How would AI play this?

GuiPerdigaoGuiPerdigao Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
Hello Everyone

Let's say you are playing a team with 3* Black Panther, 3* Iron Fist and some random other hero. Right now you have enough AP and is ready to fire:

-Battle Plan (Yellow BP)
-Rage of the Panther (Black BP)
-Shou-Lao Fang Strike (Green IF)
-Iron Fist of K'un-Lun (purple IF)

If you want to do the most damage (most of times) the best order would be:
-Battle Plan>Shou-Lao Fang Strike>Iron Fist of K'un-Lun>Rage of the Panther
Now if you mess the order the result of output damage would be drasticaly different.

In this kind of scenario, what would AI do? 
Would AI aim for best damage done?
Would AI fire the powers in random order?
Does the order I placed the heros would have something to do with this?
Or AI would fire everything whenever it would have enough AP and all this wouldn't ever matter?

This kind of thing keeps me awake at night

Comments

• SkrofaSkrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Normally the AI fires a power as soon as it has enough AP to do so. 
    If after a massive cascade of sorts the AI gets enough AP to fire more than 1 powers it will do so according to how the colours are lined up in the characters' description. Namely:
    Yellow
    Red
    Blue
    Purple
    Green
    Black
    Team Up
  • JaedenkaalJaedenkaal Posts: 3,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Skrofa said:
    Normally the AI fires a power as soon as it has enough AP to do so. 
    If after a massive cascade of sorts the AI gets enough AP to fire more than 1 powers it will do so according to how the colours are lined up in the characters' description. Namely:
    Yellow
    Red
    Blue
    Purple
    Green
    Black
    Team Up
    Almost. It's green, then purple. Which is the way they're lined up on Steam, apparently. (Good thing too, otherwise we'd all be eating same-turn Gamma Syphon->Hammer & Anvil combos)

So, to answer the OP's question, if you somehow ended up with enough AP to fire them all in the same turn, the AI would indeed fire 

Battle Plan
    Shou-Lao Fang Strike
    Iron Fist of K'un Lun
    Rage of the Panther

HOWEVER, this also assumes that the team had no other powers in those colors. If it did, the AI might select one of them randomly instead, if it had enough AP to fire them. So if you also had Luke Cage, for example, the sequence might look like:

Yellow: Nothing (saving for Righteous Uppercut)
    (No active Red powers)
    Blue: Nothing (saving for Defense Grid)
    Green: Shou-Lao Fang Strike
    Purple: Iron Fist of K'un Lun
    Black: Jab, Jab, Cross

Also, note that the AI will only ever fire one power of each color each turn. So even if it had 12 AP, it will never use Jab, Jab, Cross twice in the same turn.

What is still unclear (to me) is how the AI picks which power to (attempt to) fire when there is more than one. I can only assume there's some bias towards higher-AP powers, otherwise you'd almost never see the AI fire the more expensive power in a color with more than one. (Or maybe that's what actually happens, and I've just never noticed)

The other thing to keep in mind is that you as the player might also switch targets in between damage powers in order to maximize the damage done, and minimize over-kill. You'd probably use Iron Fist on the highest-health target first, (which probably isn't your current target), then fire Rage of the Panther. The AI doesn't do this; it will simply fire the power at whoever you left in front. So you can 'bait' the AI into using this combo on someone with only a few hundred health, practically "wasting" the Iron Fist, and also taking 1/3 less damage from the Rage.