Another * to ** Advice Request

Options
Greetings!

I am currently on day 10, and have been fortunate so far with my drops and timing. Not that I got a lot of *** covers, but that I got runs of good covers from standard recruit tokens. I have not, nor do I plan to, spend money on this. I am enjoying the collectible aspect and random chances for pulls from tokens.

I have almost all of prologue chapters 4 left to do, and have not started 5. I am at just over 500 on the Shield Versus progression PVP rewards.

Here is my roster thus far:

C. Storm 3/1/2/ Lvl 30 (All story mode covers collected, leveled her up for simulator)
Iron Man 35 4/5/3 Lvl 27 (Haven't seen a need yet to pump more ISO in him)
M. Storm 5/5/3 Lvl 22
Juggernaut 5/3 Lvl 22 (He fits my playstyle now.. long periods between play sessions)
Thor 1/2/2 Lvl 22 (3 covers from story mode claimed)
mBW 3/5 Lvl 17 (Like her a lot still, but using her for abilities)
Hood 1 Blue
oBW 1P/2B Lvl 14
Daken 2/1 Lvl 14 (none from story, all from tourney rewards)
Wolverine 1/1/1 Lvl 9 (No story/daily/vs drops yet, got 1 cover in a token and 2 covers from villain tourney, looks like I will end up with another 2-3 of him from Sim event)
Venom 3/3 lvl 6 (No story/daily drops/vs rewards, all token pulls)
Captain America 1 Red lvl 6

In the wings:
Magneto NOW Blue (really don't think I'll keep)
Doctor Doom Blue (would like to keep, see below)
Modern Hawkeye Blue (meh. Getting a lot of other great ** covers coming my way. Will hold for a week and see)

1660 ISO
75 HP (figuring on another 100 HP from sim event, need 200 HP for next slot)

I have sold Multiple Bag-Man, Yelenas, and even an Ares and a Bullseye (no way to get guaranteed covers for him vs Thor, Wolvie, etc)

Looking way ahead, I know I will get a black Doom and a yellow Hood eventually, and I like the idea of the Blue ability for Hood.

My questions:

1) Is Venom worth keeping around? At this point I know I will get all his covers, and he might be handy has a devouring sniper, and therefore a utility character. Or is that pushing it for what it will take in ISO to bring him up at this point?
2) What are some indicators that it will be time to retire IM35 and Juggernaut as tanks/bruisers?
3) Cap is fun to play in PvE, but should he be next on the removal list to fit, say Doom or other *** I might have to park? Especially since I already have managed to get several high-rated ** characters with multiple covers, such as OBW, Thor, cStorm and Wolverine?
4) Has anyone ever regretted selling a *** early in the game (before you could level them), now that you are exclusively developing your *** teams?
5) Any redundancies in my list that you would recommend culling next if I don't get some more slots soon? I am concerned about stalling by trying to transition too soon.

Some useful things I learned so far:

Turn off the tutorial right away to avoid spending your first 50HP on BW or Hawkeye
Spend HP only for roster slots
Play lightning rounds by playing enough matches to get a recruit token in the progressive awards and get out. Not hard to do!
Watch the wiki to know what covers you will eventually be given, favor ** characters that you will get almost half of their covers that way.

Have fun, and thanks in advance.

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1) Is Venom worth keeping around? At this point I know I will get all his covers, and he might be handy has a devouring sniper, and therefore a utility character. Or is that pushing it for what it will take in ISO to bring him up at this point?

I don't think he's worth the roster slot at your point in the game. The issue with him is that he is extremely slow to get going (24 ap purple AP for 6 web tiles and then 12 ap or something for devour, and is largely useless until he can get off that combo) and has really low HP. I would probably toss him to make room.
    2) What are some indicators that it will be time to retire IM35 and Juggernaut as tanks/bruisers?

When you get Thor/Wolvie/Ares to around level 60ish, at which point they start surpassing IM35/juggs in terms of hp and damage.
    3) Cap is fun to play in PvE, but should he be next on the removal list to fit, say Doom or other *** I might have to park? Especially since I already have managed to get several high-rated ** characters with multiple covers, such as OBW, Thor, cStorm and Wolverine?
    4) Has anyone ever regretted selling a *** early in the game (before you could level them), now that you are exclusively developing your *** teams?

I've never done this myself (I had a purple loki that I contemplated selling a lot, but ended up getting some roster slots so I didn't have to. Looking back, I don't think I would have regretted it since I've only used Loki when he was required. I would have regretted selling covers that are really hard to find, such as yellow Hood and blue spidey.

5) Any redundancies in my list that you would recommend culling next if I don't get some more slots soon? I am concerned about stalling by trying to transition too soon.

Not especially. The main issues with tossing covers is that they might be required for future tournaments/pve events. For instance, you're going to need that blue mags cover if you want to compete in the Mags tournament. I would think that of the covers you have, Venom is the only real candidate for removal. You can consider Daken (who probably wont be buffed anytime soon, but is a good starter character) and Cap (is prone to getting buffs in pve events) next if you really need space. I would try to time it such that you make sure that the character you're deleting isn't featured in a tournament so that you wont have to worry about needing the character during the tourney.

