***** Gambit (Classic) *****

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    D4Ni13 said:
    Now that the article's out revealing Gambit and Nightcrawler coming out next, please be Nightcrawler, please be Nightcrawler, please be Nightcrawler, please be Nightcrawler!
    As much as I would have liked Gambit to be a 4* for accessibility purposes, these descriptions does not make any sense for Nightcrawler (he mush have his teleport in some kind of way... and that would imply invisibility or something like that). I think this is Gambit. 

Also the order says that after Rogue we will have a 5*, and Gambit is the chosen one. 
    I don't think teleporting = invisibility automatically. Sure, you can't see him while he's teleporting, but the duration of that is practically zero. More likely they'll represent his teleporting with either a Bamf! rescue or a teleport frenzy, or that 'offensive teleport' thing he does where he teleports with unwilling targets multiple times to disorient/exhaust them.

In any case, I think it's pretty likely that this is Gambit, as he and Rogue have traditionally been a pair. 

"First, we charge the card..."
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    D4Ni13 said:
    Now that the article's out revealing Gambit and Nightcrawler coming out next, please be Nightcrawler, please be Nightcrawler, please be Nightcrawler, please be Nightcrawler!
    As much as I would have liked Gambit to be a 4* for accessibility purposes, these descriptions does not make any sense for Nightcrawler (he mush have his teleport in some kind of way... and that would imply invisibility or something like that). I think this is Gambit. 

Also the order says that after Rogue we will have a 5*, and Gambit is the chosen one. 
    I don't think teleporting = invisibility automatically. Sure, you can't see him while he's teleporting, but the duration of that is practically zero. More likely they'll represent his teleporting with either a Bamf! rescue or a teleport frenzy, or that 'offensive teleport' thing he does where he teleports with unwilling targets multiple times to disorient/exhaust them.

In any case, I think it's pretty likely that this is Gambit, as he and Rogue have traditionally been a pair. 

How about something like "Nightcrawler converts a selected basic [color dependant?] tile into a 4-turn (fortified?) Countdown tile (Bamf! tile) which sends Nightcrawler airborn for 1 turn at the end of each of your turns." Probably deal damage to random enemy when landing or have a passive "(Passive) Nightcrawler deals X damage to a random enemy when landing from an airborne status." Could even add "When this countdown expires, stun enemy for X turns (random or targeted, not sure which)".
    Thing is, Nightcrawler is a good candidate for both airborne and invisible abilities. There was one issue I read where he was crawling through ventilation, and a camera showed that in the shadows, he became partially transparent. Proabaly looking at the idea of a passive "if there are X black tiles on the board, Nightcrawler becomes invisible". EDIT addition, Imagine that when using Cloak and Dagger, and their passive suddenly makes the enemy Nightcrawler invisible before you can finish him off. What a pain!
  • Ezrius
    Ezrius Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    D4Ni13 said:

Actually, Nightcrawler also has an ability where he becomes invisible when in dark shadows.  It's been touched on several times and also forgotten by many writers over the years, but it's a thing.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Ezrius said:
    Actually, Nightcrawler also has an ability where he becomes invisible when in dark shadows.  It's been touched on several times and also forgotten by many writers over the years, but it's a thing.
    Ok, sure. But they've only got 3 powers to work with; I'm not sure "invisible in the shadows" is going to make the top 3, between teleporting, sword-play, teleporting, and also teleporting. Plus, that's pretty close in flavor to BSSMs shadowy acrobatics, and I'm hoping he'll be more... unique.. than that.

