Riri Red (Remote Control Gauntlets) vs. airborne or invisible enemies [Devs Aware]

nigelregal
nigelregal Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
I was doing PVE and had Thanos and Hawkeye left to kill. I threw Thanos in air with my green then tried to use Red on the hawkeye who was left to do the full damage but it did not work. 

http://imgur.com/a/02SHS
Screenshot of the power description

With how being airborne works I figured they are technically not in the match anymore for a few turns so only 1 person remains.

I guess this is symantics but if this is the case then her powers kind of clash and work against themselves. 

[Moderator edit - changed the title a bit to show that invisibility also has some unusual interactions with this power that could stand to be clarified.  Merging two threads together. -Dayv]
Tagged:

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought it was kind of odd that it wouldn't even let me fire the power in that  situation. Definitely makes her powers kind of an awkward combination.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah it's definitely a frustrating sort of anti-synergy. Is 11 Red AP and 8 Green AP too little for such an effect? I don't think it's unreasonable. Carol gets similar damage for only 8 Black and 5 Yellow (no airborne, though) and can do so even when there's 3 characters remaining.

Alternately, RC Gauntlets could simply hit airborne characters. I mean, they're flying gauntlets, for crying out loud :)

• Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Actually, I just spoke with the team about this and it just so happens to be a known bug. I wasn't told of which update it was going to be in, but they have already got a fix for this issue in a future update. I want to say the fix will be in R132, but with how the development cycles go, it will likely be released in R133. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    So... what will the fix be? Lower damage to the lone grounded target, or high (or something else)?
  • Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Airborne targets are not supposed to take damage at all unless an ability specifically dictates that they are (realistically, yes they should, but game mechanics/balance > realism) . That being said, if the non-targeted characters are Airborne, and thus cannot be targeted/damaged themselves, it poses a problem for the ability. 

I haven't been told what it is that they are changing, but you can expect the ability to either do its full single target damage to the target if everyone else is Airborne, or provide a warning prompt that states the ability cannot fire under the current conditions. But with how these types of problems are usually handled with other abilities, such as a random stun/damage, I can say that the change will likely make it so that it is registering the single target damage.
  • catcusvader
    catcusvader Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Playing against the Miles Howard Invisible Woman node, I see that Ironheart's RCG doesn't work once a invisible tile is on the board.Only one that wasn't invisible was miles but I couldn't target him with RCG. Once miles was down and I removed invisible woman's invisibility tile but still I couldn't target her. The person who is not invisble should then be treated as the only target and take full damage, but they don't. Is this a bug or intended? If its the latter then Iron Heart is severely counter by invisibility tiles.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seems like since they don't hit random enemies, and it's not AOE, then it must be treated as if a targeted effect since you know who's going to be hit. Perhaps it will change if it gets fixed to hit a single target when all other enemies are airborne.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tombstone said:
    I haven't been told what it is that they are changing, but you can expect the ability to either do its full single target damage to the target if everyone else is Airborne, or provide a warning prompt that states the ability cannot fire under the current conditions.
    It actually already provides a warning prompt that there are no valid targets, or words to that effect.  I'm not sure if that's a fix they hot-patched.  It definitely would be more satisfying for it to do the single target damage.

As far as hitting the airborne target, I think it's high time for some skills to be effective against airborne targets, with the addition of Vulture as the first character happy to stay airborne as long as possible, and able to be effective while doing so.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2017
    The same prompt happens when all other AI teammates are invisible, but invisible people can still take damage from AOE. It would be odd to have Riri red work while they are airborne but not while invisible, so the fix may be a little more complex.
  • Jaedenkaal
    RCG isn't really an aoe, though, it's more of a reverse-target