***** Gambit (Classic) *****

Comments

• zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    fahq1977 said:
    spectator said:
    I dunno, his purple looks much scarier than his red, I can’t wait to plug black holes with his playing cards
    Purple is good, but red is the real damage maker. Paired with 4thor or blackbolt or surfer or lockjaw or mordo, he just does devastating self propelled damage. The red is sooo much cheaper and easier to fire. Purple is also CD tiles and they get matched away. Red is his most reliable nuke
    For the 5* version at least. For the 3*, purple instead.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes indeed.  14k damage for 7 ap is much better than 11 ap for 24k dependent upon 4 cds (even counting the utility of removing tiles).  Yes, purple looks like a better damage/ap, but only if you always get all 4 cds to proc.  And even then you still uave to wait 2 turns.  Give me instant damage please.

Use purple for utility and red for damage on the 5*.  3* red does **** damage by comparison, so 5/3/5 makes a lot more sense.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    D4Ni13 said:
    Anon said:
    Just realized some great synergy between him and Rogue. If someone on the opposite team has Red or Purple as their strongest color, you can use Rogues Green on them and Gambits Black Passive ensures they're getting nuked every other turn.
    Rogue won't collect double or triple AP if that AP is generated from other sources than tile matching. 
    I know that. I'm saying you're generating ap passively along with tile matching. Speeds up the nuke.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Anon said:
    D4Ni13 said:
    Anon said:
    Just realized some great synergy between him and Rogue. If someone on the opposite team has Red or Purple as their strongest color, you can use Rogues Green on them and Gambits Black Passive ensures they're getting nuked every other turn.
    Rogue won't collect double or triple AP if that AP is generated from other sources than tile matching. 
    I know that. I'm saying you're generating ap passively along with tile matching. Speeds up the nuke.
    Indeed.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    fahq1977 said:
    spectator said:
    I dunno, his purple looks much scarier than his red, I can’t wait to plug black holes with his playing cards
    Purple is good, but red is the real damage maker. Paired with 4thor or blackbolt or surfer or lockjaw or mordo, he just does devastating self propelled damage. The red is sooo much cheaper and easier to fire. Purple is also CD tiles and they get matched away. Red is his most reliable nuke
    Yes so it’s actually dependant On having those specific partners and cost ap to build the relevant power. It’s not as fast as you think unless you have blackbolt. It also a significant hit to purple since it produces one less countdown and they take longer to resolve. If you bring Hawkeye or goblin you can also protect those purple countdown tiles.

On the other hand, red does generate ap....
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Does anyone know if 5* Thanos has his purple CD tile out--can Gambit still fire his purple? I'm assuming his red is nerfed, but purple could potentially land on Thanos purple CD tile and overwrite it?
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Does anyone know if 5* Thanos has his purple CD tile out--can Gambit still fire his purple? I'm assuming his red is nerfed, but purple could potentially land on Thanos purple CD tile and overwrite it?
    Thanos cannot have his purple CD out while Gambit is in play. Or you meant the enemy Thanos has the purple tile ? If so, nor red or purple would work, because of the condition Thanos has. Or at least that should be the case. I cannot test it because I don't have the 5* yet, but the 3* version doesn't work while enemy Thanos have his purple activated, and for what it is worth, if the 5* version can overwrite Thanos purple, he is too damn strong...

But interesting question. We could have tested it in Simulator, but now it's over..

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    As I understand it, the 5* Infinite Power CD will prevent an enemy Gambit from firing either of his active powers, as neither of them do anything if they are unable to convert or destroy tiles.
  • fork1977
    fork1977 Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    As I understand it, the 5* Infinite Power CD will prevent an enemy Gambit from firing either of his active powers, as neither of them do anything if they are unable to convert or destroy tiles.
    I experienced this.  No damage done.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    it does prevent enemy 3* Gambit from playing either power.  Soon into the 3* Gambit pvp, I tested this with 5* Thanos on my team. My loaner Gambit had gotten downed, but he had earned me lots of purple for Thanos to use.
    Enemy team had 30 purple and over 24 red by the time my two CD's had each resolved.

