Why are people pushing past 4000 points in a single versus event?

stealthdroid
stealthdroid Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
SCL 8 here, wondering why anyone would want to grind that far? It's not a single person either. The top rewards don't seem that great if I am required to get over 2000 points to stay competitive. I know how they do it, I am just wondering the reasoning.
Tagged:

Comments

• Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    They are competing for top placement in the season. Placement in the event is just a bonus. 
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe they're getting in the groove for when the top progression reward is 100+ wins per event.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    To justify all the $ spent
  • Electrovirus
    Electrovirus Posts: 64 Match Maker
    They need a life?
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Why do these posts only appear when it's S4 doing the high scoring?  I saw scores over 7K in S3 last season without mention of it on the forums.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,245 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because they don't feel like fighting level 515 symbiotes and are playing more PVP?
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    Tony Foot said:
    Competitive spirit

//Removed Inappropriate Content -Brigby
    You mean; front-run, inject points, individual rank, alliance rank, baking, and good natured competition.  Some of these are the nicest, most grounded people I've met online.  You should be thanking them due to trickle down.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Hendross said:
    Tony Foot said:
    Competitive spirit

You mean; front-run, inject points, individual rank, alliance rank, baking, and good natured competition.  Some of these are the nicest, most grounded people I've met online.  You should be thanking them due to trickle down.
    Not when they're shutting out T50.  It was just as hard for me to get to my usual stopping point, but now I get 2* covers because rank 50 is over 2k.  I'm not thanking anyone for the **** they scraped off their boot.

I think the "rising tide" theory is way overblown in the forums.  It only helps you if you see those juicy matches, which requires you to participate actively to get them.  It's only a rising tide if you catch the wave.  Everyone else is still stuck hitting 30 point matches and getting smacked around by 5* rosters the moment they pass 900.
  • Calnexin
    I don't usually play in s4, but I was late to the event and needed extra time to climb, because I really wanted that Jean cover.  S1 suits me just fine most of the time.

Inflation is a problem of the player's making.  Once you hit progression the only reason to keep going is placement, and people are pushing each other way past where they need to.  The top scorers would get the same prizes if they all had their scores cut by 80%.  It's not like the rest of us peons can even come close to catching up.  That's a lot of playtime for the couple thousand iso per player in match rewards generated by all the excess.
  • Mercator
    Mercator Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    its all about season scores
  • San Narciso
    San Narciso Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    The Grand Prize!
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2017
    Calnexin said:
    Hendross said:
    Tony Foot said:
    Competitive spirit

Not when they're shutting out T50.  It was just as hard for me to get to my usual stopping point, but now I get 2* covers because rank 50 is over 2k.  I'm not thanking anyone for the tinykitty they scraped off their boot.

I think the "rising tide" theory is way overblown in the forums.  It only helps you if you see those juicy matches, which requires you to participate actively to get them.  It's only a rising tide if you catch the wave.  Everyone else is still stuck hitting 30 point matches and getting smacked around by 5* rosters the moment they pass 900.
    So your complaint is people that participate actively score better?
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    Jarvind said:
    Hendross said:
    Tony Foot said:
    Competitive spirit

While I don't have any particular grudge against the people who get ludicrously high scores, I'm calling hogwash on the "trickle down" argument. If you look at the final top scores on a CL8 PVP, you'll see something like this:

There's always a HUGE gulf between top 5 and the rest. The points don't "trickle down" because those people grind high super early, and once they reach 1k+ are never unshielded for more than 3-4 minutes. So it's impossible, or nearly so, for anyone else to reap the benefits of the whole LINE shieldcheck/cooperative score inflation racket. Sure, once in a long while somebody outside the club can queue up a grillcake or cupsteak or beefsnake or whatever they're called now, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

Again, I don't harbor any ill will towards these people and I don't have any illusion that it's going to stop anytime soon, but don't tell me it benefits everyone because it's nonsense.

Can we call them beefsnakes? I reread that just now and I found it really funny. I kill me.
    I'm just now reaching that conclusion as well.  I get roughly the same score with the same effort in various slices.

