Buy covers or tokens?

Options
NotBAMF
NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker

So I'm in the 3-to-4 transition phase. Right now, I have 2 champion'ed 4* characters (Carol and Medusa), and a slew of 4* characters at 11-12 covers (Agent Venom, Blade, Rocket & Groot, Riri, Gamora, Mordo... and Coulson will be at 12 by the time I get the 3 covers from Galactus).

Because I wanted Bobbi Morse covers, I saved up my CP for most of the Mind Gem season, and I am currently sitting at 730 CP and 700k ISO.

So with the Space Gem season about to start, my question becomes:

1) Should I use 720 CP to buy 6 covers and champ some combination of the 3 aforementioned characters?

or

2) Should I try my luck on tokens (in addition to the 720 CP, I have 7 LL tokens, so that's, what, 43 pulls)?

From my understanding, conventional wisdom is to go tokens because 120 is so pricey for a single cover. But I'm also looking at 3 guaranteed new champs vs who-knows-what I'll pull from the packs.

Also, I saved up my tokens all this time in hopes of pulling some Mockingbird, and now I'd just be throwing that away if I just went the direct champing route, heh.

So help me out, wiser players! What's my best strategy?

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My personal policy is to spend the CP on a 13th cover if it is a top-tier character, because it'll help me a lot more than 6 covers (potentially) for a character I won't use anywhere near as much. I did it in the 3-star tier and I've done it in the 4-star tier; I have no regrets. Of the characters you mentioned being at 12 covers I think Riri is definitely worth 120 CP and possibly R&G and Gamora as well (I don't know, I haven't used them much).

After all - it's just CP. You'll make more. Get yourself some champs and enjoy them.
  • NotBAMF
    Options

Now that Yondu and Mockingbird are in the LL packs, I'm thinking of opening my existing tokens to see if that informs my decision, depending what I pull.

Just pondering whether I should wait until I get the Coulson covers before I do.

And also, I don't have any of those characters at 12; they are all 11. My close ones are:

Agent Venom (5/2/5)

Blade (5/1/5)

Riri (5/3/3)

R&G (5/4/2)

Gamora (4/3/3)

Mordo (4/3/3)

Coulson (3/2/4... will be 4/3/5)

So my thinking was that with 720 CP, I could do, say, Venom, Coulson, and two others. Or any of the other 3 (Blade, Riri, and R&G, for instance) at 240 each.

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It all comes down to how lucky you think you are.  I choose to go with quantity and usually pull tokens but then again, I have a lot of older 4* and champs that I can use those covers on under this new system. I have only once bought a 4* cover (with CP...used to do it with HP back in the day) and that was because I had 4 covers sitting in my queue for that character.   It's all in the RNG.  Overall I have done fairly well pulling tokens but yeah there have been a few times I wished I just bought that last cover.  My bane covers right now are Agent Venom Red, Mordo Blue and Iron Fist Blue as I have sold all of those multiple times.  Depending on the character and cover, I will many times use my 3* bonus hero to attempt to get that last cover if feasible or the heroes for hire store but then again I play the long game view as I am not in a rush to champ 4* since there isn't enough iso to do so anyway in the short term.  Agent Venom and Blade are your biggest problem since you already have 5 covers for two of their powers.  If you want to hedge, spend the CP on those two and then pull tokens for the rest of your remaining CP?  I mean Carol, Medusa, Blade is a pretty good team for both PvE and PvP.
  • NotBAMF
    Options
    I ended up going the Pay For Tokens route and HOLY HELL did I goof. That was a huge mistake.

For one thing, I had 44 tokens that I opened and did not get a SINGLE BONUS HERO (and as you read through, you'll see why that especially stunk).

