Hoard Pulling Strategy / Advice

twistmonkey
twistmonkey Posts: 79 Match Maker
edited August 2017 in MPQ General Discussion

Hi MPQ forumites, long time lurker, first time poster here.

I'm looking to pull my mega hoard some time in mid-October (which is when I'm anticipating Doc-Ock will leave the LL pool), and am looking for hoard pulling advice and what to aim for!

As some background: I'm fairly deep in the 4* tier: currently I have 45 4* champs, of which 9 are in the blessed 12; of the remaining 36, 1 is Howard so 35 from the vintage pool are champed too. Of the 3 non-champed latest 12, Gamora will be champed after the current TaT PVE finishes, leaving just Vulture (7 covers) and Sandman (9 covers). Of the non-champed vintage characters, all four are cover maxed, I'm just not willing to drop ISO into them (yet). As far as 5* tier goes, got a clutch of covers, highest is OML (ofc) at level 315.

Now for my hoard: been hoarding since 1st Nov (anyone remember No-Pull November? Well I kept going!), currently I'm sitting on 300 LL tokens, 7,467 CP and 1.9m ISO, which currently would give me 598 latest pulls. Like I said, I'm expecting to pull the trigger some time in mid-October and at the rate I'm accumulating resources I expect to have 360 LL tokens, around 9k CP and around 4.9m ISO at that point (since I started tracking, per day I'm amassing: 1 LL, 26 CP and around 50k ISO).

This is where I need advice and/or some strategy.

When I do finally pull my hoard, do I

a) pull until I have 13 covers for each of the 5* in the LL pool at that point (Spidey, DD?, ???) - as discussed in other threads this will probably be around 300 pulls and will (probably) end up maxing all the latest 12 4* characters plus some from the vintage pool. I *should* have the ISO to champ all these additional 4* (4.9m ISO less 1.7m to champ 3x5* leaves me 3.2m, which is just under 8 4* champs)

b) pull the entire hoard in order to get additional champ levels on my 3x5*

c) other ideas?

As well as the above, any help/advice on how to actually pull the hoard?

Appreciate any info, I know I'm not the only one hoarding so would be good to get the community's input on what an optimal pull looks like.

twistmonkey

Comments

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Depends if you want to go wide or tall. You will have plenty left over if you just want 450s, but you'll get 470s with that hoard if you go for those 3.
    Dont forget your hoard is actually about 20% larger if you have all 4s champed from rewards cascades.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow, that's a tremendous hoard.

The key point to remember is that you don't have to pull everything at once.  There's no point in wasting covers if you don't have to.  If you get to a point where you run out of ISO, stop and replenish before you continue.

Next, you need to have a plan.  What do you want to get out of this?  Three 5*s at level 460-470?  The problem with that is we don't know how well Spidey will work with the next 2 5*s.  5 or 6 different champed 5*s?  Looking at your roster, that would be pretty difficult since you don't have any classic 5*s close to maxed.  Do you want to champ all of the 4*s?  Probably not, since that would take all of your ISO.

Let's look at 1 scenario.  What if you spent all of your CP on Classics?  7,467 CP = 373 pulls = 56 5*s on average.  With 14 5*s in the Classic pool, that's 4 covers for each one.  Since your highest 5* right now is 7 covers, that's a terrible strategy.  You'd have a bunch of low-to-mid covered 5*s and none of them would be useful.

So I'd start pulling Latest tokens and make OML your bonus hero just in case you get lucky.  When I pulled my hoard for Thanos, I ended up getting 5 bonus covers for him.  Normally I would say make Spidey your BH, but you have so many pulls saved up that you're going to cover all 3 of the latest guys without much trouble.  When you get the 3 Latest 5*s to 13 covers, I'd stop and wait until they rotate out.  I'd rather have more 5*s at 450 than just 3 at 460, especially if 1 of the next 2 are a disappointment.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Like Daiches mentioned,  this is really all about what you want to accomplish with your hoard

As a practical matter,  I would pull untill 2 5* are at 13 covers.  At the min you need to get 2 fully champed 5* out of your hoard.  So thats a good point to stop apply tje extra 4* covers, pay the iso fees and re evaluate your needs.

Thats also a good time to assess your BH and adjust as necessary.

Good luck and have fun.
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    It will be an interesting time when Otto leaves 5* land.  There are many big hoards out there waiting for that day.  I would say shoot for L470 5*'s if you want to have a competitive advantage on all these new triple 5* player influx.  Of course this will depend on how well those 3 play with each other.  Thanos, panther, hawk was amazing triple for people.  Same with the original 5's.  Natasha, strange, black bolt was pretty decent also.  Anything with Hulk, otto, or starlord, not good.  Also if you take those new 5's to L470, you will be grabbing some sick champ rewards on the way.
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    This will be your only chance to get super high 5's.  You should take it.  Assuming the next 2 5's look good of course.

get your level 480 5's and dominate. 
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hello there fellow squid.

