Vraska Confirmed

Options
wereotter
wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards

Today's spoilers for the upcoming Ixalan set show Vraska as a black/green planeswalker. Finally the two-color combos will be able to be completed here :) 

Comments

• TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If they choose to use her.
  • wereotter
    Options
    They've only skipped Tamiyo and Bolas to-date and both of them have been three-color planeswalkers. There's not really any reason not to use Vraska once Ixalan launches.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Whoa a one turn clock. 
  • Esdjco82
    Esdjco82 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options
    how broken is a g/b walker on here?

• wereotter
    Options
    Esdjco82 said:

It'll be pretty strong since you'll be able to combine cheap creature removal from black and good support removal from green with ramping that will enable you to get all that and your big creatures out easily.

In paper magic, black/green also tends to care a lot about graveyard tactics, so that might get better now that the graveyard is becoming more a thing in this game.
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Esdjco82 said:

The excitement is less how broken it would be and more that this would be the first of that combo.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Esdjco82 said:

The excitement is less how broken it would be and more that this would be the first of that combo.
    The reason we're so excited for the combo is because of how broken it'll be
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    There was a big discussion about how broken ub combination would be, and somehow I rarely see tezz2. We will see
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    i dont know if i would say rarely see tezz2, not as common as i had thought herwould be but far from chandra 2 rare
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Szamsziel said:
    There was a big discussion about how broken ub combination would be, and somehow I rarely see tezz2. We will see
    Tezz2 was MUCH more powerful in Legacy. He, g2, and arlinn probably hurt most from the move to standard. 
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    T2 went from "broken"  to "solid but unexciting"  
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The reason you don't see Tezz 2 too much is the best possible deck he can make is some variation of cycling, which is boring to play (although it wins pretty much every time).  What will make Vraska so broken is green's giant creatures and ramp and black's removal.  Even if her abilities are useless, it won't matter.  Green's only weakness is its total lack of removal, and black's is its lack of mana gain.  Together it (should) be almost unstoppable.

Blue Black is a great control combo, but both colors have similar weaknesses and strengths.  That's why Tezz 2 decks have to either combo off of his abilities (be support sacrifice themed) or just go total control (cycling or something).  Not quite as consistent, so not as frequently played
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, the only way she won't be too OP is if they restrict her deck spell slots so that you can't spam too many of those OP ramps, or go crazy with a lot of kill/support destruction/discard spells. 
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The reason you don't see UB as often as you expect is because his upper limit is severe overkill for the meta.

Especially with cycling being so much faster, who needs super stability?

You don't need to win 99.99999% of your games when there are numerous alternatives that win 99% of the games in half the time. 
  • morgue427
    Options
    tezz2 works well with the new set too i am using just this blocks cards with two older creatures hearld of anguish and baral, the cheap zombie spells cheap kill and the lethal sting and final reward, throw in manalith for a bit of gain to help with the 7 cost spells and only thing you are paying for really is supports and creatures, use him for pretty much all the blue nodes. can work with most less than 3 supports kill x creatures. goals. i like him not any defenders or gimicks but i can usually have the ai gone within 6 rounds with no damage
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Tezz2 is one of my favorites, especially in standard, because he got the most broken cycle-cards. And without cycle he has herald, padeem, second and third ability for a solid combo. And he got very solid mana to.

I don't know how strong bg will be. Depends on mana gain and abilities and of course cards from new set. Ramp only works for green, so we will see.... 
  • morgue427
    Options
    black green could be interesting and with so many high priced cards even in black would be nice to have good ramp to get them out like a b/g kiora lol