Should I go ahead and get my first 5* champ?

Options
rocks52
rocks52 Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
edited August 2017 in Roster and Level Help
I am solidly a 4* player and have most 5* characters with 6+ covers.  Lately I have been on a roll with First Avenger covers, I'd say something like 6 covers in the last month (I'd estimate 40 LT pulls in that time, and one of those 6 having been a BH), even had to sell one last week and have one in queue expiring in 2 days time.  I just got his third "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" to get him to 13 covers.  Especially with MPQ's move to CL based PVE scaling, should I go ahead and champ FA?  I have the Iso to do so, but it would nearly deplete my supply.  

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Depends on how much PvP you do. This is just a guess, but if you champ a 5-star you're going to start seeing more champed 5-star teams. I've read a lot of advice from players here that say wait until you have three viable 5-stars and do them all at once.
  • rocks52
    Options
    I do way more PVE than PVP. I don't really do either for placement but definitely hit all progression rewards in PVE. PVP, I usually go somewhere between 575-650. If I wanna push I'll go for the 3* progression, and many times it's easy enough to maintain top 50 there. 
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    5Cap is good, given the PvE changes he's going to be an asset. He will impact your PvP, although PvP with one 5* is some of the most fun I've had in the game.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can give you an instant feedback as somebody who has just done it.

I have championed 5* Strange as my only leveled 5* (next in line is 315 OML but I have about 40 championed 4* so every event I have at lease 3-4 lvl 370 toons to choose from). 

I absolutely love the change in PvE. I can clear scl 7 in about 30 minutes (used to be around 1 hour - 1 hour 15 minutes... i guess in the new scaling it would be 45-50 minutes with just 4* champions). I am trying to figure out best way to use him. So far I was leaning to 3* Thanos to get that extra AOE damage but it can become pretty stale after couple of events. I might switch back to good 4* combos to add to him. I will also try Scl8 for the next 3 day/non release event to see how it works (i can do 5 more minutes for slightly better rewards). 

I guess Stange is top of the pops in PvE (not Thanos level but close when there is a goon in the fight). But Cap would bring a lot as well due to sheer power of match damage.

The PvP is a different animal. I used to be matched against unleveled 5*, some championed 4* and some non-championed 4*. Now I am matched against teams that feature at least one leveled/championed 5*. Since Strange is not that good in PvP himself I find the matches are harder and take more health packs. Also guys like Black Pather and occasionally Black Widow can be a real killer for a team that features 3* and Strange. I try to avoid them (with auto-skip of Hawkeye-Coulson teams as well). Thanos, OML, Phoenix - they are not a problem at all. I was using Medusa with Strange to get the opponents down quicker (plus she can sometimes fuel his blue).

After initial shock (lost 3 in a row) i managed to settle at 820 points in Yondu event. 900 was an option but I didn't push hard enough for it. The main problem - I can be easily beaten so the floating points is much lower than before the change (i used to float around 600 points with boosted 4*, not I get hit a lot around 300-400 so I might need to spend more on shields). It was one event so let's see what happens when I have championed 3* there, not loaner.

It was slightly different in Simulator. In 2 days of playing I've got to 1400. And I was hit maybe once. Championed Strange-Medusa-Carol must be a strong deterent as the the PvP Simulator matchmaking was much more generous to me than Yondu event (mainly 4*, some championed, some not and underleveled 5*). Getting to 2k might be more tricky than before but still doable if I spend couple more days on it.

A review after a couple of PvE and one PvP event - I don't regret the change. I am still fine tuning the experience but so far it's good. I save a lot of time on PvE and I can get my goals in PvP (575-650 is my main goal with occasional push for 900). 

• rocks52
    Options
    @Magic, I've had much the same experience that you described.  For PVE, Cap has been an absolute champ.  I normally go after his Earth's Mightiest Heroes (Yellow) both because it is his strongest color and it improves damage done by his Blue power.  It also drops strong (for what I need) shields and attacks which always go a long way for me.  I definitely want more Yellow for 5trange so I can use him on these goon nodes.  Right now I use Thano3 for the quick win, but obviously I would prefer 5trange because he heals his allies instead of hurts them.  

I haven't noticed a problem with PVP.  Usually I have to fight 1 champed 5 plus either another 5 around level 370-400 or a boosted 4.  Those are mostly tolerable as long as I can cast Heroes (and don't have bad tile luck).  My points goal is similar to yours so that's staying the same.  The only unfortunate thing I've noticed is the last 4-5 PVP have been characters I either don't like so have minimally covered, or are brand new (Yondu).  Thanks to Heroes dropping several special tiles, I can use the likes of C4rol and Wasp to boost them like crazy.  That is making these Simulator matches a lot more enjoyable.  I mostly avoid when I see a champed Thano5 because that bastard has a ton of health and should I catch a bad break and lose an ally, Thano5 will likely clobber me.  All in all, thanks to the change in enemy PVE leveling, I'm loving having champed a 5
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I haven't checked the date so I didn't realize you've already done it. I am glad to hear that we share the experience. It probably means this is what I can expect going forward. 

Since I am hoarding now I have to make a decision on what to do next. I can just keep playing as it is or I can level another 5* to 360-370 to pair with Dr. S (that level to keep the PvP in line). It could be 4-3-2 OML, 3-2-3 Iron Man, 4-5-0 Phoenix, 1-4-2 Bolt, 1-4-2 Goblin, 2-3-5 Surfer or 3-4-3 Black Widow. My gut is telling me Black Widow or Bolt (for his extra damage every turn to make the PvE quicker). 

Saddly my Thanos is at 3 covers. Still - I use him in PvE for easy nodes as he does less damage than my 3* to my team and enough to the opposing team to finish them off.