Relative Newbie ?

Options
Nighthawk81
Nighthawk81 Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
edited March 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I still don't understand the full scaling issue, BUT I fought Hulk the first time in Canada when he was at level 20 or so. I go back in now, a couple hours later, and he is at Level 205? How is this even reasonable? It also scaled hammer battles from about 15 or so to level 75+. This has almost made it where I don't want to play because I couldn't possibly compete with that level of Hulk. What gives?

Comments

• MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Welcome to mid-tier!

There were some initial issues where scaling wasnt doing much, then it caught up and now its chugging along as designed. It makes it rather difficult for mid level players to compete, leaving placement to those just starting out or high&diverse rosters.
  • It also scaled hammer battles from about 15 or so to level 75+.
    Hammer battles are often easier than their level suggests, so long as you can keep the countdown tiles from actually firing (with stun or OBW's ability to add time on countdown tiles). Having said that, I don't know what level team you've got.

And yes, the scaling started off weirdly in this round -- first none, then a rapid spike, now it seems to be more where it was in previous rounds.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Dayraven wrote:
    And yes, the scaling started off weirdly in this round -- first none, then a rapid spike, now it seems to be more where it was in previous rounds.

Which is broken for mid level players. My high char is 101 and is not boosted, I havent played the Canada sub at all, am about 22k in the main and my opponents are still 219.....yay scaling!
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Re: HAMMER guys (with flamethrowers!)

MBW works good for stunning (I have her stun at level 5) if you built her and don't have OBW but the challenge for me has been in the sheer fact that by the time you can collect enough Blue tiles (my boards were severely lacking in that color), the HAMMER guys have somehow collected 30+ greens (and ****, the board had VERY few matchable greens) and suddenly flamethrower CD tiles are tossed out and BECAUSE the greens are unmatchable, without a reliable way to get rid of them, you're now stuck and staring at CD tiles that will invariably go off.

MBW just doesn't have the HP for that - even if she isn't taking the full brunt of it.

Of course if you get lucky with Blue tiles...

Storm's situation is similar, too.

Then again, maybe I'm just getting some crazy boards right now or my skills at matching have died since the last event.

Normally HAMMER goons are my favorite but this time, they've been real killers.
  • Nighthawk81
    Nighthawk81 Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    SunCrusher wrote:
    Re: HAMMER guys (with flamethrowers!)

MBW works good for stunning (I have her stun at level 5) if you built her and don't have OBW but the challenge for me has been in the sheer fact that by the time you can collect enough Blue tiles (my boards were severely lacking in that color), the HAMMER guys have somehow collected 30+ greens (and ****, the board had VERY few matchable greens) and suddenly flamethrower CD tiles are tossed out and BECAUSE the greens are unmatchable, without a reliable way to get rid of them, you're now stuck and staring at CD tiles that will invariably go off.

MBW just doesn't have the HP for that - even if she isn't taking the full brunt of it.

Of course if you get lucky with Blue tiles...

Storm's situation is similar, too.

Then again, maybe I'm just getting some crazy boards right now or my skills at matching have died since the last event.

Normally HAMMER goons are my favorite but this time, they've been real killers.

Yeah. Really frustrating. I was looking at Hulk on Canada, and with the scaling, he would crush some of my characters twice over in one ability. Really makes me not want to play this event because there is no way I can compete in the rankings with that kind of enemy stats.
  • Hammer agents and all goons automatically generate a certain amount of AP a round. They don't match tiles. You might not want to match all the green before they toss out cooldown tiles so you have something to use. You're not slowing down their green aquistion by matching it.
  • More specifically, each enemy minion (like HAMMER guys) generates 2 AP per round in the color of his ability if he only has one. If the minion has two or more abilities, he usually generates 1 AP of each of those colors. (I believe there are exceptions, where a minion may have two abilities and generate 2 AP in each color per round, but I don't recall specific examples.)

This automatic AP generation is per minion still alive at the end of the enemy turn. If you have a HAMMER group of three Snipers, each with a 10 green AP Sniper Rifle ability, they are generating 6 green AP per turn. You should see the first Sniper Rifle tile placed on the enemies' third turn.
  • First thing i do when going against minions is check the colours they use, then i try and leave match 3's open in that colour for when they start placing countdown tiles. That way i can max the amount of time i get to collect what i need before having to worry about them possibly going off. It doesnt always work but it can help alot.
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thank you very much for that tidbit of knowledge; I will definitely try leaving the greens open until the CDs are placed and see if I fare any better.

The lack of explanations in-game had me scratching my head over how these guys were making matches.

Should have asked a long time ago and now I feel really silly.