But here were my results:

1) LL token: Gwenpool purple (took me to 4-1-4) 
    2) LL token Agent Coulson blue (2-3-5+1) - Already I should have seen how the worm was turning, as it gave me a cover I couldn't use. But I decided to press on with at least my actual stocked LL tokens
    3) LL token Yondu yellow (2-1-1)
    4) LL token Jane Thor blue (0-2-2)
    5) LL token Vulture black (1-1-2)
    6) LL token Agent Coulson yellow (4-2-5+1) - Okay! I thought things were going to get better! This puts me in a spot where, after my alliance gets the last two Coulson covers in Galactus, I'll be 5-3-5 with a level token to use. not bad! But things would go down hill...
    7) LL token Jane Thor blue (0-0-3) - Uh, she's not a 3x odds, right?

So the rest of the way, except once, were all 20CP classic legend packs:

8) Vulture green (1-2-2)
    9) Riri blue (5+1 -3-3) - Oof! But at least it happened early! I could call off the hunt when I got to 240CP if nothing changed and just pay to champ her)
    10) Dr. Strange blue (2-0-0) - I'll be honest... I wasn't looking for 5*'s here, so this was meh. And it's a good thing I wasn't, because I wouldn't see another (of these 1:7 odds 5* characters) until my 42nd pull!
    11) Cloak & Dagger purple (1-4-4)
    12) Gamora blue (4-4-4) - YES! Ideal set up at 12. Now I just put her as my only Bonus Hero and play the waiting game... and LOSE the waiting game because RNG is the devil
    13) Vulture blue (1-2-3)
    14) Iron Fist black (2-0-3)
    15) Riri green (5+1 -3-4) - Okay, that's good!
    16) Medusa purple (Level 273 champion)
    17) Moon Knight purple (First MK cover... Thanks, Unvaulting :neutral:)
    18) Cloak & Dagger black (1-5-4)
    19) Vulture black (2-2-3) - Wow, I keep getting this guy
    20) Ant-Man blue (0-1-3)
    21) Cloak & Dagger purple (1-5-5) - Uh-oh
    22) Prof X yellow (1-0-1)
    23) Spider-Woman purple (3-4-1)
    24) Gwenpool purple (5-1-4) 
    25) Spider-Gwen (First cover... I DON'T NEED THESE, RNG!)
    26) Mordo black (5-4-3) - Finally. One more on him except black. Should be easy, right?
    27) Riri red (5+1 -4-4) - Honestly, the best thing that happened this whole pull. I immediately go champion her.
    28) LL token (From Riri) Vulture black (3-2-3)
    29) Mockingbird purple (1-1-3)
    30) Jane Thor red (1-0-3) - What the actual hell with Jane Thor here?
    31) Ghost Rider green (2-0-1)
    32) Mockingbird purple (1-1-5) - COME ON. Spread these colors out a bit.
    33) Rocket & Groot green (5-4-3)
    34) War Machine blue (First cover)
    35) Sam Wilson Cap blue (First cover!)
    36) Winter Soldier purple (FIRST COVER ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME, UNVAULTING?!)
    37) Cloak & Dagger black (1- 5+1 - 5) - This is what I get for complaining about first covers! Too late to do anything about it here, so I press onward.
    38) Deadpool (2-0-1)
    39) Yondu blue (2-1-2)
    40) Spider-Woman purple (3-5-1)
    41) Spider-Gwen red - So now I have two covers of her I haven't opened. Terrific
    42) Dr. Strange blue (3-0-0)
    43) Black Bolt green (First cover, and honestly, what-the-hell-ever at this point)
    44) Last one. I cross every finger I have for something good. Any Gamora cover. Any non-black Mordo cover. Anything else, as long as I get a bonus hero. But no. Elektra black (First cover)

So... thoughts: I freaking hate unvaulting, that's for damn sure. I didn't really have big feelings about it before, but I sure do now. So many wasted pulls on characters I did not have before. I've got, like, 10 4* characters sitting in my queue now.

Also... 44 pulls with no bonus hero. That's absolute garbage. 1:20, my butt. 
  • NotBAMF
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I ended up going the Pay For Tokens route and HOLY HELL did I goof. That was a huge mistake.

For one thing, I had 44 tokens that I opened and did not get a SINGLE BONUS HERO (and as you read through, you'll see why that especially stunk).

