The mysteries of PVP

Options
can someone explain how shielding works as it puzzles me that when you are shielded you get attacked a lot less often than when you are unshielded 

example my shield expired yesterday and I got attacked 6 times; I then reshielded and I’ve been attacked once in the last 8 hours 

surely the point of shielding is to protect you when you are attacked not to stop you from being attacked at all 

Comments

• Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You can queue only people who are not shielded. After you shield you can get attacked a few times by people who happened to queue your team before you put up a shield, but overall you get attacked less because you're not visible to others.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    surely the point of shielding is to protect you when you are attacked not to stop you from being attacked at all
    It does both, which is half the reason people collude via Line: if everyone above you is shielded then you can only find matches with people with lower point totals, so it is beneficial to know when those other players unshield so you can target them.

If they did change this, it couldn't be as simple as making shielded players targettable.  Since they can't lose points, the most effective strategy would be to find the highest level shielded player you could beat and repeatedly attack them.  They'd probably need to either introduce a limit to the number of times you could attack a shielded player, or give diminishing returns for attacking a single player multiple times.
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ok thanks, I understand it now; 

now that you explain it it seems obvious