EDIT: I apologize for not testing with 5* Gambit, with his potential ability to overwrite CD's. Agreed, I doubt either power will be able to be played for the duration of Thanos' CD.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    edited October 2017
    Absolutely it does prevent enemy Gambit from playing either power.  Soon into the 3* Gambit pvp, I tested this with 5* Thanos on my team. My loaner Gambit had gotten downed, but he had earned me lots of purple for Thanos to use.
    Enemy team had 30 purple and over 24 red by the time my two CD's had each resolved.

I am talking about 5* Gambit. 3* Gambit cannot overwrite CD tiles so I would not expect his powers to work against Thanos purple.

Didn't think I needed to point out discussing 5* Gambit in 5* Gambit's forum discussion...
  • Jaedenkaal
    edited October 2017
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Absolutely it does prevent enemy Gambit from playing either power.  Soon into the 3* Gambit pvp, I tested this with 5* Thanos on my team. My loaner Gambit had gotten downed, but he had earned me lots of purple for Thanos to use.

I am talking about 5* Gambit. 3* Gambit cannot overwrite CD tiles so I would not expect his powers to work against Thanos purple.

Didn't think I needed to point out discussing 5* Gambit in 5* Gambit's forum discussion...
    If 5* Thanos prevents CDs, including his own, from being replaced or removed by any other powers (Mind over Matter, Payback Mission, etc...) then I see no reason why 5* Ragin' Cajun would be any different.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    I confirmed with someone using a 5* Gambit that indeed his powers cannot fire when opposing 5* Thanos has his purple CD tile out. He just collects more and more red and purple, waiting for that thing to resolve. Thanks everyone.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    With today's data push, 5* Gambit is now in Latest Legends - and Doc Ock is out to Classics.

Crack open those hoards and let's hear what you get!
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    With today's data push, 5* Gambit is now in Latest Legends - and Doc Ock is out to Classics.

Crack open those hoards and let's hear what you get!
    2 more Gambit purple for a 3/0/0. Come on man, I know you’re agile, but stop power dodging me. At least drop a black cover or 2. Even spidey was more cooperative (4/2/2), or was he blocking for you? Traitor! Spidey’s a traitor!
    Only wasted cover will be Yondu’s 7th blue, while Rogue cruises by him at 4/3/5 (and 5th green to go from Sim!). At this rate, I’ll get 14th cover for my Spider Gwen and leave Yondu all alone before I get him finished.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think I have to agree with whoever BlackBoltRocks managed to queue and say 3/5/5 is probably best. 5 black is a must for the ap generation. The choice comes down to 5/3, 3/5 or 4/4 for the other two colours. You could up purple, but at 4 it is only a shorter countdown, the damage doesn’t increases. Only at 5 do you get an extra countdown (indirectly increasing damage). However, dropping red down decrease the damage dealt a fair bit. You end up casting red a lot, especially if red tiles are charged (use ss to target them with his blue). Therefore I believe it is better to max red damage over the countdowns. 
  • newton999
    newton999 Posts: 34 Just Dropped In

I opened 172 LT and used 2.600 CP yesterday.

I have a 5/3/4 Gambit and a purple cover waiting for a swap.

Without Black Bolt, i think purple is more interesting. But I'm new in 5* land so...

At lvl 525, red is 9.458 per charged tile and purple (at 5 cover) is 9.434 per CD

• Jaedenkaal
    Pongie said:
    I think I have to agree with whoever BlackBoltRocks managed to queue and say 3/5/5 is probably best. 5 black is a must for the ap generation. The choice comes down to 5/3, 3/5 or 4/4 for the other two colours. You could up purple, but at 4 it is only a shorter countdown, the damage doesn’t increases. Only at 5 do you get an extra countdown (indirectly increasing damage). However, dropping red down decrease the damage dealt a fair bit. You end up casting red a lot, especially if red tiles are charged (use ss to target them with his blue). Therefore I believe it is better to max red damage over the countdowns. 
    Or, bring Black Bolt so he can be 5/5/5? :smiley:

To soon?

... I'll leave now.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    If only I have black bolt covered. He is 1/0/0
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now that he's been out for a month, can we get his full stats?