*** Black Panther (T'Challa) ***

Comments

• akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    IceIX wrote:
    No news on if yellow is going to be changed?
    At the moment, it's working as intended. Yes, that means that 0-29 AP is pretty well the same thing, much as Wolverine's old 0-9 Red AP were the same thing. Whether intended is balanced in the long run/meta-game and therefore in need of a change is something else entirely of course. I wouldn't be surprised to see a slight buff on this one in the future though.

They are not the same thing. 0-14 costs no environmental AP and 15-29 costs 15 environmental AP yet they both make 1 tile. The key difference is wolverine's didn't drain the resource when he used it while Panther does. If you are happy with the number of tiles made then make it not take environmental AP for the first tile created.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    akboyce wrote:
    They are not the same thing. 0-14 costs no environmental AP and 15-29 costs 15 environmental AP yet they both make 1 tile. The key difference is wolverine's didn't drain the resource when he used it while Panther does. If you are happy with the number of tiles made then make it not take environmental AP for the first tile created.
    Understood, and apologize for making out that it's exactly the same thing instead of roughly. And I completely get where you all are coming from with the drain. I'll bring it up to the ability designer again in any case. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    You're a good egg Ice.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    akboyce wrote:
    Understood, and apologize for making out that it's exactly the same thing instead of roughly. And I completely get where you all are coming from with the drain. I'll bring it up to the ability designer again in any case. icon_e_smile.gif

Thanks a ton!
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    IceIX wrote:
    much as Wolverine's old 0-9 Red AP were the same thing.
    It was? I could swear Wolverine was originally 1 + 1/5AP, which is why folks keep clamoring for the same for BP's yellow.

It was. 5-9 created two tiles. It was x/5 + 1 rounded down.

Panthers is

if n/15 >= 2
    Create n/15 strike tiles

else
    Create one strike

Roughly speaking
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    IceIX wrote:
    akboyce wrote:

You are a good man IceIX and I do not envy you on days like today.

One other small thing. The cover pack details in the patch notes are from the old Hulk. They need to be updated to the cover pack with Black Panther.

Stay strong.
  • IceIX
    akboyce wrote:
    You are a good man IceIX and I do not envy you on days like today.

One other small thing. The cover pack details in the patch notes are from the old Hulk. They need to be updated to the cover pack with Black Panther.

Stay strong.
    Yeah, I had a brand new draft for the Event which I lost just before posting so I ended up modifying the old Event Notes and missed a little. I'll update that. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Hey Ice, I thought you said that it was new dev policy to avoid alternate characters for now and stick with new guys. Has the run of a bunch of new characters (Psylocke, T'Challa) made that no longer policy? I think it was stated around the time Patch came out but those are the only two new guys since Patch IIRC.
  • IceIX
    jozier wrote:
    Hey Ice, I thought you said that it was new dev policy to avoid alternate characters for now and stick with new guys. Has the run of a bunch of new characters (Psylocke, T'Challa) made that no longer policy? I think it was stated around the time Patch came out but those are the only two new guys since Patch IIRC.
    It's not policy, just the way things in general are moving forward and *very* much the focus of our upcoming characters. Thor (Modern) is very much a test case for alts. He's pretty obviously an upgraded 2* instead of a full on new character/alt like Black Widow (Original). If it turns out that it's well received as released, you may see more. If players don't really pick up on the concept, that kind of release will drop off. But Thor is pretty well a completely new paradigm in character releases.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    jozier wrote:
    Hey Ice, I thought you said that it was new dev policy to avoid alternate characters for now and stick with new guys. Has the run of a bunch of new characters (Psylocke, T'Challa) made that no longer policy? I think it was stated around the time Patch came out but those are the only two new guys since Patch IIRC.

I'd argue this isn't an alternate character, but a "gold foil" of the same character. An upgrade of the same character.
    For this to truly work, Thor and Gold Thor was always need to be treated the same and interchangeably in all events. When one Thor is allowed in an event, so is the other. When one Thor is buffed, so is the other. If they ever get treated differently, then they are definitely different characters.

