General Chat?

Options
THEMAGICkMAN
THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
edited August 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
So, I came back to the game recently, and I noticed that several of my friends have moved to other teams and are no longer around to chat with. I remember the alliance from late 2016 where everyone was welcome and it was a really friendly atmosphere. And while the community is still really nice and friendly it's pretty split up. I thought it might be nice to have a new general chat where you can leave the competition and drama behind and just chill with others who enjoy the game as much as you. However I understand that some may have other opinions, so I thought I'd put it to a vote. 

Would you like to see a new general, friendly, welcoming and open chat where everyone is welcome and you can leave drama and competition behind? If so, which platform, Discord or Slack? 
(I personally prefer Discord, far more options and a lot easier to use) 

General Chat? 25 votes

Yes! On Discord
60%
bk1234shteevTheZorchGrizzoMtGPQStormcrowTHEMAGICkMANErikInVegas_Daromax_UweTellkampfKlickDropspotElfNeedsFoodThuranRoco32373DiaX 15 votes
Yes! On Slack
8%
nerdstrapWaschecht 2 votes
No! (Please state reason)
16%
Mainloop25Corn_NoodlesFurordracoSarahschmara 4 votes
No Opinion
16%
majincobDodecapodCiotogFirinmahlazer 4 votes

Comments

• majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No Opinion
    People are still welcome to chat in the Alliance slack's public rooms. We expect a minimum of good behavior, but I've rarely had problems with that. If you need an invite just send me a PM or ask anyone else already there to get you an invite.

There are several other large groups that are welcoming to everyone as well.

I chose the neutral option since I don't think you'd get large scale adoption of yet another meta group chat but I'm not opposed to the idea.
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    We already have this. Anyone who is kind and helpful is welcome to visit Team Tiger slack and chat with us and the Alliance and Phoenix Family slacks are similar.

As you well know, there are some individuals that harrass other players and we feel it's best if those who seek drama keep to themselves on discord. 
  • Sarahschmara
    Options
    majincob said:
    ...but I've rarely had problems with that. 
    I think it's probably more accurate to say "I haven't had problems with that recently."
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This already exists? 
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes! On Discord
    I think the more communities, the merrier -- Discord is better for this because there isnt a photo upload maximum -- good effort @THEMAGICkMAN :)
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yes! On Discord
    Either platform is fine. The content of it all depends on the moderation of it. There is a lot of history between certain people in the various forums and that has nothing to do with Slack vs Discord. 
  • Dodecapod
    Dodecapod Posts: 96 Match Maker
    edited August 2017
    Options
    No Opinion
    I voted based on what seemed like the closest thing to "other", but my real answer would be "yes, on any and all chat apps (Line, Whatsapp, and Kakao would be merely a few other possibilities in principle) open for consideration".

While on a larger scale I understand that there were some significant, irreconcilable differences among various groups in the original Slack general channel, and everyone ultimately had to go their separate ways and make the decisions they thought best in order to continue enjoying the game and maintaining the subcommunities they valued most, personally I was always sad to see the community dissipate from one massive aggregation of players into a few large subfactions, since I loved the idea of being able to share a passion for this game with hundreds of other people all in one location, and the reality of having a spontaneous out-of-game channel that was almost never devoid of conversation for more than a few minutes at a time.

By now, most seem to have moved past the worst of the schism from several months ago, but I'm not sure that's true to such an extent that reestablishing a massive central channel where everyone on all sides wanted to congregate together, as opposed to could congregate together, would be possible at this stage (especially since the latter type of channel already exists on both apps, and probably in multiple servers within each app).

With all of that said, I'm always in favor of expanding the inclusiveness of the community in this game whenever possible, so if there's a novel way to do that on a broader scale while effectively mitigating personal attacks, harassment, and divisive drama in the face of all of the inevitable disagreements that are bound to arise from time to time within such a large group, then I'd tend to support any efforts to that effect, regardless of which platform(s) were used.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    Options
    Yes! On Discord
    This already exists? 
    Mmm not quite the way I was thinking of it, perhaps I should've outlined my plan for a general chat in the OP. 

A completely neutral and casual channel, not tied to any specific team. While yes a lot of coalitions slack and/or discord channels are welcoming and friendly it can often feel daunting to someone from another team to join there. I think that having a properly moderated and built general discord for the game could very potentially be extremely beneficial. It's an incredible tool for newer players to be able to join a discord server and ask whatever questions they have. I can understand all your opinions, but I still think a general chat could be great. 

I'll be making the decision on whether to make a chat, and if so on which platform sometime next weekend :)
  • UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yes! On Discord
    Let's just do it then. I voted discord since I don't use slack and am not fond installing yet another communication app, but in the end I'll probably join anywhere. Drama, whatever it was, should not hinder us, a bit drama is good for popcorn salesmen. And those who don't like the idea, don't need to participate. 
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    Options
    Yes! On Discord

I'll be making the decision on whether to make a chat, and if so on which platform sometime next weekend :)
    Edit: I had a bunch of spare time today so a general MTGPQ Discord channel will be up and running very soon. 

Let's just do it then. I voted discord since I don't use slack and am not fond installing yet another communication app, but in the end I'll probably join anywhere. Drama, whatever it was, should not hinder us, a bit drama is good for popcorn salesmen. And those who don't like the idea, don't need to participate. 

110% agree
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yes! On Discord
    Thanks everyone for voting and sharing your opinions! The discord server is now live! Tell your friends in your coalition, all are welcome! 

https://discord.gg/Sq6HSBR

(if you're having problems with the link please @ me or DM me) 
  • bk1234
    Options
    Yes! On Discord
    Just bumping to get this party started! 
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 545 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Okay. I'll give this a shot. Not really my kinda thing but maybe it won't be so bad. 
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think we'd be better served with a forum system on mtgpq.info that is outside the control of D3.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes! On Discord
    Red 5 standing by
  • Furordraco
    Furordraco Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Options
    no because Teamspeak is better :wink:
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    Options
  • bk1234
    Options
    Yes! On Discord
    This shouldn't have made me laugh out loud. 
  • Sarahschmara
    Options
    I will change my answer from "no." I've joined the chat and had several interesting conversations without the antisocial behavior I feared. It's been nice having respectful discussions of differing viewpoints. 
  • AresOmega
    AresOmega Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Options
    Plus, we have beer!