** Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men) **

Comments

• quazi44 wrote:
    I currently have a 3/3/3 wolvie with two yellow cards. Should I use them and wait for the repec abiltity or just sell and hold out until I can build a 5/5/3?

The only reason I can see NOT to use the covers is if you have no plan to use the character or level him up until you get the 5/5/3 covers. In that case, you'd be better off selling the two yellows for the minimal ISO and letting him collect dust until you're ready to use him. Since that's a pretty specific scenario and only costs you a couple hundred ISO, I'd say use them!

Thanks for the advice. Am I correct in my understanding of the respec in that I just need his covers to be maxed out, not his level cap?
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    quazi44 wrote:
    I currently have a 3/3/3 wolvie with two yellow cards. Should I use them and wait for the repec abiltity or just sell and hold out until I can build a 5/5/3?

The only reason I can see NOT to use the covers is if you have no plan to use the character or level him up until you get the 5/5/3 covers. In that case, you'd be better off selling the two yellows for the minimal ISO and letting him collect dust until you're ready to use him. Since that's a pretty specific scenario and only costs you a couple hundred ISO, I'd say use them!

Thanks for the advice. Am I correct in my understanding of the respec in that I just need his covers to be maxed out, not his level cap?

You are correct. So if your wolvie is 3/3/3 you cant respec him, if he's 3/3/5 you can't respec him. He has to have all 13 spots used up to respec

If you are a new player and wolverine is a character you need/want. put the yellow on him, 300 ISO isn't worth giving up 2 yellow covers. So you'll have a 3/3/5 wolvie, as you get the other covers, say you are 4/4/5. Now you can respec, if you get another green, it will ask what do you want to remove, you would pick red or yellow, and now you have a 5/4/4 wolvie, you get a red cover, same question, then you can get your 5/5/3 wolvie, that's how it will work, so you might as well put the 2 yellow covers on so you can begin leveling him if he is a character you plan on using.
  • Talahamut
    Talahamut Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    I'm currently using Wolvie(5/5/3), Spidey(1/5/3), OBW(3/5/5) as my main team...swapping out OBW if necessary for event team-up chars.

Does anybody have suggestions for something better than Wolvie? I've become so used to playing using his Strike tiles (even post-nerf) that it's tough for me to see a better option. I've got a lot more characters (maxed and not) although my Patch is only 0/2/2, so that's not a good switch.

Thanks!
  • Most people seem to use Daken now, or they keep Wolverine. I also use Daken and despite his lack of active powers, he is quite awesome.
  • Yeah Daken seems strictly better than Wolverine now. Does anyone know a good team/use for Wolvie now?? He feels outclassed in strike tile generation by Punisher/Patch/Daken and his hp is 2k less than Thor's so..... yeah
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah Daken seems strictly better than Wolverine now. Does anyone know a good team/use for Wolvie now?? He feels outclassed in strike tile generation by Punisher/Patch/Daken and his hp is 2k less than Thor's so..... yeah

Copy pasted from the Daken thread,
    Has anyone else noticed how much better Daken has gotten with Astonishing Wolvie nerf lately? He is a legitimate threat, and I think a case can be made for him being better than Astonishing.

I think Daken is better as long as you can tank useful colors with him. This means that once you start getting other characters to 85, they'll probably start to tank for Daken instead of vice versa (and if they don't tank for Daken then they wouldn't use purple/black meaning that you wouldn't want to match those colors anyways). After this point, Wolvie is superior simply due to how he has an active red (since strike tiles are similar in strength).
  • How dare you read other posts I have made Polarity! How DARE you! Lol
  • that was so much win~
  • zeeke
    zeeke Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    After the healing changes, I wonder if 5/3/5 is a better build now? Any thoughts?
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    zeeke wrote:
    After the healing changes, I wonder if 5/3/5 is a better build now? Any thoughts?

no. His yellow is too situational anyway, plus it would only heal you to 50%.
  • zeeke
    zeeke Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Well it would heal you to 49% + ~600hp. But you are most likely right either way, the small boost in health is not worth the drawback for red. Of they changed it to 100% heal at level 5 though..
  • For Heroic DA you can get away with 3/5/5 because you'll never use his green if you've a usable Punisher.

For normal purposes it's too much to give up in either green or red for an occasional boost.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    If not for his squishiness on defense, I would still use him over Thor or Ares - him/obw are my go-to teams for taking down Thor-teams, because he has those cheap green and red powers.

I got cascaded by the AI a couple days ago leading to Thor calling a storm a few turns in and hammering my obw out, then my less-than 1k health wolverine, as the sole survivor, happily healed himself up while denying Thor yellow, in between tossing out green and red slashes, and tinykittied the still very healthy enemy team until they all cried uncle and ran home. icon_e_smile.gif

Edit: Discovered a cool interaction with Fake Healing(tm) - obw cast a Fake Heal that raised his health to over 50%. On his next two yellow matches, he healed up anyway. Gave him quite a bit more padding during the match and let him exit the match comfortably healed up. I was a little concerned that the Fake Healing might cancel out his True Healing.
  • i noticed that sometimes astonishing xmen wolverine was triggering his passive when he shouldnt, it looks like it was caused when you make a move that causes 2 matches one of them yellow, but the characters tile that you moved to make the other matches hp is under 50%

I am not 100% sure on this but i did notice that i had other characters below 50% when it was wrongfully triggering.

Thanks
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    I didn't get it. Astonishing only heals himself for a small amount of hitpoints, only if he is under 50% health, on any yellow match his team makes. What's the bug again?
  • I haven't noticed anything I've been trying to do it with mine and it won't activate early I even tried using hawkeyes ability to make sure I line the yellows up right but nothing. You may just thought it was early because if your health is even just 1 hp under the 50% mark it will activate and lining up 2 sets of yellow at the same time causes it to double activate. So maybe you just experienced a high hp increase when your health was barely under the 50% mark.
  • sooo, is there a consensus? 5/5/3 or 5/3/5 or 5/4/4 ???
  • CafeMaia wrote:
    sooo, is there a consensus? 5/5/3 or 5/3/5 or 5/4/4 ???

I think that, since they nerfed his healing power, the consensus has been 5/5/3.
  • Since the true healing addition, I changed my 5/5/3 Wolvie to 3/5/5. I know it goes against the consensus, but it's worked out well for me since he tanks for Ares - just match yellow to keep Wolvie alive, then use Ares as an outlet for the AP. This works out even better when you can keep Ares below 25% health to take advantage of his superpowered red.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    UncleDrew wrote:
    Since the true healing addition, I changed my 5/5/3 Wolvie to 3/5/5. I know it goes against the consensus, but it's worked out well for me since he tanks for Ares - just match yellow to keep Wolvie alive, then use Ares as an outlet for the AP. This works out even better when you can keep Ares below 25% health to take advantage of his superpowered red.
    I would say that 3/5/5 is still a better build if you want to go 5Y. Reducing Red losses quite a punch. Green, not so much.