I like Phumade's suggestion of pulling a bunch. Applying champ levels/covers and reassessing your situation. That seems to be the best strategy. But, I'd say in the end pull everything and get the latest as high as you can, especially if the next 2 seem as good as the new Spiderman (or complement him well). Pulling that kind of hoard, you should BH any classic 5s that you want to bring up (BB, Thanos, maybe DrS) one at a time and try to follow the covers you get for them. You may be able to cover 1 or more just through BH with the number of pulls you have!!
  • twistmonkey
    twistmonkey Posts: 79 Match Maker

Thanks for all the responses guys, really appreciate it.

Think I'll follow the consensus and try to get my brand new 5*s as high level as I can (ie pull all my tokens / cp). Speaking to my alliance as well, given my OML is 3/2/2 and IM is 2/1/3, I think I'll **** as I pull which of the new 5s I'll want to 'top up' with any 5* BH I pull.

I also hadn't considered what Daiches and Avalanche Kincaid pointed out: with all the champ rewards from adding 4* and 5* champ levels, the number of pulls will be ~20% higher than the balance I'm sitting on at the moment (not to mention ISO etc).

I'll create a new thread when I do pull the trigger for all the guys that like to track that sort of thing.

• AlexxKats
    AlexxKats Posts: 99 Match Maker
    edited August 2017
    Another piece of advice:

Preparing for diversity or lack of it.
    If you open your full hoard and get, let's say 3x480 characters, keep in mind that from then on, they will be your A team. Afterwards, and with not above-casual-spending, expect next 5*s you pull to reach a healthy level of 460ish, but hard to make it into your A team unless they are exceptional (due to the level difference).

A workaround would be to stop and playtest your new A team. keep a small % of your hoard unspent (you might not want to if you're running a hot streak ofc, understandable) - as the same 3x5* will be available in LT for a couple of weeks minimum - and then ask yourself if you're pleased to have those 3 as your highest characters for the foreseeable future (and spent the rest of the hoard), or save the remaining % of the hoard for a new hoard towards the next 1-3 5*s
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor

a) pull until I have 13 covers for each of the 5* in the LL pool at that point (Spidey, DD?, ???) - as discussed in other threads this will probably be around 300 pulls and will (probably) end up maxing all the latest 12 4* characters plus some from the vintage pool. I *should* have the ISO to champ all these additional 4* (4.9m ISO less 1.7m to champ 3x5* leaves me 3.2m, which is just under 8 4* champs)

Just as an aside: By October you'll have at least four more (Mockingbird, Yondu, 2x 4* between next 5* release and the one who'll replace Doc Ock) unchamped 4*

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards

Thanks for all the responses guys, really appreciate it.

Think I'll follow the consensus and try to get my brand new 5*s as high level as I can (ie pull all my tokens / cp). Speaking to my alliance as well, given my OML is 3/2/2 and IM is 2/1/3, I think I'll tinykitty as I pull which of the new 5s I'll want to 'top up' with any 5* BH I pull.

I also hadn't considered what Daiches and Avalanche Kincaid pointed out: with all the champ rewards from adding 4* and 5* champ levels, the number of pulls will be ~20% higher than the balance I'm sitting on at the moment (not to mention ISO etc).

I'll create a new thread when I do pull the trigger for all the guys that like to track that sort of thing.

If you're on Line, there are Hoarder rooms for just this kind of thing, and all the lovely math and statistics to figure your expected rate and levels :)
    October is going to be glorious.
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Daiches said:
    If you're on Line, there are Hoarder rooms for just this kind of thing, and all the lovely math and statistics to figure your expected rate and levels :)
    October is going to be glorious.
    Can I get an invite to the hoarders room, I've been hoarding for 1+ year, my hoard isn't quite as grandiose as twistmonkey (205LL/5k CP) but I'm always interested in others hoards/strats/stats
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Another hoarder (277LT and 5475cp) here. Not sure if I'm pulling in October, I do have hawkeye to get me by for now (and only 5x 4* under covered). Also not sure who to set as my 5* bonus hero (I didn't even get any when I pulled 4025cp for hawkeye and the rate was supposedly bugged/higher than 5%)
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Does 5* stat scaling increase by nonlinear amounts?  Or is a level 470 roughly 20% stronger than a level 450? (I'm using the 3/4 scaling where +100 levels usually doubles their damage/stats)
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Does 5* stat scaling increase by nonlinear amounts?  Or is a level 470 roughly 20% stronger than a level 450? (I'm using the 3/4 scaling where +100 levels usually doubles their damage/stats)
    A 470 is easily 50% stronger than a 450.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    goto
    http://marvelpuzzlequest.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_Puzzle_Quest_Wiki

they have stat line for all characters at all levels.

you can see for yourself