Should there be sealed deck events?

TheDragonHermit
TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
edited August 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Sealed deck and draft tournaments are a great way to generate a lot of hype about a set. In or around every town I have lived there has been one or the other for each set's release. For MtGPQ this could be done by opening two premium packs and a super pack (for 42 cards, if my maths are correct, giving leeway for strategy) and putting those into a sealed library for use during the event and set to disappear at the end. This would make the event about a little luck and a lot of deckbuilding skill, prevent stale strategies by limiting access to the cards encouraging flexibility, and the rewards could be the ability to select cards from the sealed library's cards to transfer to the player's main library. What do you all think?

Should there be sealed deck events? 40 votes

Yes, this would breathe new and sorely needed life and excitement into the game
37%
FalizarspeakupaskanswerGrizzoMtGPQZW2007-Corn_NoodlesEsdjco82spadplMiseryStormbringer0ifsandbutsWaschechtUweTellkampfElfNeedsFoodefhktddyjkbThuran 15 votes
Yes, this would give new players a hand up with flexibility in their decks
0%
Yes, this would give access to more cards
2%
frostIvory 1 vote
All of the above
40%
Rogan_JoshVolrakMainloop25babar3355YvendrosOhboyNathanyelThéséePhillmooretheyrejustelvesmournfenThomasHanseGormhaus[Deleted User]Marcelipapotihus 16 votes
No, this format would be too restricting and may have conditions where players cannot play
5%
FirinmahlazerBrakkis 2 votes
No, this would upset balance for players that got too lucky
7%
DologanAzerackfiirst 3 votes
Other (please explain in the comment)
7%
madwrenJames13Doomstat 3 votes

Comments

• Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    I'm not sure how they could implement it well, but I'd like to see something akin to sealed.
  • fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2017
    Tbh, i love sealed deck most in Mtgo & paper. But i vote no
    unless there are at least guaruntee 12 rares (10 from 10 packs 2 additional are bonus guarunteed ones) from those couple premium packs.......which equivalent to paper format.
  • TheDragonHermit
    fiirst said:
    Tbh, i love sealed deck most in Mtgo & paper. But i vote no
    unless there are at least guaruntee 12 rares (10 from 10 packs 2 additional are bonus guarunteed ones) from those couple premium packs.......which equivalent to paper format.
    That would be nice, but so few things are directly analogous to paper Magic. I think it would be more likely to work with as few changes as possible.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    "No, this would upset balance for players that got too lucky" I'm not sure how this would even be the case if the cards aren't all added to your collection later.

@fiirst, I also don't see why you need 12 guaranteed rares to build a 10 card puzzle quest deck. In paper you get 43 cards (3 15-card boosters + 1 guaranteed premium rare or better - the 3 basic lands from each booster), typically with only 4 rares (unless you get lucky with a foil rare in one of the boosters) to build a 40 card deck. Of course you only use around 22 of those cards which is roughly 51% of the cards you opened.

In puzzle quest you would have 68 total cards if you opened 2 premium packs and one super pack (13 5-card boosters (65 cards) +
     2 guaranteed rares or better + 1 guaranteed uncommon or better) to use to build a 10 card deck. This means you only need to use about 15% of the cards that you open.

That said, I really like the idea. Especially if you can only pick a card from you pool to keep if you do well enough. If you don't do well enough to win, your pool probably sucked anyway so who really cares right?
  • fiirst
    edited August 2017
    ZW2007- said:
    "No, this would upset balance for players that got too lucky" I'm not sure how this would even be the case if the cards aren't all added to your collection later.

@fiirst, I also don't see why you need 12 guaranteed rares to build a 10 card puzzle quest deck. In paper you get 43 cards (3 15-card boosters + 1 guaranteed premium rare or better - the 3 basic lands from each booster), typically with only 4 rares (unless you get lucky with a foil rare in one of the boosters) to build a 40 card deck. Of course you only use around 22 of those cards which is roughly 51% of the cards you opened.

In puzzle quest you would have 68 total cards if you opened 2 premium packs and one super pack (13 5-card boosters (65 cards) + 2 guaranteed rares or better + 1 guaranteed uncommon or better) to use to build a 10 card deck. This means you only need to use about 15% of the cards that you open.

That said, I really like the idea. Especially if you can only pick a card from you pool to keep if you do well enough. If you don't do well enough to win, your pool probably sucked anyway so who really cares right?
    @ZW2007- sorry, my dumb.........i misread and overlook another superpack.........so, there should be 15 rare cards in each player cardpool in the seal pod.

I agreed that we dont need all dozen or more rare cards in a deck......but i just wish to see fairness in Cardpool (at least in quantity of rare cards) so, there should be one rare in each single pack.... otherwise, ther might be some lucky one who have a deck from 20 rares cardpool vs another shittyluck with only 2 rares cardpool.

sometime i pulled 10 rares in one pp sometime only 1 guarunteed rare in one pp.......very swing drop rate is unacceptable in limited play espectially sealed deck....

• TheDragonHermit
    *facepalms* Ok I have been hording my packs so long I actually forgot that most packs are 5 cards, I was just trying to figure out a good analog to the packs opened for a SD tournament. Though if they would do something extra cool like letting players use level 60 versions of the set's Walkers maybe that could excuse the extra cards and keep players on a level playing field for PWs too.
  • fiirst
    *facepalms* Ok I have been hording my packs so long I actually forgot that most packs are 5 cards, I was just trying to figure out a good analog to the packs opened for a SD tournament. Though if they would do something extra cool like letting players use level 60 versions of the set's Walkers maybe that could excuse the extra cards and keep players on a level playing field for PWs too.
    In magic duel each booster contain 6 cards........ at least one rare there.....

