Hour Of Devastation: First Impressions - Updated with Notable Uncommons and Commons

2»

Comments

• Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2017
    True, but why would you ever play it, when drake haven and faith are a lot stronger? ;)

Also, it still seems bad in a cycling deck, since it requires you to actually cast each card manually, so you will take forever to build up even just 5-6 cycle cards in the yard. A deck which cycled the cards would have won by then ;) 
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thuran said:
    True, but why would you ever play it, when drake haven and faith are a lot stronger? ;)

Also, it still seems bad in a cycling deck, since it requires you to actually cast each card manually, so you will take forever to build up even just 5-6 cycle cards in the yard. A deck which cycled the cards would have won by then ;) 
    Well. From a neutral perspective : it cycles by itself, and since most cards in a full cycle deck are only in there to leave immediately : why not include it? Still more valuable than compelling argument.
    My point of view : Since I'm one of the guys that nearly never use a full cycle deck  - and rarely go semi cycle - this card is an option making the semi cycle approach interesting,combined with my favorite approach: self discard + card draw.
    Still not sure if I'm going to use it at all, tbh.

BTW, you exile manually, but cast automatically :P
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd say it is actually a real plus for cycling decks, since it makes them actually interesting in pvp (when played by the ai) @Thuran, dealing at least a bit with one of the main problems with them

I've been looking at it from another perspective, which is that it's a great card for cycle decks that are being piloted by the AI.  Since the AI casts every cycling spell, and doesn't lack for mana to keep casting them (NP plus the new Deserts is a lot of mana), it could easily generate a rather large pile of cycling cards in said graveyard. 

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Would you call a New Perspective??! :smile:

• Laeuftbeidir
    madwren said:
    I'd say it is actually a real plus for cycling decks, since it makes them actually interesting in pvp (when played by the ai) @Thuran, dealing at least a bit with one of the main problems with them

I've been looking at it from another perspective, which is that it's a great card for cycle decks that are being piloted by the AI.  Since the AI casts every cycling spell, and doesn't lack for mana to keep casting them (NP plus the new Deserts is a lot of mana), it could easily generate a rather large pile of cycling cards in said graveyard.
    Maybe I haven't expressed myself clearly, but this is the same perspective I used : it does work with the hardcore cycling stuff because it cycles, and makes the decks better (=more interesting) when the ai pilots them
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    madwren said:
    Ohboy said:
    It doesn't stay in the graveyard. 

It's possible to cheat it back. Just not easily. 

But his text says if hes in the graveyard it goes into play? 

If in the graveyard at the beginning of your turn, it's returned to your hand.
    So you can cheat it out, just takes a turn... 
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Never mind, it goes back to hand... I misread
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    can't you keep your hand full and then raise dead?

HH
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    hawkyh1 said:
    can't you keep your hand full and then raise dead?

HH

Yup. It's just not a straightforward process. 
  • madwren
    madwren said:

Maybe I haven't expressed myself clearly, but this is the same perspective I used : it does work with the hardcore cycling stuff because it cycles, and makes the decks better (=more interesting) when the ai pilots them

You're right, I misread you. 