Basically ... could I get rid of my 2* Thor and just use the 3* Thor without missing out on something where the 2* Thor is required?
  • Unknown
    edited March 2014
    IceIX wrote:
    Thor (Modern) is very much a test case for alts. He's pretty obviously an upgraded 2* instead of a full on new character/alt like Black Widow (Original). If it turns out that it's well received as released, you may see more. If players don't really pick up on the concept, that kind of release will drop off. But Thor is pretty well a completely new paradigm in character releases.

Well, if you're taking votes, I personally HATE the Thor (Modern) idea. "Almost exactly the same character you busted your tinykitty collecting and leveling up the first time around, but now with a LONGER TREADMILL!!"
  • IceIX
    Basically ... could I get rid of my 2* Thor and just use the 3* Thor without missing out on something where the 2* Thor is required?
    That's the current concept, yes. I'd recommend keeping your 2* around though. Never know when we'll do a "2* Norse Gods Only" Tournament or some such.
  • Care to give a reason why the character was released in an obviously unbalanced and bugged state?

I'll take that as a no.
  • IceIX
    Care to give a reason why the character was released in an obviously unbalanced and bugged state?

I'll take that as a no.
    That question is far too loaded to answer without being attacked and being picked apart. So, not really, no.
    Edit: 1111 posts. 226 more for the next posting milestone. icon_lol.gif
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Incidentally ...

When will some new 1* characters be released? There shouldn't be an event for them, since a 1* isn't a great prize. But the 3* Rares are getting common, and the 1* Commons are getting rare. It would be great to see greater variety in the Standard Token prizes.

Some possible 1* characters
    Bulldozer, Piledriver, Thunderball, Wrecker (The Wrecking crew), Sabretooth, Sandman, Kraven the Hunter, Lady Deathstrike, Scorpion, Absorbing Man, Jigsaw, Taskmaster, Onslaught, Shocker, Mephisto, Pyro, Blackheart, Chameleon, Dark Phoenix, Carrion, Stryfe, Mr. Sinister, Morgan le Fay, and Tiger-Shark.

They wouldn't need to be great characters -- except maybe at levels over 150.
  • IceIX
    Incidentally ...

When will some new 1* characters be released? There shouldn't be an event for them, since a 1* isn't a great prize. But the 3* Rares are getting common, and the 1* Commons are getting rare. It would be great to see greater variety in the Standard Token prizes.

Bulldozer, Piledriver, Thunderball, Wrecker (The Wrecking crew), Sabretooth, Sandman, Kraven the Hunter, Lady Deathstrike, Scorpion, Absorbing Man, Jigsaw, Taskmaster, Onslaught, Shocker, Mephisto, Pyro, Blackheart, Chameleon, Dark Phoenix, Carrion, Stryfe, Mr. Sinister, Morgan le Fay, and Tiger-Shark.

I'm not 100% on new 1*s, but I know we've got more 2s and 4s coming at the very least.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Incidentally ...

I'm not 100% on new 1*s, but I know we've got more 2s and 4s coming at the very least.

Hints hints! Lol
  • IceIX wrote:
    Care to give a reason why the character was released in an obviously unbalanced and bugged state?

I'll take that as a no.
    That question is far too loaded to answer without being attacked and being picked apart. So, not really, no.
    Edit: 1111 posts. 226 more for the next posting milestone. icon_lol.gif

Ok, thank you at least for responding. I know it is not YOUR fault if something did go wrong behind the scenes that you cannot communicate.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    IceIX wrote:

I'm glad you can say that much.

Seriously, though, even a cover like a 1* Hammer Lieutenant, with a level cap of 40, would be an interesting new thing to see in the standard covers.
  • At the risk of veering wildly back on-topic, BP still looks like a top-tier character to me even after the damage reduction to his black skill. Hell of a replacement for Spiderman, IMO. Now I'm really hoping to nab some of his tokens during the Hulk event.