** Ares (Dark Avengers) **

Comments

• What build is suggested with this one? I'm leaning towards 4/4/5.
  • KevinMark wrote:
    What build is suggested with this one? I'm leaning towards 4/4/5.
    You're making a very good decision.
  • Thanks for quick reply.
  • Since I haven't seen anyone mention it, I found out today that you can actually antigrav the bugged countdown tile after Ares dies. I killed off Ares and used OBW's blue, it only healed for half of the normal amount, so that countdown tile was still looming...
  • Is it confirmed that the countdown tile is really a bug? I treat it like a revenge from the grave and find it highly climatic (that's the correct word?). Ares is God after all.
  • Emeryt wrote:
    Is it confirmed that the countdown tile is really a bug? I treat it like a revenge from the grave and find it highly climatic (that's the correct word?). Ares is God after all.
    It's definitely not what the Devs initially intended. Ares can't heal if he's dead
  • Having just got Ares to 85 I have to admit i am a little underwhelmed. He seems worse than Thor in every way. Has anyone found a good team/use for this guy??
  • Having just got Ares to 85 I have to admit i am a little underwhelmed. He seems worse than Thor in every way. Has anyone found a good team/use for this guy??

If by "worse than Thor in every way", you mean "deals twice as much damage with minimal drawbacks", yeah, I guess I agree. Last time I looked at the community rankings, he was the second best 2* on everyone's list, with Thor much lower. The main reason is because Thor's red is so bad now, while all 3 of Ares' skills are powerful.
  • Celerity wrote:
    Having just got Ares to 85 I have to admit i am a little underwhelmed. He seems worse than Thor in every way. Has anyone found a good team/use for this guy??

If by "worse than Thor in every way", you mean "deals twice as much damage with minimal drawbacks", yeah, I guess I agree. Last time I looked at the community rankings, he was the second best 2* on everyone's list, with Thor much lower. The main reason is because Thor's red is so bad now, while all 3 of Ares' skills are powerful.
    On the other hard, Thor isn't that conditional like Ares. I find them hard to compare, as since funbalance Thor is no longer just the brawler type of guy.
  • First off, community rankings could be potentially wrong/out of date. Do they rate 2 star Wolvie highly, too? Cuz he is basically unplayable now except in 2-man teams with OBW.

Yeah Ares' red is much better than Thor's, for sure. Forgot about that.

2x the damage though? Hmmm. Ares does what? 6k for 30 green with insane drawback?? While Thor does 4k for 14green with no downside. However, I do like that Ares' green is more versatile/cheaper. Thor actually does more damage per ap than Ares, unless there is only 1 enemy in which case Ares does more, with drawbacks. Damage for ap for Thor is 286/215/143 for 3/2/1 enemies while Ares is 207 across the board, with drawback.

Yellow is a toss-up. Ares' does insane damage, but you can't really use it as a finisher if you want to end the fight at full health. Thor's isn't used for damage obviously, but it feeds his own green and lends him to be of actual use on any team that spends a lot of green/doesn't have a yellow.

Also, random tidbit- Thor has 3.5x crit multiplier, while Ares has 3.

So:
    Red- Ares
    Green- Tie, but Ares edges slightly ahead due to versatility
    Yellow- Tie, but Thor edges slightly ahead due to being able to fit into more viable teams

My observations could be wrong due to not having a good team fit for Ares, though. Who knows.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 526 Critical Contributor
    First off, community rankings could be potentially wrong/out of date. Do they rate 2 star Wolvie highly, too? Cuz he is basically unplayable now except in 2-man teams with OBW.

Yeah Ares' red is much better than Thor's, for sure. Forgot about that.

2x the damage though? Hmmm. Ares does what? 6k for 30 green with insane drawback?? While Thor does 4k for 14green with no downside. However, I do like that Ares' green is more versatile/cheaper. Thor actually does more damage per ap than Ares, unless there is only 1 enemy in which case Ares does more, with drawbacks. Damage for ap for Thor is 286/215/143 for 3/2/1 enemies while Ares is 207 across the board, with drawback.

Yellow is a toss-up. Ares' does insane damage, but you can't really use it as a finisher if you want to end the fight at full health. Thor's isn't used for damage obviously, but it feeds his own green and lends him to be of actual use on any team that spends a lot of green/doesn't have a yellow.

Also, random tidbit- Thor has 3.5x crit multiplier, while Ares has 3.

So:
    Red- Ares
    Green- Tie, but Ares edges slightly ahead due to versatility
    Yellow- Tie, but Thor edges slightly ahead due to being able to fit into more viable teams

My observations could be wrong due to not having a good team fit for Ares, though. Who knows.

I definitely prefer Thor's green. Don't have to give away green AP to the opposing team, most of which have strong green damage dealers.

And I also prefer Ares yellow but it is almost always the first attack I use so I can heal when the tile counts down.

But I definitely agree with you on the post-nerf Thor with regards to the red.

And when I use Ares, it's typically with Patch & OBW.
  • Let's not forget that Thor's green + yellow are in fact much cheaper than Ares' green + yellow, mostly due to the fact, that Thor's yellow can give a lot of green AP and other colors as well, due to possible cascades. I think 9/10 times when I use yellow, I can immediately or the next turn use green.
  • Let's say we never use Ares against a team that gets mileage out of his gift of green with Onslaught and we love Sunder to pieces: What is the best build, 4/4/5 or 5/3/5?
  • Idk about you guys but I absolutely love spamming that onslaught button every 5 greens to absolutely obliterate the enemy team!! Haha so enjoyable
  • Idk about you guys but I absolutely love spamming that onslaught button every 5 greens to absolutely obliterate the enemy team!! Haha so enjoyable
    me too, unless I'm facing a levelled thor and am afraid of him calling the Modern Storm,
  • The look on your face will be priceless when you find that forty pound watermelon in your colon
    Trade toothbrushes with an albino dwarf, then give a hickey to Meryl Streep
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    gamar wrote:
    The look on your face will be priceless when you find that forty pound watermelon in your colon
    Trade toothbrushes with an albino dwarf, then give a hickey to Meryl Streep

Ha, well played. Weird Al fits in anywhere. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • mbpm1 wrote:
    Idk about you guys but I absolutely love spamming that onslaught button every 5 greens to absolutely obliterate the enemy team!! Haha so enjoyable
    me too, unless I'm facing a levelled thor and am afraid of him calling the Modern Storm,

Yeah I hate it when she shows up icon_lol.gif
  • Just hit her with sunder and onslaught the big guy. Instant death to all.

When Ares is powered up anyway. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • I've just really started using Ares lately, and now that he's buffed for the simulator, he's amazing. Isn't taking much damage because my other characters are leveled higher, so they take priority on the board, etc, and he just dishes out the hurt.