But here were my results:

1) LL token: Gwenpool purple (took me to 4-1-4) 
    2) LL token Agent Coulson blue (2-3-5+1) - Already I should have seen how the worm was turning, as it gave me a cover I couldn't use. But I decided to press on with at least my actual stocked LL tokens
    3) LL token Yondu yellow (2-1-1)
    4) LL token Jane Thor blue (0-0-2)
    5) LL token Vulture black (1-1-2)
    6) LL token Agent Coulson yellow (4-2-5+1) - Okay! I thought things were going to get better! This puts me in a spot where, after my alliance gets the last two Coulson covers in Galactus, I'll be 5-3-5 with a level token to use. not bad! But things would go down hill...
    7) LL token Jane Thor blue (0-0-3) - Uh, she's not a 3x odds, right?

So the rest of the way, except once, were all 20CP classic legend packs:

8) Vulture green (1-2-2)
    9) Riri blue (5+1 -3-3) - Oof! But at least it happened early! I could call off the hunt when I got to 240CP if nothing changed and just pay to champ her)
    10) Dr. Strange blue (2-0-0) - I'll be honest... I wasn't looking for 5*'s here, so this was meh. And it's a good thing I wasn't, because I wouldn't see another (of these 1:7 odds 5* characters) until my 42nd pull!
    11) Cloak & Dagger purple (1-4-4)
    12) Gamora blue (4-4-4) - YES! Ideal set up at 12. Now I just put her as my only Bonus Hero and play the waiting game... and LOSE the waiting game because RNG is the devil
    13) Vulture blue (1-2-3)
    14) Iron Fist black (2-0-3)
    15) Riri green (5+1 -3-4) - Okay, that's good!
    16) Medusa purple (Level 273 champion)
    17) Moon Knight purple (First MK cover... Thanks, Unvaulting :neutral:)
    18) Cloak & Dagger black (1-5-4)
    19) Vulture black (2-2-3) - Wow, I keep getting this guy
    20) Ant-Man blue (0-1-3)
    21) Cloak & Dagger purple (1-5-5) - Uh-oh
    22) Prof X yellow (1-0-1)
    23) Spider-Woman purple (3-4-1)
    24) Gwenpool purple (5-1-4) 
    25) Spider-Gwen (First cover... I DON'T NEED THESE, RNG!)
    26) Mordo black (5-4-3) - Finally. One more on him except black. Should be easy, right?
    27) Riri red (5+1 -4-4) - Honestly, the best thing that happened this whole pull. I immediately go champion her.
    28) LL token (From Riri) Vulture black (3-2-3)
    29) Mockingbird purple (1-1-3)
    30) Jane Thor red (1-0-3) - What the actual hell with Jane Thor here?
    31) Ghost Rider green (2-0-1)
    32) Mockingbird purple (1-1-5) - COME ON. Spread these colors out a bit.
    33) Rocket & Groot green (5-4-3)
    34) War Machine blue (First cover)
    35) Sam Wilson Cap blue (First cover!)
    36) Winter Soldier purple (FIRST COVER ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME, UNVAULTING?!)
    37) Cloak & Dagger black (1- 5+1 - 5) - This is what I get for complaining about first covers! Too late to do anything about it here, so I press onward.
    38) Deadpool (2-0-1)
    39) Yondu blue (2-1-2)
    40) Spider-Woman purple (3-5-1)
    41) Spider-Gwen red - So now I have two covers of her I haven't opened. Terrific
    42) Dr. Strange blue (3-0-0)
    43) Black Bolt green (First cover, and honestly, what-the-hell-ever at this point)
    44) Last one. I cross every finger I have for something good. Any Gamora cover. Any non-black Mordo cover. Anything else, as long as I get a bonus hero. But no. Elektra black (First cover)

So... thoughts: I freaking hate unvaulting, that's for damn sure. I didn't really have big feelings about it before, but I sure do now. So many wasted pulls on characters I did not have before. I've got, like, 10 4* characters sitting in my queue now.

Also... 44 pulls with no bonus hero. That's absolute garbage. 1:20, my butt. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    At least you got a champion Riri out of it.