Vulture cover distribution

Meander
Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
So once again,  the cover distribution is stacked against a new release.  My question is,  assuming the PvP progression cover is blue,  how bad will your vulture be? I got t20 on vb and luckily (?) drew a blue from a vb token,  so I'll be staring at an 0/2/5. Thanks devs!

What's your horror story?

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    My horror story (which isn't really a horror story) is I really wanted to get the black as it seemed the most useful and fun and since most of the event took place on a weekend (the only time I'm able to play optimally, thanks tinykitty time slices), but with the final day being a Monday it wasn't meant to be.  After really straining and dropping down to SCL7 I placed 11th.... 
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    I had to waste 4000 hp to get rng to give me a black cover as an option in the hulk vault.  It just knows which one you need or want and won't give it to you.
  • Landale
    Landale Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2017
    I gave up on being able to use new characters a long time ago.  The devs do nothing to make me want to use them shortly after release.  Oh, my new Vulture is 0/0/1 after finishing #22 in VB (missed t20 by 500 points =P)?  Yeah, let me go ahead and use him against level 300 enemies...I'm sure the 0/0/1 will pair great with C4rol, who is my only championed boosted 4* for this week.

Shoot.  My 4* R&G is 3/3/5 and I still won't use them given the scaling I have now.  I stick to champs.

I mean really...who cares if the lvl 70 is boosted?  I just hoard my tokens until the new character cycles into the vault, and then hope I get some more to actually make them useful.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't even use max - covered 4 stars until I champ them. They stay at level 100 and remain unused even when boosted.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    I have a 0/1/5 Rocket and Groot 
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    top100 in VB + alliance cover...   so he's at 0/0/2, completely useless.

If the boredom of Hulk's pve doesnt win, he should end up at 0/1/3...     still useless.

My possible fix: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/64193/order-of-rewarded-covers-for-newly-released-characters#latest

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy said:
    I don't even use max - covered 4 stars until I champ them. They stay at level 100 and remain unused even when boosted.
    This. I may use them if they happen to end up boosted while I'm on a champ run and they're already at 230 or something, but mostly they sit unused until max covered and I have enough ISO to just hit the max button.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not sure why people even worry about this. With vaulting he will be champed in a few months. 
    Yeah, but they could still be smarter about this.  I finished top 100 and got my cover, plus the alliance cover.  Then my Venom Bomb token lucked me into another cover, but it was blue too.  So now he's 0/0/3, and after progression in Hulk PvE, he'll be 0/1/4.  The alliance cover shouldn't match the top 100 cover, and neither should the 2 Hulk progression covers.

I'll still champ him fairly quickly, but starting off at 0/1/4 means a MUCH higher chance of wasting some blue covers before I'm able to max cover him.
  • broll
    Orion said:
    The alliance cover shouldn't match the top 100 cover
    If the devs were to only act on one thing in this thread, this is it IMO.  This has never made sense to me.  
  • TheLadder77
    TheLadder77 Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    I have a 0/1/5 Rocket and Groot 
    Mine is 0/2/5. Can't seem to pull anything out the vaults except green, shame because I think there may some good collabs.

It really can't be that difficult to have an even spread of colours from initial rollouts.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Not sure why people even worry about this. With vaulting he will be champed in a few months. 
    Great, getting useless duplicates for almost 1 year, than MAYBE you will max him out and champion him and then he will be vaulted and you will get him once per month at absuletly most.
    ... or you can hoard CPs and LTs and wait before he gets vaulted :D
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think that when a new character is released, the easiest cover to win should be the best cover. It often happens to me where the new character's powers are:

Color 1: Do massive amounts of damage!!!!
    Color 2: Do a decent amount of damage, plus board shake!!!
    Color 3: Do basically nothing!!!! Such as create a single defense tile, or steal 1 AP from your opponent!

And surprise surprise, I win a bunch of Color 3, which makes the new release basically completely useless to play, other than allowing me to get that sweet, sweet Required PVE Node pointage and CP.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    I've been griping to my alliance about this for a while, they seem to love to make that first cover ability for new releases notoriously hard to get. 

Release Event - Only T10 get it
    Post-Release Event - Progression cover is always the 2nd ability
    Event before Release PVP - Only T1 gets it
    Release PVP - Progression cover is always the 3rd ability

If you can't make T10 in the Release (which most people don't), or T1 in the PVP before Release (which most people don't), then your only guaranteed shot at that cover is the next season's Shield SIM. It's highly annoying, BOTH my R&G and G4mora are about to be sitting at 2/5/5.  
  • broll
    mpqr7 said:
    I think that when a new character is released, the easiest cover to win should be the best cover.
    Depends on what the goal is.  If the goal is fun/player satisfaction then absolutely.  If the goal is making money then they'd want the best ability to be hardest to get to encourage people to throw money at trying to get it (which I'm pretty sure if their gameplan)
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    I scraped out a T20 win to get him to 0/1/1. After Hulk PVE, he'll be 0/2/2 - and the cover sitting in the Hulk vault, should I be so lucky as to get it, is a Blue.

A black! My kingdom for a black!
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I at least ended up with a black in my Hulk vault, so I'm picking up the daily deal each time, which I usually never do. But the possibility of actually getting him fully covered so quickly is too much temptation.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    broll said:
    mpqr7 said:
    I think that when a new character is released, the easiest cover to win should be the best cover.
    Depends on what the goal is.  If the goal is fun/player satisfaction then absolutely.  If the goal is making money then they'd want the best ability to be hardest to get to encourage people to throw money at trying to get it (which I'm pretty sure if their gameplan)
    With a blue cover in the Hulk vault, I'm not clear how I can spend money to cover his best ability - I can't get that first cover
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    mpqr7 said:
    With a blue cover in the Hulk vault, I'm not clear how I can spend money to cover his best ability - I can't get that first cover
    You can spend HP to reset the vault, which replaces all the covers. Maybe you'll get lucky and only have to reset it once to get the black Vulture cover, but it might take resetting it several times to get black.

Once the black is in there, it's a matter of buying 40 packs to empty out the vault. Don't have the HP stored up to do all of that? Buy a Stark. And that's how you spend money to get the black cover.