my bank of HP! I have a pretty minimal 2-star roster because I've been picky
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tyrlaan said:
    That makes a heck of a lot of sense, thanks!

Ugh, there goes my bank of HP! I have a pretty minimal 2-star roster because I've been picky
    Yeah, HP will be your big limiting factor for quite a while, until you hit the point where it's ISO instead.
  • Tyrlaan
    I also wish I perused this site a lot sooner or maybe I would've hoarded my LTs and CPs. The damage is done though... I've recruited several 5s and 4s at this point. 

Going to start hoarding from now on though; until I'm done fleshing out the 2s at least. I've got at least half of the 3s champed already, but now I need to make sure I'm using HP to fill gaps instead of push into 4s. 
  • Dormammu
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, I waited until I had all the 3-stars champed before I started investing any serious ISO into my 4-stars. It was nice though, because by then I had several 4-stars max-covered (I lost a few 14th covers, but oh well). I did level several of my 4-stars to 150 while in 3-star land if I thought they could compete in the DDQ enchilada, but that was it.

I am glad I waited. Having all the 3-stars champed really helped me when I started the transition up. I needed those boosted threes as I often wouldn't have any boosted fours due to only a few of them being champed initially.
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017

Is there a writeup somewhere about the strategy you allude to here? Should I be champing ALL 3 stars and ALL 2 stars? Is this to maximize your ability to participate in all events?
       Another testimonial on how champing them all works really well.  I kind of decided in my head that I was going to champ all 2*s, then start champing the top tier 3*s then to champing almost all the rest of the 3*s (still have 5 to go) then move to my 4* game and I think it's the best decision I've made in the whole game.  I finally am at a point where I'm not struggling to come up with HP to roster a 3* or 4* character because of my 2* and 3* champ rewards. (I also am not rostering 5*s yet so it makes it a bit easier as well).  Once you get most or all 3*s champed you can just apply bonus heroes to those characters that are close or need another cover to get you 50 HP switch your bonus heroes to the next one close to an HP reward and keep repeating.  Champ 2* rewards are really good for HP as well since you get 100 HP for reaching level 144 and 125 HP for selling it.  2* farms and 3* farms make it much easier to get a steady stream of HP in, to supplement what you are getting in PVE or PVP.  Even my never used Sentry 3* champ has at least gotten me a legendary token.

As a side note, having all your 3*s champed will help in DDQ Behemeth Burrito as well.  Imagine having a 1 or 2 color cover 4 star with an underleveled Hood and Bullseye trying to take on a fully covered 4,3 and 2*, not easy at all.  However, if Hood is champed, the match won't be quick, but the other team won't get many powers off and you can widdle their health away.  Just one more Taco Token to help you possibly get a 250 HP or 1000 HP pull or another somewhat other useful item.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    jtsings said:

Another testimonial on how champing them all works really well.  I kind of decided in my head that I was going to champ all 2*s, then start champing the top tier 3*s then to champing almost all the rest of the 3*s (still have 5 to go) then move to my 4* game and I think it's the best decision I've made in the whole game.  I finally am at a point where I'm not struggling to come up with HP to roster a 3* or 4* character because of my 2* and 3* champ rewards. (I also am not rostering 5*s yet so it makes it a bit easier as well).  Once you get most or all 3*s champed you can just apply bonus heroes to those characters that are close or need another cover to get you 50 HP switch your bonus heroes to the next one close to an HP reward and keep repeating.  Champ 2* rewards are really good for HP as well since you get 100 HP for reaching level 144 and 125 HP for selling it.  2* farms and 3* farms make it much easier to get a steady stream of HP in, to supplement what you are getting in PVE or PVP.  Even my never used Sentry 3* champ has at least gotten me a legendary token.

As a side note, having all your 3*s champed will help in DDQ Behemeth Burrito as well.  Imagine having a 1 or 2 color cover 4 star with an underleveled Hood and Bullseye trying to take on a fully covered 4,3 and 2*, not easy at all.  However, if Hood is champed, the match won't be quick, but the other team won't get many powers off and you can widdle their health away.  Just one more Taco Token to help you possibly get a 250 HP or 1000 HP pull or another somewhat other useful item.

100% this. Getting all 2* and 3* rostered, and then champed opened up such a steady stream of HP that I keep it around 10k, then spend the remainder on the 100HP daily deals, which is something I never dreamed of doing when constantly scraping together enough HP in time for the next character release

As a result, I've been able to roster all 4*, and all 5* except latest 2

• byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    The way the game works (and it's not obvious at all), players need to proceed from star level to star level.  Basically everybody needs to get every 2* championed, then start the 3* transition, then most of the 3*, then the 4*, etc.

One very important part is keeping Juggernaut so you can complete Daily Tacos.

Be VERY careful about opening too many tokens.  Because you'll get too many covers you can't roster, and then you'll have to sell them.  I'd advise training yourself to not overextend your resources.

DO NOT open tokens or spend CP that might give you a 5*.  5* will really screw up your match-making in PvP.

