No Double Iso-8 in Lightning Rounds *Updated (10/17/17)

1235»

Comments

• huktonfonix
    huktonfonix Posts: 214 Tile Toppler
    @Brigby , @LakeStone

Despite what was promised in the original post, skip tax is NOT halved for LRs.  In fact, the -5 skip tax was reverted shortly before they began.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Update 10/17 10:01am - Due to the way that the skip opponent cost is set up, we unfortunately will be unable to halve the skip amount during this run of Double Iso-8 Lightning Rounds. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    Also, no double victory bonus.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Despite what was promised in the original post, skip tax is NOT halved for LRs.  In fact, the -5 skip tax was reverted shortly before they began.
    We apologize for the inconvenience. The team discovered a technical limitation with how it is set up in the game, which is unfortunately preventing them from implementing this temporary halving of the skip opponent cost.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    We apologize for the inconvenience. The team discovered a technical limitation with how it is set up in the game, which is unfortunately preventing them from implementing this temporary halving of the skip opponent cost.
    According to the early message (bold added by me):
    Speaking with the team today, we will be running double iso-8 rewards next week with the price to skip events halved in Lightning Rounds. This will be in lieu of a free gift next week.

The skip price reduction was in lieu of a free gift, so since skip prices isn't being halved will there be some form of free gift?
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    FOUR YEARS...

There's an old saying,  how does it go? 

Over promise, under deliver
    Wait that's not how it goes
    Oh well close enough,  no one will notice
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can't make this stuff up. Gold, Jerry! I tell you it's gold!
  • Merrick
    Merrick Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    The win bonus/skip cost is a global variable. So rather than give us what you promised and a small bonus of +60/-5 for a couple of days of regular pvp, you decided it was better to make yourself a liar. 

As they say, better to under promise and over deliver than the other way around. Obviously as a company you still don't understand that. 
  • Bowgentle
    Merrick said:
    The win bonus/skip cost is a global variable. So rather than give us what you promised and a small bonus of +60/-5 for a couple of days of regular pvp, you decided it was better to make yourself a liar. 

As they say, better to under promise and over deliver than the other way around. Obviously as a company you still don't understand that. 
    And always, always come out with stuff at the last minute, or even later.

As if they only noticed today that it was a global setting.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    Next year there won't be Lightning Rounds during Anniversary so the devs don't have to deal with this again.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017

Either everything you guys said was a lie this whole time or you just have the most forgiving supervisor in existence. I would have fired you all for sheer incompetence. And everything you do makes me glad I quit spending a year ago.

I was just getting to the point where I thought I might spend a little again............NOPE!

• rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    If you've ever wondered why the dev team seems hesitant to publish information early, it is because of exactly this. If they publish something early and something changes, they get absolutely crucified with unreasonable vitriol. Even if you don't like the situation, there is just no need to be nasty about it. 
  • Bowgentle
    rixmith said:
    If you've ever wondered why the dev team seems hesitant to publish information early, it is because of exactly this. If they publish something early and something changes, they get absolutely crucified with unreasonable vitriol. Even if you don't like the situation, there is just no need to be nasty about it. 
    Nothing changed.
    They didn't discover that skip tax/victory bonus was a global setting after announcing double ISO in LRs.
    If not earlier, they noticed this when they turned it on at the start of anniversary.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    rixmith said:
    These fellas run a business that we pay money for, they ain't some persecuted minority. Believe me, I've dealt with far irate customers IRL at regular retailer than a few heavily nodded and/or self censored comments made here. 

• Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    rixmith said:
    Unreasonable is getting upset for something that doesn't exist, or wasn't promised, i.e. 4* daily ddq.

I think it is quite reasonable to be upset that they not only messed up a highly anticipated and looked forward to event, needed two tries to come up with a reasonable solution a week later, and then messed that up as well.  

I try to defend the devs when i can, when it can be argued that something out of their control or purview went wrong.  But i think it is 100% fair to criticize them when they over promise and under deliver
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    rixmith said:
    You are right that announcing information too early can cause headaches for demi because players do form expectations and do lash out irrationally sometimes.

That sucks, players should generally try to be polite with criticism.

But some criticsm IS warranted here.  Double iso is one of the consistently best things about anniversary.  It is also a feature that has been implemented in the past and should be well understood by the dev team.  There is basically no obvious reason that demi should not have known these facts befire making any announcements, so i don't feel to bad about holding demi to those anmouncements.

Plus there is a pretty long history of poor customer support around anniversary time.  Anniversary 1 in 2014 was just about the only one that went without a hitch.  

And of course the dev team took all of 3 hours to fix a mistake that cost them 5* covers (i.e. revenue).  Would it really have killed demi to just double the victory bonus and halve the skip tax for all pvp events for 48 hours?

Edited because i screwed up the length of the lightning rounds.

• hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:
    rixmith said:
    You are right that announcing information too early can cause headaches for demi because players do form expectations and do lash out irrationally sometimes.

That sucks, players should generally try to be polite with criticism.

But some criticsm IS warranted here.  Double iso is one of the consistently best things about anniversary.  It is also a feature that has been implemented in the past and should be well understood by the dev team.  There is basically no obvious reason that demi should not have known these facts befire making any announcements, so i don't feel to bad about holding demi to those anmouncements.

Plus there is a pretty long history of poor customer support around anniversary time.  Anniversary 1 in 2014 was just about the only one that went without a hitch.  

And of course the dev team took all of 3 hours to fix a mistake that cost them 5* covers (i.e. revenue).  Would it really have killed demi to just double the victory bonus and halve the skip tax for all pvp events for 24 hours?

48 hours across 2 non-Lightning Round events, and knowing D3 and their coding, it probably would have meant doing it for any PvP running during the time from start to finish, since I've never seen them change the ISO/rewards for PvP matches mid event (so the rest of Gambit's PvP and all of Black Vortex).

This isn't to excuse for it, but to have an honest look at the decision they made. Either say they couldn't do it, or do it for basically all PvP that isn't a part of the next season until Friday.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would have been nice if the more favorable [Victory Bonus/Skip Tax] was implemented again like it was last week, and I get the disappointment at not having that extra bit of ISO.

But practically speaking... we did get Double ISO, just that the two components of Double ISO were each in a separate week. That sucks for the people who had a more favorable scheduling for one week over the other, of course.
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Ha! Never change, Demiurge. Here's to four more years!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    rixmith said:
    I'm starting to wonder if D3 (the publisher) makes some of these commitments without vetting them with Demiurge (the devs).  I work in IT and see that kind of thing a lot where someone non-technical (or less technical) promises stuff without vetting it that's technically impossible (or non-feasible).