Hour Of Devastation: First Impressions - Updated with Notable Uncommons and Commons

Mainloop25
Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
https://d3go.com/mtgpq-card-list-hour-of-devastation/

Mythics:
Angel of Condemnation - Oh man, as if Angel of Sanctions isn't already enough of a headache. Now this one can be triggered multiple times and even Exiles a creature. At least it has Vigilance as well, which a lot of times can be a drawback. But with Cartouche of Ambition in Nahiri isn't always true. Prepare for it to be a real headache.
Apocalypse Demon - Seems decent. Without BtB it doesn't seem that crazy, but it can be pretty strong in a spell heavy deck, especially late-game.
Crested Sunmare -  Might be good in Sorin, with only 3 creatures on the battlefield its effectiveness is fairly limited.
Djeru With Eyes Open -  Does this mean all damage against you and your creatures?? If so, then this is really going to be a headache, but it's pretty vulnerable to kill spells, I think. Will be really good in PvE, which typically doesn't pack a ton of kill spells.
Fraying Sanity - I like the effect but the casting cost is really high. In G/U though, it might still be playable with something like Sphinx's Tutelage or another type of mana drain. Worth a try.
Hour of Eternity - Not sure I like it. In this era of graveyard recursion, I might not want to exile creatures from my graveyard, but I am sure there is some combo out there that can make this card shine...
Imminent Doom -  I would like this card even more if I could use it with Harness The Storm in a standard deck, but this is still going to be a card I imagine will see heavy use. Expect it to be stuffed in to cycle decks just for griefing purposes.......
Majestic Myriarch - A 4/4 hexproof flying defender at worst, and 10/10 at best. Decent, but not that amazing to me. Combined with a Sword or something like that though, and then it's a headache. Cartouche of Ambition can make it a solid wall though...
Neheb, the Eternal - Would love to build around this card. Since it has Afflict, making it a first-strike blocker could make that mana rain...
Overwhelming Splendor - Seems like it would be a blue card, but nevertheless, looks like a painful card to play against. Hope I pull one.
Pride Sovereign - Again, another one of those cards where you wish you had more creature slots on the battlefield, but looks tailor-made for a AJ2 Cat deck.
Ramunap Hydra - Maybe it's good? Maybe not? Seems like the toughest one to grow out of all the hydras, but I will wait to see it in action before I make my mind up about it.
Razaketh the Foulblooded - I would like it more without that steep drawback, but I appreciate the interesting design. I'd never want to use it in Enraged mode though.
Swarm Intelligence - Depending on how many shields this has, this can be the new Mirrorpool. A little on the expensive side to me though. I don't typically use a lot of high-cost spells that would warrant the use of this one though. I'd try it if I had it.
The Locust God - A bit expensive, but if you can get it on the field it's another more expensive Drake Haven, I feel.
The Scarab God - Is this the most expensive creature card to cast? It has a lot of cool things it does, but something that expensive would be hard to cast. Def one of those Dark Petition creatures.
The Scorpion God - Solid card. Not too amazing but I would play it.
Torment of Hailfire - In certain situations it can be devastating, but the casting cost is a bit high. In Enraged mode it might be worth it. Maybe combined with Swarm Intelligence and some cheapo spells in Tezz2?
Uncage The Menagerie - I think this is meant to combine with Vizier of the Menagerie, but it can totally help get those crucial Shefet Monitors in your hand! Very interesting card. Will be fun to see how people strategize around this one.
Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign - Besides having a nonsense name, it seems like a cool card. Stealing creatures from your opponent is always fun, and being a Rattlechains for Sphinxes can be really dynamic.
Wildfire Eternal - This one looks fun. Though not a powerhouse, giving yourself the ability to cast spells for free is never a bad thing. Gonna be all sorts of fun to combo with other cards.

