3* to 4* Still Possible?

Dyspeptic
Dyspeptic Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
 I was planning on earning the 4* cover for each PvE event to gradually make it into the 4* tier, but now the level caps are too high! Does anyone have suggestions about how to change tiers now? Grinding PvP with 3* seems too challenging and saving 300 tokens to sure-pull the DPDQ 4* seems slow. CP don't seem to come in regularly at this level. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    The level cap looks higher now because of the 5*-required node. The difficulty hasn't changed otherwise, and if you skip it you can still make all the progression.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    When I transitioned 4* covers weren't being given out from PvE progression and PvP progression / placement (both) was too difficult.  The ways to do it:
    - CP
    - LTs
    - 3* champ rewards
    - Daily rewards (if you're lucky to be close)
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    I'm not suggesting this as the best solution, but you could:

1) Buy your way there. 
    2) Focus your game play to generate as many 3* covers as possible and use those champ levels to work on your 4*s while also making sure you maintain a full 2* farm. 
    3) A combo of 1 and 2.

Depending on where you're at as a 3* player, you could probably still play at SCL 7 and hit max progression. Also, you should try to hit 300 every PVP for an event token. You'll likely get a 2*...but everything helps. Set 3* Dr. Strange as your only Bonus Hero and keep him there until he maxes out. He'll allow you to play up in PVE. 

The main key to transitioning from 3* to 4* is to put time in and keep a 2* farm. If you put in time, you should be able to max progress in PVE, and if you can do that, the rewards will come in quickly enough. You'll actually be surprised how quickly the transition happens. By this time next year you'll be fully invested in the 4* tier and working on farming some 3* as well.

There's plenty more, but you'll figure out what works for you as you go. Good luck!
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    SCL 7 hasn't changed in difficulty and is totally doable with champed 3-stars, so the 4-star progression is still in play for you. Also, CP adds up quick from:

PvE progression
    PvP progression (575 points is within reach of a 3-star roster)
    PvE Nodes (hard nodes)
    VIP Membership
    SHIELD Intercepts (VIP cost will grant you these)
    2-star farming
    3-star champ rewards
    DDQ
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    I'm confused. Can you not just continue to play CL8? 

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot the 5* node had been added to CL7 and 8. I haz the dumb.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor

Still possible? Of course, its easier than its ever been to transition to 4*s...

CP is given out many different ways, DDQ is more profitable than it used to be, an additional node was added for more rewards to pve without the progression bar moving... you can target specific heroes with the favorite option...

By just playing you'll accidentally transition from 3*s to 4*s now...

If you're asking on ways to make that more efficient, theres probably a lot of advice folks can give to bootstrap your progress...  Without knowing where you are in the 3* game I'd have this bit of general advice:

Characters to favorite (only favorite one at a time per tier to focus progress):

3* strange - his yellow will be a workhorse in the 3* game, and basically puts transitioning into 3* land on autopilot, fantastic way to deal with goons

3* thanos - his black will get you through all seed teams and the trivial nodes, pair him with high match damage and/or quick damage

3* im40 - one of the best characters to facilitate the 4* transition, can be a battery for quite a lot of highly damaging 4*s

4* r&g - their "welcome to the team" skill can define all your matches in pve scl7 and below, pair him with any other GOTG character for a very easy transition

PvE:

I highly recommend not going past scl7 if you are just transitioning into 4*s, even playing to half progression gets you the required 4* cover, and at scl7 3* thanos can take care of your 3 trivial nodes (pair him with any single covered 5* for match damage) 3* strange can take care of goon heavy nodes.  If you get 4* r&g championed then pairing him with a GOTG partner will take care of any node, including the essentials regardless of their third (if you draw him, pair r&g with 5*SL and thanos if you need to go FAST)

DDQ should be trivial to complete, if youre missing a 4* its not that big a deal, you'll have it rostered next time around, still a great source for cp and iso.

PVP:

Use thanos and any 5*s you have to clear lightning round seed teams (with thanos black start with the level 1-13 non-featured character.

Target 575 for the CP in PvP, use the skip option liberally and don't waste too much HP on shields (if you're not at or above 150 roster spots, I'd suggest dumping HP exclusively into roster spots).

If you're going to spend real money, I personally find the $2 cheapest HP bundle to be the best value, buy it at the first of the month and you have access to all the extra (used-to-be-intercept) node rewards.  VIP seems like a ripoff, and anything else seems even worse. 

• JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Play the long game. Roster/champion/sell 2* characters, whose rewards will feed you tokens, CP and 3* covers. Roster and champion (and maybe some day be lucky enough to sell) all 3* characters, whose rewards will feed you tokens, CP and the rare 4* cover.  I'm too impatient to bother with hoarding; sure, it might increase your odds incrementally, but you're paying the opportunity cost of not improving your current roster. I think you can get away with slightly fewer roster slots than MissChinch suggests -- I roll somewhere in the mid 130s, and have everyone except for the 1* characters rostered (even Howard/DD/Yelena/Bagman), but I'm also nowhere near 3* farming level.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Play the long game. Roster/champion/sell 2* characters, whose rewards will feed you tokens, CP and 3* covers. Roster and champion (and maybe some day be lucky enough to sell) all 3* characters, whose rewards will feed you tokens, CP and the rare 4* cover.  I'm too impatient to bother with hoarding; sure, it might increase your odds incrementally, but you're paying the opportunity cost of not improving your current roster. I think you can get away with slightly fewer roster slots than MissChinch suggests -- I roll somewhere in the mid 130s, and have everyone except for the 1* characters rostered (even Howard/DD/Yelena/Bagman), but I'm also nowhere near 3* farming level.
    Pretty much what Jack said. I was making the 3->4 transition 6 months ago, and I'm fully in 4 star land now with most of the newer 4s champed. I did green check clears on most nodes in PVE for T100 (also EXP) and went to 575/650 in PvP when I had the inclination. 
  • Dyspeptic
    Dyspeptic Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Thanks for the feedback. If anyone else is in the same boat, for reference: On goon nodes I run a 3* Iron Fist 3* Strange and 4* R&G (4/3/3) to get through. For villain nodes I use 3* Cage and 4* Carol (1/5/2) and 4* Medusa (2/1/3).

This let me get most rewards previously for SCL7. I guess the level cap might be misleading, but I haven't started the current PvE yet because I always jump in about 2hr before day 1 ends (bracket snipe helps me be more competitive). I'll try SCL7 later today and see how it goes. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards

If you're going to spend real money, I personally find the $2 cheapest HP bundle to be the best value, buy it at the first of the month and you have access to all the extra (used-to-be-intercept) node rewards.  VIP seems like a ripoff, and anything else seems even worse. 

Do you do this?  Do you find the rewards to make a substantial difference versus completely ftp?
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes,  if you play everyday,  it all adds up over time.  The $2 easily unlocks 100k+ iso 1000hp etc over 30days

Everyday your eligible for XXXX iso, XXX hp, Xcp.  You'll get the same amount everday for 30days, assuming you play enough matches each day.

• Hyposphere6234
    Hyposphere6234 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    I'm right in the middle of 3* and 4* transition and even though my pull style has been fairly reckless at times it's doable.