What to do against perma-airborne Vulture?

JarvisJackrabbit
JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
edited October 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion
Vulture has quickly become the opponent I find most aggravating in PVP.

After going airborne, he's often unable to be damaged the rest of the match, downing all three characters on my team and remaining untouchable.

A mega whales team up does nothing. Apparently the whales don't fall from a high enough altitude.

What's to be done to counteract such shenanigans?

***edit***
My apologies, please move from general to character discussion.

Comments

• Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Another thread about the "invincible" vulture...

He lands every two turns. It's not like her circles your team the entire match.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Deny black and prioritize downing him first. I know it's not that simple in many cases but this is the best approach. 

You might want to counter with Vulture of your own or go invisible on him (but that is a rare skill). 
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Another thread about the "invincible" vulture...

He lands every two turns. It's not like her circles your team the entire match.
    Except that's exactly what happens when the endpoint of an "entire match" occurs because he went airborne and was not able to be damaged after that.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I could be wrong about this, but don't powers that hit "random" enemies still tag him? Stuff like Blades Bloodlust or Gwen's green? If everyone else is down, its not exactly random, and they will have no one to hit but ole flyboy
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    There's not a lot of specific strategy against regular characters. It's not like Apocalypse, where he wouldn't take damage at all if you didn't know what you're doing. But he's like a lot of good characters, if you let them get rolling then its hard to stop. Same goes for Carol + Wasp, if you let them get enough blue and yellow, you're in trouble.

As for specific strategy: Stun him when he lands, remove his cd tile while in flight so he can't do damage, steal blue ap so he can't attack on take off, steal black ap so he can't fly away.
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    Anybody familiar with the Marvel character, Gravity? Maybe he could bring airborne enemies down to earth or send them skyward for cheap.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vulture is currently my favorite character to play in the game (wish it was a comic character I actually care about).

I JUST champed him a few days ago and am loving him.

With all my anniversary-boosted 4* I found myself switching from CarolBladusa to Blade/Vulture/Cloak and Dagger in PVE because those mindless countdowns were going off so fast!

Cloak and Dagger fuel Vulture
    Vulture fuels Blades green for AOE damage and his own blue for countdown/special tile clearing.

Two true healers and one usually airborne means minimal healthpack use.

Yes I know this is another character complaint thread but I love him. 

On defense hes he’s not without weaknesses. He doesn’t give the amounts of AP IM40 does, nor does he have the super high health (for his tier) so the opponent isnt usually getting off multiple powers if they cascade into black (which you should be denying!). If the opponent is getting enough black AP to stay airborne an ENTIRE match you need to look at what you’re doing and not blame the character. As a human controlled Vulture with an amazing battery focusing on black I can’t even pull that off often at all.  My guy lands constantly without the AP to go airborne.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's also the strategy of just skipping teams with Vulture on them.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    The dude lands every two turns. Come on people. Stun him, nuke him, steal his black, deny him black... there are many, many ways to defeat this clown.

Does the AI wait a turn before it goes airborne again? Because a player sure doesn't have to.

When I used him together with C&D, I had around 14 black AP saved up when the rest of the team got killed. My Vulture didn't lose another hitpoint while slowly picking apart the rest of the enemy team.

• JarvisJackrabbit
    I know addition of single digits should not invoke many surprises, but on two occasions during this particular match, I looked at enemy AP and the description of Vulture's black, and it seemed as though he would have to land and not be able to fire his green. Both times, he immediately fired green and went airborne again. 

Not only was the match itself frustrating, I ceased to be able to perform basic cognitive tasks.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    His black costs 6 and generates 4. Ergo, if you deny black he will be forced to land sooner or later. Obviously you can't do anything about cascades but this should be a valid strategy 90% of the time.

Also, I believe AP drains (Dormammu's Aid, Aggressive Recon, etc) will work against him since they don't target a specific character.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    Or wait till you have a usable rogue and laugh at how pitiful he is when never airborn.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    *5 Thor's red skill, Berserker Strength Blast deals massive damage to all enemies, including airborne.

Sucks that it costs 14 AP but fortunately red is his strongest color so I bring 4* Cyke for blue and yellow to gather red for Thor. Don't bring 5/3* Gambit though because he won't let Thor use his red due to his black ability.
  • moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    *5 Thor's red skill, Berserker Strength Blast deals massive damage to all enemies, including airborne.

Sucks that it costs 14 AP but fortunately red is his strongest color so I bring 4* Cyke for blue and yellow to gather red for Thor. Don't bring 5/3* Gambit though because he won't let Thor use his red due to his black ability.
    I wish I had a 5* thor. Didn't know one of those existed.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    Skip button is half price right now.

• byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    I love crushing Vultures.  It's so easy.  Just hit him.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    If I could fly, I would pee on people that tried to attack me. Obviously, that's not Vultures thing, but I would do it.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    AP drain/steal should work pretty well. Black is incidentally his strongest color, so Secret Mission and the Fisk Defense will go straight for it. Even Nightstalker should work in a pinch, although you might have to fire that while he's landed. The repeater tile will steal AP from him when he's airborne.

There's also Super Secret Tech, Supernatural Sense, Precision Shot, and Ballet of Death, and that's just at the 4* tier.

As others have noted, not saving him until last is also a good idea. If he has a teammate who also has a Black active power, consider leaving them alive so that they might spend the Black AP instead.