Rares:
Accursed Horde - Seems ok, feels a little too unpredictable. Better with Legacy zombies.
Adorned Pouncer - A cheap double-striker is always nice if you ask me, and the fact it's a cat means it should pair nicely with Regal Caracal. Eternalize is maybe a good thing? I dunno yet.
Ammit Eternal - Interesting card. I like that it's a Zombie, since we need better ones in this set.
Believe - Super cheap for the effect. Those Activate 1 gems are always iffy though.
Burning-Fist Minotaur - I think it would make for a good piece of a larger discard combo, but it's a 6/5 first striker for 14 mana so that's already solid.
Champion of Wits - One of the weaker rares of this set. Not very impressive, but it might be worth combining with a mythic that takes advantage of discard/card draw.
Chance - Solid on its own, but definitely great to pair with graveyard effects and card draw.
Chaos Maw -  I don't love that it hurts your own creatures as well, but I can see it having its uses.
Cooperate - Stealing a spell from your opponent is new and can be fun.
Despair - Menace is situational, but making your opponent discard a card is mostly a good thing. So much graveyard tactics makes it a bit of a double-edge sword now.
Doomfall - Very powerful removal! Going to be one I want.
Dreamstealer - Solid effect, but too expensive to cast.
Driven - Decent, sometimes you want Berserker, I guess. Might help with certain objectives.
Dust - Very cheap removal with some luck involved. Would be hard not to want to put it in most white decks.
Earthshaker Khenra - I am guessing they meant to add "opponent" to the text? Either way, very meh.
Gideon's Defeat - Really powerful creature removal, and combined with StarNix? Jesus....
Grind - Seems too weak to want to add to most decks... how is this a rare?
Imaginary Threats - Wow super cheap way to disable all your opponent creatures. I'll want this one.
Inferno Jet - Solid direct-damage spell. Going to be a real pain in Enraged mode.
Leave - Seems really situational.
Magmaroth - I don't really like it in standard, but it can be pretty good in certain decks I bet. R/G?
Nimble Obstructionist - Seems like a really cool card in certain circumstances. It will remain to be seen how useful it actually is in game play.
Obelisk Spider - Would need a good buff to make it actually playable. Maybe with a Sword?
Ominous Sphinx - Too expensive for me, but if you can get it on the field, it's solid to play in your NP deck.
Overcome - Hmm I think it can be a useful card in certain situations. Combine with Glorious End for extra devastation.
Quarry Beetle - Convert X Gems to Green is almost always very powerful, but in this case it may be a bit too situational. A bit costly.
Ramunap Excavator - Solid effect, obviously even better in a deck that generates cascades.
Reason - I'd rather play Pull From Tomorrow.
Refuse - Decent card even without the Aftermath Effect.
Resilient Khenra - I dunno seems really weak to me.
Sifter Wurm - Probably going to be overrated. Maybe worth using if I cheat it out.
Solemnity - Nice try I guess, but there is already a thread about how useless this card is.
Steward of Solidarity - Not bad. Good for a Nahiri Zoo deck with white Cartouche.
Vizier of the Annointed - Pretty cool effect. good for a combo piece. That it's a 4/6 for 10 means it's not too weak to add into your deck.
Vizier of the True - I like it. A 6/5 for 12 is already decent, and the ability to make defenders useless is a very useful ability.

I'll do the notable uncommons later

Comments

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think you misunderstood the front- and back sides of the aftermath cards as being two different cards!

• Mainloop25
    No i got it
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Boy did they ruin Overwhelming Splendor.  Not even close to the paper ability (or cost).  Not saying it's bad, but not nearly as epic as I had hoped.  And I'd say the Locust God is better than drake haven because A ) It triggers on all draws, and B ) the tokens have haste.  and I think you got afflict mixed up, it when the creature becomes blocked, not when it blocks.
    All in all I'm excited for this set (and to see how badly its broken)
  • Mainloop25
    Drake Haven only costs 5 to cast which is the main advantage over locust God, but yeah if I could get that God out yes I would rather have that creature out. Thanks for the clarification about Afflict though. 
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Drake haven is also a support, which is harder to remove. 

Locust God's ability also hampers any attempt to cheat him out. 
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    I think you miss the importance of dual colors. Reason to Believe gives green a draw spell and is a potent deploy tool too. 
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Ohboy said:
    Locust God's ability also hampers any attempt to cheat him out. 

I dont get it? I thought discarding him would cheat him out easy? 
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    It doesn't stay in the graveyard. 

It's possible to cheat it back. Just not easily. 
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ohboy said:

Not easy is right.  In Standard,  those with Kiora + either Champion of Rhonas or vizier of the menagerie will have a much easier time getting them out. Or those with Dark rituals for the latter two gods on the list. 
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    My overall impression is that this is a weirdly designed set, even for MTGPQ standards. Some questions that spring to mind right away:
    - Why do the Aftermath cards have mana costs?
    - Isn't Djeru a bit pointless since he dies pretty quickly, given he has vigilance?
    - Why isn't Rampaging Hippo called "Always Cycle Me"?
    - If you include the defeat cycle, why only part of it and why only one card that targets its own color? Why are we supposed not to care about design aesthetics?
    - Why "Aura" all of a sudden?

