Why shouldn't a person spend 20 cp for 3 star covers?

Wumpushunter
Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
A person building up to max champ 3s could spend 20/25 on a chance for a new shiny 4 cover but they have a decent chance of pulling a (for them)   useless 5 star.  Also with many many 4 stars to roster and at the mercy of the RNG a person  could pull 1 cover of a dozen or more characters leading to slot issues. So why does conventional wisdom say use CP just for stores? 

Comments

• Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    I think the conventional wisdom you refer to applies to more developed rosters than what it sounds like you have.
    For 20 CP you have the choice between a specific 3*, or a random 4* with a chance for a random 5*. So, on the surface the classic token has more value in the grand scheme than the 3*.  
    That doesn't mean it is wrong to spend CP on your 3*s.  It's your roster, and your CP. Build and spend how you want.  If you aren't into building you 4*s right now (and based on your other posts, I know you don't want 5*s), or you don't have roster room on the chance you pull someone new, then don't buy classics. If you really want to champ that 3* without waiting for RNG to give you want you need, or RNG gave you a 6th green when you only have 1 blue, then spend CP on your 3*s.
    I bought a couple covers for my 3* Strange when he was new because I wanted to champ him right away.

TL;DR

Because 4>3, but "I want it" beats all.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, there are plenty of exceptions (I've done it myself, for both 3* and 4* characters), but as a "when in doubt" general rule, saving the CP for Tokens will get you better results in the long run more often than not.
  • AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    A person building up to max champ 3s could spend 20/25 on a chance for a new shiny 4 cover but they have a decent chance of pulling a (for them)   useless 5 star.  Also with many many 4 stars to roster and at the mercy of the RNG a person  could pull 1 cover of a dozen or more characters leading to slot issues. So why does conventional wisdom say use CP just for stores? 
    there's two conventional wisdoms

conventional wisdom for players that have loads of open roster slots (buy in store)
    conventional wisdom for players that have very few open roster slots (roster out 2*s, take only the best 3*s, a best 4*, maaaybe a best 5* because of gold-hearting. and you use CP to boost those "best" heroes.)

obviously if you can't use most of the covers you pull because you don't have roster slots for them, you just have to sell for iso
  • Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Dormammu said:
    I just spent 40 CP for two 3-star Gambit covers because I was impatient. I've enjoyed playing him champed/boosted ever since - and I'm well into 4-star territory! I don't give a tinykitty, it's just CP. I'll make plenty more.

I did that for a few 3* in my mid 3* progression. Didn't regret it then, and my 4* progression now isn't that hampered so I guess it didn't hurt me any and I really didn't have the roster slots then to allow for more unless 1 4* covers (Behemoth Burrito wasn't a thing yet).

• Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker

Many times I have spent CP on covers (for both 3 and 4*).  I'm actually at a point right now where I have second GSBW at 5/6/2.  If I don't get that 3rd purple cover in (now) 12 days, I'll buy it with CP so I can champ her, not let the extra red go to waste, and sell my first (max-champed) GSBW.

It really all just depends on your goals and intentions.  I've tried the Hoard-CP route, it's not for me.  I spend CP pretty much as soon as I get 20.  I know the whole point of hoarding to aim for the latest 5*, better odds, etc. etc.  I don't care.  I just enjoy opening tokens, and figure whatever I get builds my base of champs and that has so far always helped me getting into the next tier.

At one point, I was aiming for all 4* champed.  Got as close as 93% when I had 51/55.  Over the months I was gaining on their release rate, but eventually got burned-out on MPQ before I succeeded.  During that period though, I never had a problem spending 120CP to buy a 13th cover if I had one in queue (and once spent 240 to finish a character), because my goal was to champ all 4*.

So do whatever makes you happy.  It's just a game.  HAVE FUN!

• SkadenFrudee
    SkadenFrudee Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    I blew 80cp on Strang3 the moment I got that first yellow cover. My 5/4/3 3* Elektra is getting 20cp if need be to save the 2 purples I have on the vine. And I have 5 4* Champs, plus every 3* champed except for her and Gambit.

