**** Cyclops (Classic) ****

Comments

• Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    simonsez wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    5/5/3 is ok
    That's pretty far from ok. 5 in blue is mandatory. Getting 1 extra AP for going from 3 to 5 in yellow can't compensate for the extra AP and damage you get for going from 3 to 5 in blue.
    5/5/3 works nicely when you have a better blue user (like Iceman - and he is removing red from the board anyway)
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Piro_plock wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    5/5/3 is ok
    That's pretty far from ok. 5 in blue is mandatory. Getting 1 extra AP for going from 3 to 5 in yellow can't compensate for the extra AP and damage you get for going from 3 to 5 in blue.
    5/5/3 works nicely when you have a better blue user (like Iceman - and he is removing red from the board anyway)

In PvP they are horrible partners. You would never want to accidentally use the wrong characters blue, Iceman is removing red through purples, making Cyclops blue useless and his red tough to activate.
  • Piro_plock
    notamutant wrote:
    Piro_plock wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    5/5/3 is ok

In PvP they are horrible partners. You would never want to accidentally use the wrong characters blue, Iceman is removing red through purples, making Cyclops blue useless and his red tough to activate.
    It would be pretty hard to use Cyke blue on accident - it's targeted, after all. You use Iceman's blue - in most situations it is vastly superior, so you build Cyclops 5/5/3. It works pretty good in PVP, even on defense (AI will use Uncanny Snowman more often, because it's cheaper). When Iceman is boosted/higher level, Cyclops' yellow makes activating Whiteout very easy.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    5/5/3 is ok

Well If you would have copied the whole line, that is what I was saying icon_razz.gif , for me, best builds are 5/3/5 and 3/5/5.

BUT there are cases where you might prefer to use another character's blue (Iceman or Peggy have much stronger blues), so 5/5/3 is usable in these scenarios, this is why I said this build is ok.

He should never EVER have powers at 4.

PS: Please if you referenciate something, copy the whole thing! Don't be like a sensacionalist newspaper icon_razz.gif
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    PS: Please if you referenciate something, copy the whole thing! Don't be like a sensacionalist newspaper icon_razz.gif
    Take all my upvotes
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Personally, I **** hate people who quote a **** wall of text just to respond to one comment in it.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    Personally, I tinykitty hate people who quote a tinykitty wall of text just to respond to one comment in it.

You don't need to quote ALL the text, just the part that was affecting the original comment. Usually quoting the particular paragraph where lies the text you want to mention is enough.

And in this particular case the original text was... two sentences !!!! OMG two complete sentences!!!! But if you think two whole sentences is too much, at least copy the part of the text that was affecting what you were talking about, it was just one sentence of text.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, that would've been a great help to anyone who might have assumed that when you said 5/5/3 was "ok", you were somehow implying that was his best build. I made the mistake of giving people credit for having better powers of comprehension than that.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2016
    I one large and one small prpblem with you analysis bbr.

(1) fhe best case scenario for cyc's red is about 12k damage for 15 ap because you can collect 10 tu and red ap at the same time using his yellow. There is also the complicating factor that some red may come from his blue, which costs ap, but also does damage, affecting the damage/ap ratio. Furthermore, cyc's red and blue can both be used to set up free/favorable matches via board control, which may further increase the damage/ap ratio or shorten a match. All of these little factors are why cyc is sneaky great, even though his topline numbers don't look as good as some other characters'.

(2) SL's red requires those cds to do real damage, and you aren't getting 6 of them without spending some ap, so its a bit unfair to say his red only costs 6.

I think the overall takeaway is that there are a lot of good single target red nukes in 4* land, and a lot of ways to accelerate red. So use whichever is boosted!
  • peterjb37
    peterjb37 Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Hey guys, I just champed Cyclops (5-3-5 is the build I'm going with if you're interested) making him my 2nd championed 4* along with xforce Deadpool.