And many more...
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017

For any forum users who want a more functional way to view and filter cards. 

http://beta.mtgpq.info/cards/search

Thanks to everyone's favorite MTGPQ community member octal9

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards

- If you include the defeat cycle, why only part of it and why only one card that targets its own color? Why are we supposed not to care about design aesthetics?

This one bugs me more than it likely should.
  • madwren
    edited July 2017
    For everyone's convenience, here are the Aftermath card pairings. The first one is the "front side" that you need to cast to generate the Aftermath gem for the second card.

Farm // Market
    Consign // Oblivion
    Claim // Fame
    Struggle // Survive
    Appeal // Authority
    Leave // Chance
    Reason // Believe
    Grind // Dust
    Refuse // Cooperate
    Driven // Despair

It's easier to remember if you just substitute in the word "to" between them, as it makes an English phrase (e.g., Farm to Market, Consign to Oblivion, Claim to Fame.)
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    madwren said:
    For everyone's convenience, here are the Aftermath card pairings. The first one is the "front side" that you need to cast to generate the Aftermath gem for the second card.

Farm // Market
    Consign // Oblivion
    Claim // Fame
    Struggle // Survive
    Appeal // Authority
    Leave // Chance
    Reason // Believe
    Grind // Dust
    Refuse // Cooperate
    Driven // Despair

It's easier to remember if you just substitute in the word "to" between them, as it makes an English phrase (e.g., Farm to Market, Consign to Oblivion, Claim to Fame.)
    Thanks, that reminds me of another question: Why post the cards in such an awkward way that it is basically impossible (without extra research) to know which card belongs to which? To be fair, it was the same mess with transform cards.
  • Mainloop25
    Appeal/Authority - Not a bad combo of cards
    Bloodwater Entity - Too expensive.
    Chandra's Defeat - Interesting idea for a card. A good cheap sideboard card.
    Claim/Fame - I like this one. Dark Petition Plus!
    Consign/Oblivion - Bounce/discard for black/blue respectively. I like it.
    Crook of Condemnation - Interesting card, will mostly be a situational card but it's a good one for 3.x ToZ nodes, maybe.
    Crumbling Necropolis - I think this would be good for Tezz2?
    Desert's Hold - This is a cheaper Suppression Bonds for less rarity?? What??
    Devotee of Strength - Not bad, solid ability.
    Dunes of the Dead - Cheap way to generate a zombie. Deserts will be an interesting new way to build decks, but it's too bad that power creep will make them feel underpowered.
    Farm/Market - The new Silverstrike. Will give me another reason to pull StarNix out again.
    Gift of Strength - Not bad, it's a better version of Blossoming Defense?
    Hashep Oasis - Pretty good stat bump for the price.
    Ipnu Rivulet - Too expensive for what it does, I think.
    Liliana's Defeat - This will replace Unlicensed Disintegration once KLD rotates out of Standard.
    Merciless Eternal - Meh. Too expensive.
    Ramunap Ruins - I like that this is colorless. Will be great in Legacy with Harness/creatureless decks.
    Razaketh's Rite - I like this one, could be a good card to dig for what you need.
    Sand Strangler - I think it has an interesting side effect but probably not worth including into your deck for it. Feels like it should have haste for some reason.
    Struggle/Survive - Struggle is OK, but Survive looks like a really good effect when you need it.
    Sunscourge Champion - An interesting way to take advantage of Eternalize.
    Sunset Pyramid - Interesting. Sort of a poor man's Tamiyo's Journal.
    Supreme Will - In a cycle deck the drawback of this card isn't even that bad.
    Tenacious Hunter - I like this one. A defender with deathtouch is always interesting to me
    Unraveling Mummy - Better in Legacy but still could be good.
    Vile Manifestation - Could be an interesting different way to take advantage of cycling, at least for the AI.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2017
    Vile manifestation is kinda weird, since cycled cards get exiled, meaning it is rather counterintuitive
  • Mainloop25
    Right, which is why I say the AI will take more advantage of this card than a player would.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Ohboy said:

But his text says if hes in the graveyard it goes into play? 
  • madwren
    Ohboy said:

But his text says if hes in the graveyard it goes into play? 

If in the graveyard at the beginning of your turn, it's returned to your hand.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd say it is actually a real plus for cycling decks, since it makes them actually interesting in pvp (when played by the ai) @Thuran, dealing at least a bit with one of the main problems with them