How does one beat Thanos/BP

mpqr7
mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
Okay, you can do all your "One Does Not..." memes.. 

But seriously I am seeing championed Thanos/BP a lot in PVP, and they look really scary to my OML/PHX or OML/Cap5 or Cap5/PHX teams.

Any tips? What teams and strategies do you use to defeat them? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

When I was playing OML/Phoenix, my gameplan was to focus on Thanos first and try to pop OML's claws as fast as possible. Panther isn't protected against team damage, so he usually got pretty badly hurt by OML's yellow. Once you go single target you need to make sure you have enough to finish him off though, otherwise it will hurt when he self-stuns.

Now I am playing Thanos and Panther myself and usually try to focus on Panther first...

• Peej13
    Peej13 Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    You have to stun panther.
  • mpqr7
    @Peej13 I'm skeptical about that...
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

Have fun seeing nothing but that team in the next 6 months.

They can be beaten - whittle down Panther, ignore Thanos.

You'll be using a lot of Health Packs in PVP from now on.

• Quebbster
    Peej13 said:
    And kill him fast after that. Panther is not unlike the old school OML - make sure you can kill him fast or he might hurt you badly.
  • mpqr7
    Bowgentle said:

You'll be using a lot of Health Packs in PVP from now on.

That is an extremely true statement. 
  • Peej13
    Peej13 Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Quebbster said:
    Peej13 said:
    And kill him fast after that. Panther is not unlike the old school OML - make sure you can kill him fast or he might hurt you badly.
    You should absolutely not stun panther.
  • Quebbster
    Peej13 said:
    Quebbster said:
    Peej13 said:
    You should absolutely not stun panther.
    If
     you have the AP to kill him, it's not a bad idea to stun him first, that way he won't reduce the damage and sell-stun.
    But yeah, you should not stun Panther just to slow him down.
  • mpqr7
    Just as a heads up, I haven't improved my 5* roster at all, because I'm just hoarding. But out of necessity, now I pretty much only fight BP/Thanos teams in PVP, because those are basically the only ones available.

They're really not so terrible. Take out BP first, check how much damage you can do to him in one blow before he falls back, and then have at it with Thanos and the other one.

One a side note, I don't know why people set BP's Red to anything less than 5 covers. On defense, he almost never does the other two attacks, since I fight him first. When BP can handle up to 9000+ damage before jumping back, then it's pretty easy to take him out with almost any special attack, such as PHX's fire.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,489 Chairperson of the Boards

Nickel and diming Panther is the way to go - if you stun Panther or hit him hard, unload as much as you can before he unstuns.  Try to maneuver your highest hit point character to take the hit.  I focus on Panther unless there's a match-5 on the board - a 5* match five will usually trigger "Move or be Moved."  I either save my big hits, or use them on one of the other characters.

It does help that most per turn damage (Black Bolt's black, Dr. Strange's Yellow and blue,) is below Panther's threshold for "Move or be Moved."  Bolt is my go-to for Panther/Thanos teams, but that of course presumes you have him.

Honestly, in general if you're playing at the 5* level, you will use a lot of Health Packs.  Unless things go awesome, at least one character almost always takes enough damage that you will want to heal him.  Facing Thanos/Panther increases this odds, sure, but the 5* play is very health-pack intensive regardless.

For Thanos/Panther vs Thanos/Panther it's a similar strategy - if you feel you can take the team down quickly go for the lowest HP, otherwise focus on Panther and either save big hits or use them on another character.  If you trigger "move or be moved," try to put your own Panther in the way if you can (big if, unfortunately.)

• JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    GrimSkald said:

Nickel and diming Panther is the way to go - if you stun Panther or hit him hard, unload as much as you can before he unstuns.  

The critical thing to remember when your opponents stun themselves - as opposed to you stunning them - is the stun counter counts down on their turn, not yours, so when it shows a 1-turn stun they're coming out of the stun as soon as you finish your current move.

I was constantly making this mistake when facing teams with IM40 in them. So I'd see there was 1 turn left on the Stun, think IM was still going to be stunned for one more turn, and set up a Match 4 or 5, only to have Iron Man come out of the stun and take the Match 4 or 5 himself.