I have Starlord, Invisible Woman and Devil Dino all with 12 covers and I'm considering spending 120 command points to buy the last cover so I have a team of champed 4*s, but I was wondering if you guys think any of those 3 would make a good 3rd teammate for Cyclops and Deadpool?

Thanks for the advice!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    peterjb37 wrote:
    Hey guys, I just champed Cyclops (5-3-5 is the build I'm going with if you're interested) making him my 2nd championed 4* along with xforce Deadpool.

I have Starlord, Invisible Woman and Devil Dino all with 12 covers and I'm considering spending 120 command points to buy the last cover so I have a team of champed 4*s, but I was wondering if you guys think any of those 3 would make a good 3rd teammate for Cyclops and Deadpool?

Thanks for the advice!
    I suppose Star-Lord and X-force Deadpool could be Worth trying together, but the color overlap doesn't make that the best team. Invisible Woman and Deadpool do form a full Rainbow (no Active black though) but she's not someone I'd recommend as an early champion. Devil Dinosaur is only available during the anniversary, so don't level him until September at the earliest.
    TL;DR version: save your CP for now. Cyclops is dang good, but ideally you want to pair him with a good Purple/green user (Iceman, Rulk, Teen Jean) for good color coverage.

Oh, and you also shouldn't be leveling your fivestars at this stage of the game. Keep the covers, but save your ISO for your fourstars.
  • Piro_plock
    edited August 2017
    mexus said:
    I champed this boy and was very eager to do so because he's often listed as a top-guy.
    But I'm disappointed. Why is he supposed to be better than, for instance, Riri?

My theory is that he's a veteran favourite and veterans are too stubborn to realize the potential in all these new characters that get released all the time. 
    Classic Cyke has one thing going for him: excellent board control. His damage wasn't that great even when he was brand new, but the possibilities he gives you are unparalleled in 4* land (or at least were, until Gwenpool came out). Also, he's a very flexible battery (red and your strongest colour, which you can choose via team composition).
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    @mexus I had a similar result to you when I champed him.  I think he's over-rated.  I personally don't enjoy using him at all.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Cyclops is still a very good character. He was my 2nd 4* champ - I'm up to 30 now - and I still use him in the top half of that group.
    Here's the thing, he is more suited for players who want to consider strategy. If you just want to do this for damage then do that for damage, you may not rate him too highly.
    This game offers a rewarding experience if you can make the effort to appreciate clever abilities.
    But I get it, most of the game design rewards speed and grinding, making it difficult to do the above. 

• Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    As my fore-posters have already mentioned Cyke is mostly famous because of his board control. He´s especially useful in boss fights on a team with MoStorm and Kamala Khan. Back in the days of the horrible Boss Rush I was able to complete the penultimate round of this event - just because of my 3/3/3 Cyke!
  • kennn712
    kennn712 Posts: 69 Match Maker
    I love my Cyke. Chaining skill after skill is damn satisfying
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cyclops, Riri, and IM40 is my go to team for fighting Apocalypse in this new event. Literally only 3 colors for the whole team? That's fine. Apocalypse is dead too quick for it to matter anyway. Cyclops when boosted is nuts.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Anon said:
    Cyclops, Riri, and IM40 is my go to team for fighting Apocalypse in this new event. Literally only 3 colors for the whole team? That's fine. Apocalypse is dead too quick for it to matter anyway. Cyclops when boosted is nuts.

Yeah, when boosted his red does almost as much damage per AP as Riri does unboosted. :)
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    I made a "Suggestion" thread about this but I'm gonna put it here as well.
    Called Shot needs to be able to destroy also charged red tiles.
    And countdowns.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Finally got around to champing 4-star Cyke today. I know he's a pretty straightforward character with self-synergy between his red & yellow but does anyone use him on any teams? Seems like the game has left this guy behind with far better options elsewhere in every color. I mean, even 3-star Cyclops seems more effective.