You know where i was able to it a quadruple digit score?  Off season when i played and got 40 wins at my own pace, against a MUCH larger variety of opponents, with no concern about losing those points.  Where are all the people screaming bloody murder about "more effort for less rewards" for placement while this goes on during the regular season?  
  • Calnexin
    Qubort said:
    Calnexin said:
    Hendross said:
    Tony Foot said:
    Competitive spirit

Not when they're shutting out T50.  It was just as hard for me to get to my usual stopping point, but now I get 2* covers because rank 50 is over 2k.  I'm not thanking anyone for the tinykitty they scraped off their boot.

So your complaint is people that participate actively score better?
    I'm not complaining.  I do my best to stay away from the crazy.  I'm pointing out that all the high-and-mighty rising tide folks that consider themselves a gift to the community are being disingenuous.  They're helping the people who want to play that way, and hyperinflating the scores necessary for desirable placement as a side effect.
  • Matt Murdock
    Matt Murdock Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    This whole "issue" is due to the design of pvp. Theres no upper cap on points, so people will always figure out a way to outscore others. And then those others will return the favor, and the scores go far beyond progression. If they wanted to prevent people from getting really high points they would have put a cap, but that would leave no way to break ties because everyone would get the max points. Just like in pve where people overtap like crazy to get those few extra points, and dont just stop right when they get the CP. Demi is making us fight for placement, and this is what happens. And i really dont see anything wrong with it. They have a strategy that works and are willing to expend a lot more time, so they win. Thats how games are, deal with it.

As for the trickle down theory. Its not a theory, and its not as direct as you are assuming. There is a direct relationship between the top scores and how easy it is for someone to hit 1200, lets say. Okay some of those high point scorers go out for a few minutes and then shield up. Even if you didnt q them, there are plenty of others who did, and that causes the points in the slice to rise. The people who got the q will hit it and climb higher, others will hit them and climb higher, and it all comes full circle eventually.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Spudgutter said: ... Where are all the people screaming bloody murder about "more effort for less rewards" for placement while this goes on during the regular season?  
    That hasnt been the complaint regarding the tests.

Placement rewatds were increased during those tests ... by robbing the top progression.

The complaint was more effort being required for the same or reduced progression rewards.

If you've enjoyed those tests, its easy to replicate that difference. Convince everyone to stop shielding, stop worrying so much about hits.
    Good point, if they had left the cp in progression, placement would not be the issue. 

But, don't you think there is still some correlation?  Some said they dont want to do 40 matches in a win based system,  but if you hit 3000 on 75 point matches alone, that's 40. 

Maybe it's another example of the devs misreading the data i.e. the OML nerf.  Everyone is using him? Must be overpowered, lets make him weaker.  No, everyone uses him to save on health packs. Tweak his healing to require several covers before it kicks in (so he isn't as valuable if you have just one yellow cover), and leave his other powers alone (or boost them a little to counter the lost healing and keep up with 5* power creep).
  • A_Wise_Man
    A_Wise_Man Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Hendross said:
    Tony Foot said:
    Competitive spirit

What does front-run mean?  What is baking?  It seems like a lot of work to hit 4k.  Do points stay really high after like 1500? Like, if i run 5 stars, can I keep hitting people for hours and nobody hits me and my gains are all 50 points?  I know I get to like 800 and get hit a bunch and all my battles are worth 30 points.  Are these people cheating?
  • Rodolfo78
    Rodolfo78 Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Hendross said:
    Tony Foot said:
    Competitive spirit

What does front-run mean?  What is baking?  It seems like a lot of work to hit 4k.  Do points stay really high after like 1500? Like, if i run 5 stars, can I keep hitting people for hours and nobody hits me and my gains are all 50 points?  I know I get to like 800 and get hit a bunch and all my battles are worth 30 points.  Are these people cheating?

Player A gets a really high score early in an event, and shields. They then communicate with Player B outside the game about when exactly they're going to unshield; player B can then queue a high-value player A right when their shield is (very briefly) down. Player B waits to hit player A until the shield is back up; player B gains many points, player A loses none. Player B returns the favor for player A.

Players used to be able to do this with extremely low level teams (loaner and two level 1s), beating other such teams with coordinated shield hops. These teams were referred to as "cupcakes". Devs changed the matchmaking such that a defensive team has to be more serious now, so you'll sometimes come across a 75-point team consisting of loaner/champ 3*/champ 5*; these used to be called "grills", but per Jarvind this is now called "whipping out a beefsnake". Anyone that takes advantage is "eating a beefsnake".

Eating beefsnakes is not illegal, though many argue it's not how the game was meant to be played.