Just wait until AI-played cycling decks start dropping Striped Riverwinders, too. 
  • Mainloop25
    Act of Heroism - Enabling a creature is awesome, but I don't know about giving it defender, unless it already has Prevent Damage or First Strike on it.
    Beneath The Sands - Converting 8 gems to green can be a huge mana swing at any cost, but that it's a common card at only 10, and it has cycling? It's going to be damn-near auto-include, and might replace my Animist's Awakening.
    Countervailing Winds - I guess if you don't have Censor yet, this is ok.
    Dauntless Aven - I'm happy to see more Enabling cards. Might not work against Hixus, but a good counter to Cast Out.
    Desert of the Indomitable - Another cheap green gem changer with cycle. Will likely be a staple in my green cycle decks.
    Desert of The Mindful - Net mana gain of 3, but it's a good card to have Baral charge in the background. Cycling is also always nice.
    Desert of the True - Another great card to have Baral charge in the background.
    Disposal Mummy - I'm going to have to wait to see how well these "Exile the Graveyard" cards actually work in practice, but I will try it in a ToA objective deck.
    Dutiful Servants - Another card I might try in a ToA objective deck.
    Feral Prowler - Might be worth trying in a Cat Deck with Regal Caracal.
    Frilled Sandwalla - Actually not half bad for a 4 mana common. If I were a noob, i might use it.
    Graven Abomination - This is an effect that I would like to see in a better creature, but I think it can be good against the right deck.
    Gristly Survivor - Looks like a better Horror of the Broken Lands.
    Kindled Fury - Finally, a replacement for Sure Strike. Sure, it's not as good, but still. At least it's standard legal.
    Lethal Sting - The second-cheapest creature removal spell in the whole game, and that drawback is almost nothing... Definite auto-include.
    Lurching Rotbeast - An ok card, especially for hitting Zombie objectives.
    Manalith - The closest thing to Shrine we get in Standard, but it will replace Painted Bluffs for me.
    Moaning Wall - Too bad it's so expensive, otherwise it might be worth it for ToA objectives.
    Mummy Paramount - probably better in Standard, but I think it has potential.
    Oasis Ritualist - As if green needed any more gem changers! This is a nice little card for the cost. I don't know if I'd need it but if I were just starting out I'd try it.
    Oketra's Avenger - Might be decent in a Nahiri Zoo deck if you don't have the standards for that deck style yet.
    Open Fire - Another piece for a creatureless red burn deck.
    Rampaging Hippo - This set's Kessig Dire Swine, but maybe slightly better because it has Cycling. Either way, total garbage.
    Sandblast - Might be decent in a Starfield deck?
    Solitary Camel - Seems like it can be good in a Sorin or Nahiri deck if you're hurting for lifelinkers.
    Strategic Planning - This card has so many uses! I think it's going to be a staple in B/U Graveyard decks.
    Survivor's Encampment - I think this card can be fairly useful, especially if you can disable the same creature upon multiple castings on the same turn.
    Traveler's Amulet - Probably going to be a Koth staple.
    Unquenchable Thirst - Decent cheap disabler.
    Unsummon - Very cheap bounce with no drawback.
    Without Weakness - It has cycle but for how much?? Either way it seems like a decent card without it.
    Wretched Camel - Not a bad effect for the creature, I am certain I can make it work for the ToA objective with Fleshbag.
  • madwren
    No comment on Desert of the Glorified? 1 mana for 6 mana, with a 3 damage "drawback" that reminds me of the Pull from Tomorrow "drawback" (i.e., it isn't).
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah, arguably one of the best  ramp spells in the entire game on mana ratio. And its not green ><
  • Laeuftbeidir
    madwren said:
    No comment on Desert of the Glorified? 1 mana for 6 mana, with a 3 damage "drawback" that reminds me of the Pull from Tomorrow "drawback" (i.e., it isn't).
    Sorin will love that card. Ob nix is also not unimpressed.
    Yeah, pull from tomorrow.. Love it. I'd even pay extra because of the drawback.. Scraphead agrees.
  • Mainloop25
    madwren said:
    I think i just overlooked it, but I totally agree 
  • Emanon2000
    Emanon2000 Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2017
    madwren said:
    Yeah, pull from tomorrow.. Love it. I'd even pay extra because of the drawback.. Scraphead agrees.
    Desert of the Mindful + Desert of the Glorified

4 Mana for 12 Mana with 3 damage "Drawback"

Tezz the Schemer is totally on board with this... Yee Haw!
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    madwren said:
    I think that Sorin receieved an incredible amount of love from AMK and even more from HoU. I don't even have the guy and it is obvious that his B/W advantage can create many devastating combos in here. I'm inclined to finally get him on his next rotation
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Gunmix25 said:
    madwren said:
    I think that Sorin receieved an incredible amount of love from AMK and even more from HoU. I don't even have the guy and it is obvious that his B/W advantage can create many devastating combos in here. I'm inclined to finally get him on his next rotation
    Hmm...If you want to take the Faith of the Devoted path I agree, but for me, Sorin has suffered the introduction of standard harder than any other of my Planeswalkers. AMK helped other colors way more..I play them now. But with HoU you're totally right. I will probably use him more once I get some of the new cards.