Some useful things I learned so far:

Turn off the tutorial right away to avoid spending your first 50HP on BW or Hawkeye
    Spend HP only for roster slots
    Play lightning rounds by playing enough matches to get a recruit token in the progressive awards and get out. Not hard to do!
    Watch the wiki to know what covers you will eventually be given, favor ** characters that you will get almost half of their covers that way.

Have fun, and thanks in advance.[/quote]
  • Great, thanks!

I took out Venom and put in Magneto to at least pop into the tourney and grab a token and some ISO. Looks like I have a decent shot at some Cap covers now too.

I get a Red Thor in a daily drop, and am still holding in the sim to get 3 Wolverine covers at the end. I'll be able to take Wolverine and Thor up to level 30 then.

Should I keep putting ISO into Iron Man and Juggernaut? I plan to keep M. Storm below the tanks' level, but by the end of this week my ** characters will be as powerful as my 1* characters... unless I dump ISO into IM35 and Juggernaut to bring them up closer to their max.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Great, thanks!

I took out Venom and put in Magneto to at least pop into the tourney and grab a token and some ISO. Looks like I have a decent shot at some Cap covers now too.

I get a Red Thor in a daily drop, and am still holding in the sim to get 3 Wolverine covers at the end. I'll be able to take Wolverine and Thor up to level 30 then.

Should I keep putting ISO into Iron Man and Juggernaut? I plan to keep M. Storm below the tanks' level, but by the end of this week my ** characters will be as powerful as my 1* characters... unless I dump ISO into IM35 and Juggernaut to bring them up closer to their max.

YOur goal should be to make the transition while spending as little iso as possible, so I wouldn't put anymore iso into im35 or juggs.
  • Coming up on a month (think I get he Daken cover drop in 5 days).

I have:

** Wolverine 4/5/4 lvl 55
    Thor 5/3/3 lvl 50
    C.Storm 4/4/2 lvl 45
    OBW 1/4/2 lvl 38
    Daken 4/2 lvl 45
    ** Magneto 3/4/1 lvl 31
    IM35 5/5/3 lvl 30
    Juggernut 5/5 lvl 30
    mStorm 5/5/3 lvl 30
    mBW 4/5 lvl 20
    mHawkeye 0/0/1 lvl 6
    Captain America ~20, 4/3/3

The Hood 1/1/1 lvl 20
    IM40 1/1/0 lvl 18
    Punisher 1/1/0 lvl 18
    Doom blue
    GSBW Red
    Hulk Green
    Psylocke Blue

In the wings:
    Ragnorok Green
    *** Magneto Blue

19 slots in total, 100 HP at the moment. Need 250 for my next

Planning ahead, I expect to get Ares 1/1/1 in the current tourney, and need to get Classic Mags into the roster before he expires in a few days. With 2 Hulk event tokens a day, it is even possible I will need to make room for Panther quickly. Punisher should get at least his read and possibly another black in the Hulk event progression rewards.

Pretty sure I'll just sell Ragnarok and leaning towards ditching GSBW since I have no interest in either of them, even for late game. mHawkeye was from tokens, and I'm keeping him at the moment in case he is required in a Hulk sub (I got one IM40 from a token pull, so pushed into top 45 to grab the extra HP and another IM40 cover instead of 3 Hawkeyes).

mBW has not been used in some time, but she is a reliable stun utility character. IM35 and Juggs are just waiting around now for 1* tourneys or theme/required events. mStorm can use ISO, but it seems there are always characters that could use it more, such as buffed event characters.

Thoughts on who to remove? I keep thinking that mBW will be more useful than a red GSBW for quite some time. I'm going to need a LOT of ISO, so not really sure I want to ditch the 1* guys just yet and rebuild them later, since that would just cost even more ISO overall.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Coming up on a month (think I get he Daken cover drop in 5 days).

I have:

** Wolverine 4/5/4 lvl 55
    Thor 5/3/3 lvl 50
    C.Storm 4/4/2 lvl 45
    OBW 1/4/2 lvl 38
    Daken 4/2 lvl 45
    ** Magneto 3/4/1 lvl 31
    IM35 5/5/3 lvl 30
    Juggernut 5/5 lvl 30
    mStorm 5/5/3 lvl 30
    mBW 4/5 lvl 20
    mHawkeye 0/0/1 lvl 6
    Captain America ~20, 4/3/3

The Hood 1/1/1 lvl 20
    IM40 1/1/0 lvl 18
    Punisher 1/1/0 lvl 18
    Doom blue
    GSBW Red
    Hulk Green
    Psylocke Blue

In the wings:
    Ragnorok Green
    *** Magneto Blue

19 slots in total, 100 HP at the moment. Need 250 for my next

Planning ahead, I expect to get Ares 1/1/1 in the current tourney, and need to get Classic Mags into the roster before he expires in a few days. With 2 Hulk event tokens a day, it is even possible I will need to make room for Panther quickly. Punisher should get at least his read and possibly another black in the Hulk event progression rewards.

