Keep 5*s or make roster space?

heybub
heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
Hi,

I am a 4star transitioner with 4 champed (Peggy, Nova, Medusa, WXF).  I have most 3*s, and ~50% of the 2 stars farmed.  I also have a lot of 5*s on my roster, most have 1-3 covers and are essentially useless at this point.

So the big question is: Should I keep all these 5*'s, or make room for other characters?

I've kept all the 5*'s because they are rare, and overall I'd hate to lose even one cover.  But in the grand scheme of things, I really don't use most of them, and they are taking up roster space for my 2* farm and additional 3*/4*s.  

Some 5*'s I really like and use (Thanos/BP/GG/SS/PHX/BB/OML), but others are just wasting space: Steve Rodgers (2 covers), DocOc (2 covers), SM-BIB (2 covers), IM (1 cover), SMPP (1 cover), SL (1 cover).  

Who, if any, should I trash?  And then what to do with that roster space?  I'm leaning on building up the 2* farm.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    As far along as you are, and already farming 2-stars, you should earn enough HP to cover roster slots. I wouldn't sell any 5-stars. The day will come when they are more viable to attain and fully cover and you'd regret selling them.

Patience, my friend. MPQ is a marathon, not a sprint. Play the long game.
  • SkadenFrudee
    SkadenFrudee Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    I just dropped 5* Hulk (2 black), BiB Spidey (1g) and 5* Starlord (1y) to roster Kingpin, X-23 and War Machine. While i just champed my 4th 4*, I dont have them all rostered. I have the 2 and 3 star tiers fully champed, 2s cycling.

I figure the 4s are more useful at 1-2 covers than the 5s are. They both collect dust, but Behemoth Burrito makes having all 4s quite valuable.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Never sell 5s.

4s are a dime a dozen, but you'll kick yourself once you start getting more covers on your 5s for every sold 5* cover.
  • heybub
    Thanks for the input.  So it sounds like I shouldn't sell any 5*s.  What about 3* and 4*?  I'm really thinking that extending my 2* farm will be very beneficial, in particular to generate HP.  Currently I seem to be getting enough HP to roster a new 4* or 5* as they come out, but not enough to grow my slots to include older 2/3/4s.

I have several 3*s that I only use for DDQ and as featured PVE events.  Would missing out on 3-4 of those slots be worth it to roster more 2*s?

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    heybub said:
    So it sounds like I shouldn't sell any 5*s.  What about 3* and 4*?
    Really, all characters have value above the 1-star tier, and you even need to hang on to 1-3 of those for DDQ.

2, 3, and 4-stars will all be essential in some kind of event node at some point, either in PvP or PvE (often both)  and they all offer champ rewards, so the common advice you'll hear is: roster as many as you can, preferably all of them. Then work on champing them all. Even Bagman, Howard the Duck, and Devil Dino - but those three are required the least (once or twice a year)
  • SkadenFrudee
    SkadenFrudee Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Bowgentle said:
    Never sell 5s.

4s are a dime a dozen, but you'll kick yourself once you start getting more covers on your 5s for every sold 5* cover.
    I pulled a 5* Banner blue today. Im not kicking myself, but your point is made. I sold a few 4s to complete the 3* tier, im ok selling a few 5s to complete the 4*.

I agree those 5s are precious. I'm just not sure worrying about them before rostering the entirety of the previous two tiers makes alot of sense.
  • heybub
    Dormammu said:
    heybub said:
    So it sounds like I shouldn't sell any 5*s.  What about 3* and 4*?
    Really, all characters have value above the 1-star tier, and you even need to hang on to 1-3 of those for DDQ.

2, 3, and 4-stars will all be essential in some kind of event node at some point, either in PvP or PvE (often both)  and they all offer champ rewards, so the common advice you'll hear is: roster as many as you can, preferably all of them. Then work on champing them all. Even Bagman, Howard the Duck, and Devil Dino - but those three are required the least (once or twice a year)
    I agree with you, I would like to roster all covers, if possible.  The question is, what is more valuable right now?  A better/full 2* farm, or having a few extra 4*/3* for DDQ or PVE events?  Even for the latter, I don't need fully covered characters, just 1 will do.

My Feeling is the 2* farm will help with HP points and help me to create roster slots faster than new characters are released/obtained.  Do you think this is the case?
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now that I've really got my 2* farm up and running, I'm getting the HP for a couple of new roster slots each week. I did have to ditch a few people at various points to keep that going, but I feel like it's been worth it.
  • cgrubb80
    cgrubb80 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2017
    I have wondered the same question.  I have to dump someone for a 5* doc oc.  I was thinking of 2* Johnny storm.  My user name is Quickshot80 if someone wants to give more advise.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't even sell fives that I get a sixth cover for, just reroster them. 

Great LR and easy node fodder.
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    For your roster, keep the 5*s.  But never level them ever until you're well into the 4* level.

Based on what I've read and heard, I'm not sure if people should ever make the 5* transition.  It sounds very unfun.