Level 20-30 Samuts (and the opponent level exploit)

shteev
shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Sure are a lot of them being played in the current event in Platinum, aren't there.

Comments

• GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Hard to get runes. **** if I'm going to grind away in TG or HE.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Bring back QB!

Not sure why we can't have both TG and QB. Take out the mythic prize for 1st place even, if that is what they are so damn afraid of (but preferably not) 
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    shteev said:
    Sure are a lot of them being played in the current event in Platinum, aren't there.

You mean after you spent months talking about how using low level walkers is the key to victory in events? 
  • shteev
    Ohboy said:
    shteev said:

You mean after you spent months talking about how using low level walkers is the key to victory in events? 
    Yes. Exactly after I did that.

This game has an exploit problem and it should be closed down.
  • Ohboy
    See why can't we agree more often on obvious issues like this. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    @shteev actually, with how the broken matchmaking works, having a low level walker in an event is killer.  My 25 Samut (I literally have no more runes) keeps getting paired against level 60 walkers because all my other ones are level 60.  That makes this event significantly harder (although since my next match is usually against a level 30 I guess I'm still "exploiting"?  Not sure how this works)
  • Ohboy
    You're not exploiting @Mburn7.

• NiftyC
    NiftyC Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    I just have to say - I'm running a level 30 Samut because that's all I had the runes for. And I researched how to achieve proper matching. And honestly tried, yet STILL accidentally wound up matching two level 60s against level 30s for one round. I can't accept the blame. 
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    While I agree the matching needs to be fixed, if you're getting your 30s matched against 60s, you're not doing it right. 
  • NiftyC
    NiftyC Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Other way round, for me - but, as I said, despite my best efforts. It's harder to avoid than it should be. 
  • shteev
    edited September 2017
    NiftyC said:
    Other way round, for me - but, as I said, despite my best efforts. It's harder to avoid than it should be. 
    //Removed Steps -Brigby
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    I find locking nodes before I play any battles works
    for me. I do all the prep of choosing a suitable
    planeswalker for all the nodes. having decided which
    deck to use for each I then lock them in. only then
    do I start my first battle and lock my opponent in as
    soon as the battle ends. it is bit of a pain.

HH
  • Ohboy
    edited September 2017
    shteev said:
    NiftyC said:
    //Removed Steps -Brigby

Well that was short lived.

Here comes the fight. Don't publicize how to do the actual exploit. 
  • Ohboy
    edited September 2017
    Oh, come off it.

The devs have been aware of this since long before Amonkhet was released. If it was something they intended to fix, they'd have fixed it by now.

Top players are using it to their advantage... low ranked players should know how it works, so they don't stumble blindly into level 60 PWs with PWs who they can't afford to level up, like some of the people in this thread already have.

Remove details of this exploit from the thread and you're only helping the toxic elite to lord it over the lower echelons. The player networks set up in such places as Slack or Discord will easily disseminate this information to all their players.

There's a difference between telling them how to avoid lvl 60 opponents when using lvl 30 walkers, and telling then how to match their lvl 60 walkers against lvl 30 opponents. You're pretending to do the former while promoting the latter.

Here's how someone hoping to achieve the former(@octal9) described the process:
    When you get a match, it bases it off the last PW you played, not the current one. It's a bug. When you enter an event that you plan on using a low level PW, follow the following:

//Removed Steps -Brigby

this bug is exploitable but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.

So get off that high horse. The anarchist approach has always been your method, but at least you used to own it.

Frankly, I consider it to be an exploit on par with playing with ludicrously overpowered cards like Rishkar's Expertise or Baral. Or, for that matter, waiting to join a later bracket in an event so you face less competition and get a higher rank and prizes.

How are you finding the second bracket, by the way?
    That's a weak jab, even from you. I jump around brackets all the time because I join when I feel like playing, and there's no way of knowing when a bracket flips. Projecting much, Mr "I will exploit the game to it's fullest"? Besides, if you'd put some thought into it you would have realised that unlike you, I do not have a "plus sized" coalition-alliance/whateveryoucallit collating data to see when a bracket flips. There's absolutely no incentive for me to wait for a second bracket when I'm jumping in blind. As a matter of fact, the only information I had on the brackets would have come from your post saying there's no second bracket. I lack your resources, and half the things you like to pretend I do to justify yourself doing it, I simply can't do even if I wanted to. 

• shteev
    Sheesh.

Now I remember why it's not worth my time and effort going into detail on things in the forums.
    Ohboy said:

There's a difference between telling them how to avoid lvl 60 opponents when using lvl 30 walkers, and telling then how to match their lvl 60 walkers against lvl 30 opponents.
    What nonsense. That's my new forum sig right there. I hope you're flattered, "Baral decks are foiled by Kambal, Authority of the consulate" was a very high bar to beat.

We should be having grown up discussions here about what is and isn't acceptable in the game, not just hoping that people don't use exploits to gain advantages over other players when clearly they are. Fascinating, isn't it, how the only people who've replied in this thread are people who have accidentally ended up in a position of exploiting the game... I'll wager that guy I played the other day who dropped a Sword of Fire and Ice and a Wurmcoil Engine on the same turn doesn't have a dearth of crystals.

Waiting and entering the second bracket might be an exploit that you didn't use on purpose, and that you consider benign, but your opinion isn't shared by everyone, and so again, we should talk about it. After all, that very same exploit can be used by players to, for example, jump into the current Samut event *without even buying Samut* in the last hour or so, and, if they're lucky, find a new bracket and win hundreds of jewels for almost no effort (There's still time, kids! 4 hours to go!)

• khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    When you wait 16+ hours to join after even the max charge limit has been crossed, for an event in the game that has the best rewards(potentially the most important event the game has going these days?) then yes, you did join hoping to get in the second bracket with lower competition for easier shot at rewards.

• Skiglass6
    Skiglass6 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    At 16 hrs you still have 8hrs before you lose a charge. 
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Today I learned that playing in the morning after waking up rather than during a work day is considered an exploit and earns me contempt.
  • shteev
    James13 said:
    Today I learned that playing in the morning after waking up rather than during a work day is considered an exploit and earns me contempt.
    No, today you learned that a behaviour you are using innocently can be exploited, and that a lot of people are doing it on purpose.
This discussion has been closed.