As for PvP, you're not going to be able to place anywhere near high, so don't worry about it.  Progression rewards are the only ones you'll have access to.  Don't waste hero points for shields.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's not about how any 3*s you have before you invest iso into 4*. It's all about how many covers those 4* have. Under covered 4* is not as powerful as championed 3*. Therefore any iso spent on the early levels doesn't have any impact on the strength of your roster. It takes 9-10 covers before a 4* is more powerful than a completed 166 3*. However, with the introduction of champion levels, it means 3* champions can goto 266 and delay the impact of 4*. I don't even bother to level my 4* until they are fully covered and ready to champion. Maybe just to level 120 since the cost is fairly low. 
  • Heaka75
    Heaka75 Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    I have read all the above posts. I played a couple of years ago.  Lost my account and started a new one about 2 months ago. I didn't read any of the forum stuff until today. I have 75 roster slots. 5-1 cover 5*s,  3 -1*s, 4 - champ 3 *s, 6- champ 2*s, the rest is a mix of 2,3, and 4 *s in various stages of completion.  How do I fix my botched progression. Do I need to get rid of some higher *s to get all the 2 and 3 * on my roster to champ them? I'm just kind of lost in a mess now.
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2018
      How do I fix my botched progression. Do I need to get rid of some higher *s to get all the 2 and 3 * on my roster to champ them? I'm just kind of lost in a mess now.
       I really wouldn't call your progress botched but your best attribute is that you have a good number of slots.  I've been around on the forums and I've seen two pretty popular theories of how to progress when you're beginning and I'll try to present both paths.

1)  Admittedly this was not my path but I'll try my best to explain it.  Only keep 1* for DDQ either a fully leveled Iron Man 35 or Juggernaut are plenty for DDQ nodes.  Only keep the 2*s champed that you think are useful such as: Magneto, Hawkeye, Storm, Thor, Wolverine, Ares.  During PVE nodes, SCL 1-5, you'll get a 2* to use as required for the 2* node and just trash the cover once you're done with that PVE.  Only keep and champ 3*s that are useful and usable such as: IM40, Dr. Strange, Iron Fist, Scarlet Witch, Luke Cage, Magneto.  You can accomplish this quicker by using bonus heroes to concentrate on just those 3*s.  During PVE mode you'll eventually get the 3* required for story mode and you may still be able to hit full progression throughout the event.  4*s: keep as many as you can but if you need to get rid of some try to only get rid of the bottom tier 4*s.  5*s: keep them all because they are the hardest characters to receive but do not level them up till much further down the road.  If you level a 5* up they'll severely mess up your PVP game, if you play that mode.

2)  Same as above just keep IM35 or Juggernaut in 1*s.  Keep every single 2* (except for Bagman) and champ, max champ and then sell them and rechamp them on a regular basis.  Why?  They are your most constant resource of HP, Command Points (besides DDQ) and 3* covers in the game (there is a slight loss in ISO by doing this but it's honestly negligible comapared to what you get in return).  Roster and champ all 3*s as well (use bonus heroes to expedite this).  Why?  same reason as above but also a few more reasons.  Deadpools Daily Quest(DDQ) becomes much more playable the more 3*s you roster which give more tokens and ISO each day.  PVP becomes much more playable when you have champed 3* as the featured character.  PVE becomes a bit easier when you have a champed 3* character boosted because some boosted 3*s can be very effective in faster clears in PVE, even if they are not very good characters unboosted. 4*s: start with only keeping the top tier 4*s such as Captain Marvel, Medusa, Peggy Carter and then fill in the rest of the 4*s as you open more roster slots.  Why?  4*s are not all that helpful until they are at higher levels and you'll spend a long time getting enough covers to get them useful (so that's why you prioritize 3*s first).  You'll eventually want all 4*s rostered because you'll be in good shape to get 2 CP everyday in DDQ, which could possibly help you improve your 4* characters.  5*s make your last priority, it will take a long time for them to be helpful to your game play, so only start keeping them rostered when you've completed rostering your 2s,3s, and 4s (or at least close).

Finally, take a look at character rankings throughout the forums.  There are tons of people that have used the characters that they like and this can help you choose which characters you should prioritize first.  Here's a good post to get you started https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/67654/all-the-different-character-rankings .  I would choose whatever method works for you, or even combine if you'd like, and you should have hopefully a little better direction toward the game.
  • redviper85
    redviper85 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    @Heaka75

Your roster doesn't seem botched, just maybe a little jumbled. Listen to Dormammu and other advice given above. I personally think jtstings first method of roster development is not good but will work in a pinch if you have no HP and don't wanna drop real money on roster slots (in the roster slot drought days I sold moonstone about 15 times to make room for a new 4* etc...). The biggest problem with loaners is that they are hot trash and get wrecked quick. 

The only real way to botch a roster is to evenly distribute ISO. I don't know if it was mentioned but there is overlap between tiers so in essence a fully covered 144 2* and a partially covered 144 3* will be very different and the 3* is drastically worse. So FULLY champ a character before moving to the next. I've seen rosters that have all their 3*s at lvl 100 and getting wrecked. Champ one character at a time then move to the next. This is especially true the higher you go. Wasting 100K to put some extra lvls on a 5* is not really going to help as much as putting that toward champing strange or thanos. 

And don't open tokens unless you have the resources to do something with it. If you don't have all the characters make sure you have 1000 HP in the bank to roster them. If you have a bunch of 13 covered characters make sure you have the ISO to champ them and use the cover.
  • DieMyDarling
    DieMyDarling Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Hmm. This advice is definitely interesting and perhaps I have been playing it wrong but some of the posted results here don't match with my experience.

I have been playing for three years. I only have three 2* characters and no 1* characters (I keep a spare slot to rotate in characters I need for events). I have maybe 75% of the three stars championed and the others I don't have at all. I have a bunch of 4*s championed and a bunch of 5* characters but all between 2 and 6 covers apiece. From the advice presented here I have been playing wrong for over 1000 consecutive logins, which is distressing.

Some of the testimonials seem odd though. Someone said you can't place well in events doing it this way, but When I actually care about an event enough to try to place well I can get top 5 (PVP) or top 25 (PVE). I have a busy work/family life so I can't commit like this often though. I personally hate certain characters (like Ant-Man and Iron Man) so don't collect them just because I dislike those characters, which according to the advice here is very sub-optimal.

So I guess what I'm asking here is now that I've spent three years getting here using plan A should I spin around and try to get all the characters after all? Is it still worth it or have I just taken the long way around?

Thanks.