Sorry that my comments are negative........ >_<*
  • TheDragonHermit
    fiirst said:
    In magic duel each booster contain 6 cards........ at least one rare there.....

Sorry that my comments are negative........ >_<*
    I put negative options because I wanted honest results. I know not everyone will agree with me and I know that with the differences between this and paper there are bound to be conflicts with the format. Presenting the options for opposing positions is the point of any well put together poll, so I thank you for your negativity. It tells me that even if my maths or memory is bad at least I got something right.
  • fiirst
    not including some cards with rarity change........like suppression bond......common into rare!!

thank god! they dont turn desert hold into mythic.......

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Something I like about Elder Scrolls Legends is that they have an arena mode where you draft cards.  There's a small entry fee, and then you're giving a selection of three color pairings; you choose which one you want to play, and then they show you selections of 3 cards. You pick one, then another selection appears, until your deck is built.

However, I'm not quite sure how that would translate into MTGPQ, since we're 1) limited to 1 copy each of 10 cards, as opposed to building an " actual" deck; and 2) faced with greater disparities in relative card power (HOU's effort to close the gap notwithstanding).

• Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    No, this format would be too restricting and may have conditions where players cannot play
    I think no. The first HOU pack I opened had 2 rares that was a duplicate and some combination of like 2-4 duplicate common and uncommons. I don't think I could have built a viable deck even with what I had after 2 packs. Also agree with the other No option because someone in my coalition got 2 mythics his first pack. It would be wildly unbalanced. 
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    All of the above
    Sealed! Drafts! All good stuff as crystal sinks. 
  • Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    I voted other because I think yes... but only for the original mono color planeswalkers, who get three chromatic packs of appropriate color. 

This would likely be easier to program, cheaper Crystal cost and help developers learn which color needs to be helped with better cards.

The main problem I see with my option is everyone is likely to choose Gideon, who I believe is the strongest of the original 5.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    All of the above
    Doomstat said:
    I voted other because I think yes... but only for the original mono color planeswalkers, who get three chromatic packs of appropriate color. 

This would likely be easier to program, cheaper Crystal cost and help developers learn which color needs to be helped with better cards.

The main problem I see with my option is everyone is likely to choose Gideon, who I believe is the strongest of the original 5.

Early stats leaked by the powers that be revealed Lilianna to be the strongest back when it was just the 5. It might have changed a little as card draw does negate a lot of the impact her skill 1 gives her. 
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    All of the above
    I always considered Lil1 the strongest of the OG 5. Chandra 1 has probably dropped off the worst due to the meta shift/power creep, not counting the nerfs to Jace1.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    I always considered Lil1 the strongest of the OG 5. Chandra 1 has probably dropped off the worst due to the meta shift/power creep, not counting the nerfs to Jace1.

Judging by my experiences on the red node in HoR, Chandra1 is a constantly-played powerhouse that somwhow triggers her loyalty abilities every turn. =p 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited August 2017
    (Disclaimer: I am not a designer/developer, so please consider my following comments as a mere fellow player)
    Hmm that's an interesting idea, one that certainly adopts the traditional game modes of Magic the Gathering.

Would the Planeswalker also be chosen at random? Might be tricky picking the Planeswalker at the end, versus the beginning, considering some color combinations have more options right now than others.

Then that begs the question of whether all the cards available to draft will be of that Planeswalker's color or would you still need the luck of the draw to find 10 cards with colors that work in your deck.

I think it could be a fun idea, but there are certainly a lot of nuances to factor into the design, if it was to be translated to the way MtGPQ works.

//Edited because sentence structure -Brigby
  • TheDragonHermit
    edited August 2017
    Brigby said:
    (Disclaimer: I am not a designer/developer, so please consider my following comments as a mere fellow player)
    Hmm that's an interesting idea, one that certainly adopts the traditional game modes of Magic the Gathering.

Would the Planeswalker also be chosen at random? Might be tricky picking the Planeswalker at the end, versus the beginning, considering some color combinations have more options right now than others.

Then that begs the question of whether all the cards available to draft will be of that Planeswalker's color or would you still need the luck of the draw to find 10 cards with colors that work in your deck.

I think it could be a fun idea, but there are certainly a lot of nuances to factor into the design, if it was to be translated to the way MtGPQ works.

//Edited because sentence structure -Brigby
    My original idea, which in hindsight may have been poorly conveyed, would be a largish randomly selected pool of cards from the upcoming pack with nodes preset with the Planeswalkers that will come out that set, with the idea of having a new and fun event style with part luck and part skill defining progression, a test of flexibility, strategy, and ingenuity dealing with what you have to make a deck giving players a new and fun challenge with the reward being the ability to select a number of the cards opened for this based on how well a player progressed, while generating an excitement for the new elements of the game in a burst of fun content and user empowerment, something lacking at the moment and that many are hoping for in crafting. I think from the feedback I am seeing with this poll many players are looking to the devs for something new, and it shows in the forums, but at the same time there are concerns about making this playable that are entirely valid. As always Brigby, I thank you for the care and interest you show in these forums and urge you that if you bring this to the devs in a meeting that you both bring up the desire for empowerment in card collection that the positivity in this represents and that the worries of those who responded negatively are addressed as they bring up very valid points. And to anyone reading this poll I would encourage you to make your own for ideas you have, I feel that if we can encourage development as an open dialog between players and developers we can make a great game, and it is a great game despite all our complaints, even greater. I can't wait to see what comes next.
  • Lightcell
    Lightcell Posts: 78 Match Maker
    There would have to be either a generic Planeswalker all players used for it or some sort of generic pack with filler cards
  • Boratdi
    Boratdi Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Do not deceive them
    The real purpose is to pay for the cards.
    Do you want a card ?? Pay ...
    Do you want a Planeswalker ?? Pay ...
    Etc, etc ...
    It´s no fair.