Pretty sure I'll just sell Ragnarok and leaning towards ditching GSBW since I have no interest in either of them, even for late game. mHawkeye was from tokens, and I'm keeping him at the moment in case he is required in a Hulk sub (I got one IM40 from a token pull, so pushed into top 45 to grab the extra HP and another IM40 cover instead of 3 Hawkeyes).

mBW has not been used in some time, but she is a reliable stun utility character. IM35 and Juggs are just waiting around now for 1* tourneys or theme/required events. mStorm can use ISO, but it seems there are always characters that could use it more, such as buffed event characters.

Thoughts on who to remove? I keep thinking that mBW will be more useful than a red GSBW for quite some time. I'm going to need a LOT of ISO, so not really sure I want to ditch the 1* guys just yet and rebuild them later, since that would just cost even more ISO overall.

I'd just ditch the 1* guys except for M. Storm, so mBW->IM35->Juggs. Once you move up to 2* characters, literally the only time you will use your 1s are during the random 1* tournament that occurs once every month or two, which doesn't really justify having them take up space in your roster. I'd pick up rags/C. Mags and dump IM35/mBW. Juggs is stronger than IM35, so yeah.
  • Are the 1* characters ever featured in an event, other than 1* pvp tourneys?

And I guess worst case mSTorm and Juggernaut is a formidable team... for that one infrequent event. Also I'm short on good pvp villains for the time.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Are the 1* characters ever featured in an event, other than 1* pvp tourneys?

And I guess worst case mSTorm and Juggernaut is a formidable team... for that one infrequent event. Also I'm short on good pvp villains for the time.

I haven't seen them featured in any events for the past 3 months except for the 1* pvp tournaments, which I've only seen happen once.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options

MStorm is currently featured in Divine Champions.

Speaking of which, the second set of placement rewards for D.Champs is funky: only 1 C.Storm cover for all three tiers.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    HailMary wrote:

MStorm is currently featured in Divine Champions.

Speaking of which, the second set of placement rewards for D.Champs is funky: only 1 C.Storm cover for all three tiers.

Ah, forgot about those: there was also a widowmaker tournament that required either mBW, OBW, or GSBW, but most of these tournaments have buffed 2*/3* characters as well. AFAIK, 1* only is the only tournament where you would actually want to use the 1* character over a 2* equivalent.
  • I'm no expert by any means, but I recently used mStorm, mWidow and MNMags to take 230 Hulk down twice. I used that combo to keep him in stunlock, so aside from the first 2-3 turns that it took to get the stunlock going, I was not touched by him. While I love cStorm's wind storm, I opted for mWidow's stun as it costs less and at the moment, most of my roster would not stand up long to a 230 hulk. 1*'s do have their uses aside from specialized tournaments. Just my two cents.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Eh, once you've taken down a powered-up 230 Hulk a few times with a team, you're at least an expert at using that team. I have both Storms fully leveled, and unless there's a specific reason not to, I always take M Storm with me to a PvE match. To me, C Storm is a better PvP character -- if nothing else, mid-level players are more likely to skip a team with an 85 C Storm than a 50 M Storm.

People who complain that certain PvE nodes are impossible without Spidey just haven't figured out what M Storm is capable of! I recommend never selling her!
  • Thanks for the input. Sold mBW, Iron Man and mHawkeye, added cMags, Ragnarok, and Ares.

Thor hit level 60 today, and cStorm is at 50. Really not seeing a need for too many * characters other than the occasional mStorm as backup.

I've only face a 230 hulk once, and his match damage killed off my team long before his powers or mine had a chance to kick in. But when I reloaded he was about 200 and I mopped the floor with him. I'm fielding Thor, Punisher and oBW, and basically can deny and steal AP until Thor can finish him with all his powers at once, right after oBW tops off everyone's health. There's a lot of ways to take down a 230 Hulk.

I have cStorm for stunning, she stuns 3 turns right now plus lots of team damage. If the Divine Champions tournament had been for all 3 covers I could have cover maxed her. icon_e_sad.gif
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    I'm fielding Thor, Punisher and oBW, and basically can deny and steal AP until Thor can finish him with all his powers at once, right after oBW tops off everyone's health. There's a lot of ways to take down a 230 Hulk.
    Yep, I'm doing the same thing, though I usually go for BP instead of Punisher as deadweight tank. I always err on the conservative side when gauging when to Thor-nuke, though, so 1-cover Rage of the Panther and 1-cover Retribution never get any play. icon_lol.gif
    If the Divine Champions tournament had been for all 3 covers I could have cover maxed her. icon_e_sad.gif
    Same. I really hope that reward structure doesn't stay.