zodiac339 said:
    How about something like "Nightcrawler converts a selected basic [color dependant?] tile into a 4-turn (fortified?) Countdown tile (Bamf! tile) which sends Nightcrawler airborn for 1 turn at the end of each of your turns." Probably deal damage to random enemy when landing or have a passive "(Passive) Nightcrawler deals X damage to a random enemy when landing from an airborne status." Could even add "When this countdown expires, stun enemy for X turns (random or targeted, not sure which)".
    Thing is, Nightcrawler is a good candidate for both airborne and invisible abilities. There was one issue I read where he was crawling through ventilation, and a camera showed that in the shadows, he became partially transparent. Proabaly looking at the idea of a passive "if there are X black tiles on the board, Nightcrawler becomes invisible". EDIT addition, Imagine that when using Cloak and Dagger, and their passive suddenly makes the enemy Nightcrawler invisible before you can finish him off. What a pain!
    I feel like you want airborne more for the effect than because it makes actual sense. Keep in mind that lots of characters who are, in theory, very difficult to identify or attack (Quicksilver, Mystique, Ant-Man, to name only a few) have no evasive mechanical qualities at all in MPQ. (ok, Mystique has a stun).
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    If its gambit I hope they don't go with the Xmen #1 cover art that they've been using.  For a 5* I hope they use something more distinct looking, like a colorized version of that hologram card that everyone probably has.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Assuming this is Gambit or Nightcrawler, based on the Marvel.com article for Rogue, do we think this will be another 3*/5* release or just a 5*?  Nothing about a 3* was mentioned anywhere, but they've been pretty consistent releasing 3* versions of the 5* characters when no 3* of that character exists...
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZootSax said:
    Assuming this is Gambit or Nightcrawler, based on the Marvel.com article for Rogue, do we think this will be another 3*/5* release or just a 5*?  Nothing about a 3* was mentioned anywhere, but they've been pretty consistent releasing 3* versions of the 5* characters when no 3* of that character exists...

I would hope it's a 5/3. Gambit has been highly requested for a long time and to make him solely a 5 would be a pretty **** move.
  • SpecSpecter
    SpecSpecter Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Ok, sure. But they've only got 3 powers to work with; I'm not sure "invisible in the shadows" is going to make the top 3, between teleporting, sword-play, teleporting, and also teleporting. Plus, that's pretty close in flavor to BSSMs shadowy acrobatics, and I'm hoping he'll be more... unique.. than that.
    If swashbuckling doesn't make it into Nightcrawler's move-set I'm going to be very upset.
  • Ezrius
    Ezrius Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Ezrius said:
    I'm not saying I want him to have an invisibility power, I'm just saying there's precedent.  He has invisibility or stealth powers in almost every game he's appeared in.  That said, I'm generally not a huge fan of invisibility powers, so I won't complain if the set focuses more teleportation, swashbuckling, and trickery.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Why would they make Gambit a 5* though? What's the thinking behind that? Maybe it's someone else they've not told us about?
  • vinsensual
    Ezrius said:
    Ezrius said:
    I'm not saying I want him to have an invisibility power, I'm just saying there's precedent.  He has invisibility or stealth powers in almost every game he's appeared in.  That said, I'm generally not a huge fan of invisibility powers, so I won't complain if the set focuses more teleportation, swashbuckling, and trickery.
    He was so fun to play in Xmen Legends
  • Jaedenkaal
    Why would they make Gambit a 5* though? What's the thinking behind that? Maybe it's someone else they've not told us about?
    Because they're also making him a 3*
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards

Because he was the most requested character in every survey. He beat out the second requested, Night Crawler, by double the votes. Hence why they used Gambit for the 3/5 release.. so newer players have a chance to play with the raging Cajun.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Wonder how many AP he will generate per turn with the 1st cover in black? Probably 1 red 1 purple, then up with each cover. 
    Hopefully his purple places all the CD's regardless if there are the preferred number of enemy specials (and I doubt this). If they have only 1, like 3*Cage, or None at all like some teams... be ready for complaints.
  • vinsensual
    edited October 2017
    There's gonna be a deluge of complaints, from me alone, if his black is gonna block red and purple powers without a self imposed means of disabling it.

*His own purple sounds really cool though.  It was always super annoying whenever an enemy Yelena teamup would replace my special tiles with crits.
  • Jaedenkaal
    There's gonna be a deluge of complaints, from me alone, if his black is gonna block red and purple powers without a self imposed means of disabling it.

*His own purple sounds really cool though.  It was always super annoying whenever an enemy Yelena teamup would replace my special tiles with crits.
    I don't know. Surely it's not that hard to make a team with no other red or purple actives.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anyone else feel like Gambit seems like an improved Mordo?
  • vinsensual

I don't know. Surely it's not that hard to make a team with no other red or purple actives.
    Probably not that hard, but definitely not a team of the latest legends once he makes the rotation.  Maybe Gambit's red will be better than Spidey's, but can't lose the DD stun.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    His Black could be beneficial if you team him up with Thano5, especially on defence, to prevent Thanos's purple from locking the board and blocking your own board-changing moves
    My first thought as teammate was Bl4de.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Starfury said:
    His Black could be beneficial if you team him up with Thano5, especially on defence, to prevent Thanos's purple from locking the board and blocking your own board-changing moves
    My first thought as teammate was Bl4de.
    Not bad, but agaisnt 5* teams would it be good enough ?