***** Daredevil (Matt Murdock) ***** Updated (1/4/19)

Comments

• IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Can anyone else comment on his effectiveness? He looks pretty mid to low tier to me, likely Surfer, possibly Cap tier, but not as bad as Star Lord. I drew 3 of his covers from the Hornhead tokens (was after Spidey and Panther) so want to be excited by him but am not really
  • fork1977
    fork1977 Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Can anyone else comment on his effectiveness? He looks pretty mid to low tier to me, likely Surfer, possibly Cap tier, but not as bad as Star Lord. I drew 3 of his covers from the Hornhead tokens (was after Spidey and Panther) so want to be excited by him but am not really
    I find Starlord more useful than several.  His purple is unique among 5*s, and his green is wonderful if you use special tiles yourself (which is the case for most 5*s and some leading 4*s) even thought it is pricey at 12.  SL is a good check against OML/PHX teams.

DD's benefit really comes into play when you work with stun, which is why whoever said to pair him with Spidey is on point.  I really hate how two abilities require him to be either hurt (yellow) or the opponent to do make a bad match (green) to work.  Plus, he doesn't counter anyone.

Like SL, he is a support 5, and in the current realm of PvP, where you only get to choose 2, he cant compete with most 5*s for damage.  That includes both surfer and cap. 
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Something else I like about 5* Daredevil's design: green is actually an update of some of the design features of his 3* version.  It incorporates aspects of 3* DD's blue and green powers.  The green countdown is "trap-like", doing good damage if the enemy sets it off, and you really want to keep it out as long as you can, like both red and blue.  Both DD red and blue have the capability to relocate themselves for continuing effect, and DD blue is the first precedent for a countdown that gives the owner AP back if they match it.  The continuing damage on the green tile is new to DD, but ties in to the design of Elektra's red.

I haven't played with him yet (my one green cover will take a while to get a decent number of siblings), so I can't speak to his actual effectiveness, but as far as new ideas, internal synergy, and consistency to his previous game iteration, this is a very good design concept.

And yeah, that combo with Spidey blue and green, Daredevil's passive bonus attack, and some strike tiles?  That's gonna be a pretty great trick.  Doc Ock is a lackluster design (interesting ideas but poor execution), but he brings another stun power and strike generation to the table.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dayv said:

5* Star-Lord... exists.  And his purple skill is... definitely something you might use if you accidentally get some purple AP.  His biggest selling point is that his high match damage and Guardians affiliation go great with 4* Rocket and Groot, and that's a pretty edge case way to define a character's value.
    I thought his biggest selling point was 2000 ISO8.

This is not the part where I say, "I kid, I kid."
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,488 Chairperson of the Boards

Something else I've noticed about Daredevil - his Stun is off-color.  That is to say the vast majority of stunning powers are on blue.  Daredevil's is on purple.  That's pretty good - it means that he will make a natural companion toward characters who stun their opponents a lot.

I strongly suspect he has a place, and Rhycar makes some really good points.  I've got none of him myself (didn't draw any from my two "Hornhead" tokens,) but that will change sooner or later, I'm sure.

• vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    I think after reading that tremendous post, hundreds of MPQ hoarders breathed a sigh of relief for their October pull-fest.
  • Gari
    Gari Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Anyone has the final numbers? Been 3 bloody weeks
  • moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    This is for Lvl 451:

