Local Bluetooth/WiFi PvP

Options
lockvine
lockvine Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
I know this is a BIG! ask but it would be awesome if there was a local play option. Probably via Bluetooth or WiFi. I would love to battle some of my close real life friends that play. I would suggest that this be a game mode with no rewards at all. It would be too easy to exploit to devices. It would however be huge fun for myself and friends to easily battle each other when hanging out. I'm sure the programming and testing would be extensive but it would be a part of the game with no rewards so you shouldn't have to worry about exploits. What do you guys think? Does anyone else have real life local friends that play and you want to challenge them for fun?

Comments

• AngelForge
    AngelForge Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't have, but the idea is still good. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Flg03
    Flg03 Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
    No real life or local friends play this, but if you could expand it to coalition members too I would be very interested.
  • r3ap3r
    r3ap3r Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This would be exactly what seems missing in the game. Playing against real life friends would be a lot of fun. If it would be possible to search for a name of a player and play against one of his/ her decks would also be a cool option to maybe support coalition members in optimizing their builds. 

Maybe it would even be possible to offer the option to exchange cards with real life friends. So the came would directly promote and reward real life interaction.

Had there ever been a poll on this subject?

Best,
    thomas
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are so so many issues that make this hard to implement _well_.

The main thing, though, is I'd be scared of PVP getting into the normal game.

I don't _want_ to wait for other players or deal with lopsided bugs or disconnecting in a temper tantrum... I play Plants vs Zombies : Heroes and other people disconnect from games ALL the time and it's horrible. I just want to _play_, I don't care if I win or lose, but other people being bad sports just ruins things.

There are technical and social reasons why this is so so much better having an AI but playing the other peoples decks.
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    There is another TCG game that recently hit the mobile market that made true PVP (not to mention lots of extra story as DLC) it's centerpiece (although the AI is no slouch either). Here's how they did it:

A player joins a queue and is matched with a similarly ranked opponent. Each players' turn has a timer and, if it runs out, the timer is shorter next time so if someone drops out, they lose turns/forfeit the match. 

And here's what's weird; when I dropped a connection mid-battle, I immediately logged back in and rejoined my match with a missed turn.

I can also challenge my friends if they're online at the same time or, and this IS cute, observe their current battle if they're playing a match. 

It IS possible and, although I had the exact same reservations you listed above, I'm loving it!
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Plants vs Zombies : Heroes does it ok, but you almost never get to fully finish a game by winning, the other players _always_ drop out, it's horrible.
    That game has a lot of assymetric gameplay and is interesting.

Paper magic is harder to do because you can cast things at any time and choose blockers and then cast things again. The puzzle quest version simplifies things a lot but I think it might frustrate people a lot in pvp.
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If an opponent drops out, give him a loss but let AI take over to finish the match. That way you always play to the end but quitters still get nothing.