Don't listen to conventional advice if spending the cp makes you happier. 
  • Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    I blew 80cp on Strang3 the moment I got that first yellow cover.

Ha! I did that too! Considering the multiple progression 20CP he's earned me back since then I would have said it was a worthy investment.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dr. Strange is worth 200 CP (10 x 20) if you have him at 1/1/1. He is no question the PvE MVP of my roster. The recent horde of defeated Mindless Ones and Symbiotes can testify to that.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    In most cases, I think it's better to spend CP to get 4's and 5's.  Buying the specific cover you want means you pay a hefty premium.  

I haven't done it myself, but I don't have any problem with a 3 or 4 star roster spending CP for a top tier character that they'll use frequently, although I'd suggest using bonus heroes and being a little more patient.

For a 3* roster, 4's and 5's are what you should be working towards.  You'll need them all for essential nodes.  One of the best sources of HP is the 100 HP for t50 in subs, and you'll need all of the essentials to get that.  Gotta catch em all!
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ultimately,  saving Cp for LT draws is great for the long game, but the long game can be a drag, an if spending Cp on 3*s keeps it fun and gives you new characters to play with, so that you'll earn more prizes and stick around for the long game, go for it.
    I actually spend probably 200k+ iso on standard tokens back in the day, despite all advice to the contrary, and that kick started my 3* game, allowed me to earn more tokens and covers, and kept me interested in the game.

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    Target CP use on 3* when you building your 3* roster can make sense but only for a very limited number of 3*.  IM40 for example can greatly increase your ability to punch higher than normal in PvE and is worth completing ASAP.  Doctor Strange and Iron Fist are two other 3* that are in the same boat imo.  All three of those are 3* are game changers in 3* roster for PvE purposes.  
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    Felonius said:

Many times I have spent CP on covers (for both 3 and 4*).  I'm actually at a point right now where I have second GSBW at 5/6/2.  If I don't get that 3rd purple cover in (now) 12 days, I'll buy it with CP so I can champ her, not let the extra red go to waste, and sell my first (max-champed) GSBW.

I'm there with my 3-star Cap right now.  My first one is my first Maxed 3-star, and my second one is a 5/4/3, with *four* yellow covers in the queue.  He's been my only 3-star bonus hero since I started farming him.  All of the bonus covers I've received for him have been yellow.  And just in case you're wondering, the next cover that my 2-star Cap will give me?  Yep...it's the yellow one.  If the covers are going to expire before I get another non-yellow cover, you better believe I'm spending the 20 CP for it.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    When I was building my 3*s, I was stockpiling all my CP, because I'd been told not to open LTs until I was ready for 4*s and I kept to that. I did spend CP on 3* covers a few times during that period.

But, and it's a big but, neither bonus heroes nor the Behemoth Burrito existed at the time. Not only can you collect 3* covers faster than ever before, you are encouraged to collect 4*s as early as you can.

tl;dr I did it then, I wouldn't do it now.

In the end, though, it's your CP and not only can you do what you want with it, but no-one can tell you it's wrong. It's a game. 
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Nowadays, with BH being more frequently for 3*, it is not worth using CP for a 3* if you're not in a big hurry to champ him. But exceptions can be made if the 3* is very good (Strange, Gambit) or you like it very much. You do play for your pleasure, so do what you please the most :)

I have a saying: you play now, not after 1 year. So if you want a hero, regardless of his rarity, go for him. 
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Contemplating this for my duplicate doom. I stopped the main at 257 when I started my dupe in anticipation for unusable dupe covers. However, the main has hit 266 and my dupe has been stuck on 1/5/5 for god knows how long with a purple cover in queue now. Somehow I managed to 10 purple/blue covers without a single black. Would need 40cp to make sure the purple cover doesn’t go to waste. Not sure if it’s worth it though...
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just my luck, another doom blue dropped. It took close to a year to complete/recycle 3* with 2* feeders. Doom would take much longer