Fighting Spirit 
    (Passive) yellowtilepng
    • (Level 3) At the start of the turn, if Daredevil is below 40% health, he creates a strength 486 Yellow Strike tile, then restores 770 health for each friendly Strike tile on the board
    • (Level 4) At the start of the turn, if Daredevil is below 40% health, he creates a strength 617 Yellow Strike tile, then restores 770 health for each friendly Strike tile on the board
    • (Level 5) At the start of the turn, if Daredevil is below 50% health, he creates a strength 723 Yellow Strike tile, then restores 1173 health for each friendly Strike tile on the board
    Hand-to-Hand - 11 greentilepng AP
    • (Level 3) Create a 5-turn Green Countdown tile that deals 1659 damage at the end of each turn. If you match it, recovers 6 Green AP. If otherwise matched or destroyed, deals 10074 damage.
    • (Level 4) Create a 5-turn Green Countdown tile that deals 2014 damage at the end of each turn. If you match it, recovers 6 Green AP. If otherwise matched or destroyed, deals 11141 damage
    • (Level 5) Create a 5-turn Green Countdown tile that deals 2014 damage at the end of each turn. If you match it, recovers 8 Green AP. If otherwise matched or destroyed, deals 15645 damage
    Sonar Strike - 9 purpletilepng AP
    • (Level 3) Stuns the target for 1 turn. Converts 3 random enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles to friendly Strike tiles. (PASSIVE) When a Stunned enemy is damaged, Daredevil deals 1186 damage to that enemy.
    • (Level 4) Stuns the target for 2 turn(s). Converts 3 random enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles to friendly Strike tiles. (PASSIVE) When a Stunned enemy is damaged, Daredevil deals 1186 damage to that enemy.
    • (Level 5) Stuns the target for 2 turn(s). Converts 4 random enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles to friendly Strike tiles. (PASSIVE) When a Stunned enemy is damaged, Daredevil deals 1850 damage to that enemy.
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Cactus_Jack_87 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    I just champed him last week, and DD has FAR surpassed my already high expectations. Rhycar is definitely right, going in with as little health as possible is the ideal strategy. Once he gets a few strikes out and manages a cascade against a stunned opponent, the damage is staggering. I've been taking down stunned Thanoses from max health with a single move, because his passive triggers each time any damage is done. This includes post-turn CD tiles that do damage, and his passive stacks with his strike tiles. I'm going to have to make another video soon, this time showing off just how good Murdock can be under the right circumstances.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

My own DD only has a single green cover, but I have learned to fear him as a PvP opponent. He's a bit like the old version of OML: If you don't down him fast he will soon heal faster than you can damage him. I definitely want one of my own and will do my darndest to get 300 pulls in the hoard Before he leaves the Latest Legends pool...

• Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor

Yeah, I champed him on Friday as my first 5*.

I think he's pretty much the best option as a sole 5* champ since he's just so darn survivable. Even taking on other 5* champs in PvP, he never needed a single health pack, soaking up damage in the thousands each match.

His green being mediocre doesn't really hurt as well, after all it's not that hard to pair him with someone who can put that green AP to good use :)

• vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    I haven't maxed my DD but it was amazing to see all the Sonar double tapping when he's paired with gamora. When he was boosted in the last pve, it felt like a waste to use the stun on any one enemy because nobody would last gamoras entire 3 turn stun. Match + sonar + green + sonar + random attack tile + sonar and then you add any strike tile on top of all that. And you can even have gamoras red on the other guy who got stunned for a turn and they'll get sonar'd too. 
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    The damage DD can do to a stunned enemy is amazing. I've downed a full health (70k+) Thanos in one turn. Though it kinda makes that extra turn of stun from his purple feel like a waste..... :D
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017

The Hulk (11/23/17) *New Update*
    Featured Characters
    5-Star: Daredevil (Matt Murdock)

*starts salivating*

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now that I'm getting a 14th cover for my Thanos with the 4* champ reward changes I'll probably end up champing Thanos and DD (my only other 13 covered) very soon.  Early indication seems to be that they could be a good pairing.  Court Death will get DD's health low and his regen should keep him low while Court Death keeps him from getting to high.  Might be a great 3rd to Panthos, at least as someone not in 5* meta can tell.  Thoughts?
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Now that I'm getting a 14th cover for my Thanos with the 4* champ reward changes I'll probably end up champing Thanos and DD (my only other 13 covered) very soon.  Early indication seems to be that they could be a good pairing.  Court Death will get DD's health low and his regen should keep him low while Court Death keeps him from getting to high.  Might be a great 3rd to Panthos, at least as someone not in 5* meta can tell.  Thoughts?
    DD does indeed pair nicely with Thanos. I don't have Panther, but I don't see how those wouldn't work great as a sim team.
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Cactus_Jack_87 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Welp, Thor just hit the vaults and I just blew my hoard. 213 pulls later, and my DD went from a lvl 450 to a 469; my highest leveled character. Now I'm REALLY looking forward to trying him out when he's boosted! :)
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I pulled 7 when Thor came out, got a Thor, but also got a 14th DD.  So I'm champing DD, then Thanos and that will be most of the month right there.