Would you like to see deckbuilding challenges?

TheDragonHermit
TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
edited July 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Events that restrict restrict the cards that can be used in a deck by a theme could breath new life into the game. I have seen Pauper, a deckbuilding challenge were cards are restricted to Commons and Uncommons, tossed around, another option could be restricting creatures by a themed type or by ability. Would you like to see Events that require creative deckbuilding towards a theme?

Would you like to see deckbuilding challenges? 21 votes

Yes, I would like to see deckbuilding events with objectives
52%
_Daromax_UweTellkampftheyrejustelveswickedwitch74GilescloneElfNeedsFoodefhktddyjkbLaeuftbeidirTomvd10Mburn7BUgsySA 11 votes
Yes, I would like to see events that use a deckbuilding challenge instead of objectives
38%
andrewvanmarleMainloop25babar3355ElimGarakDamienFirinmahlazerqwertyHypnoticSpecter 8 votes
Yes, but only by rarity
0%
Yes but only by creature type
0%
No, Objectives are enough for events
0%
No, this would be too restricting for newer players that may not have enough cards to satisfy the requirements)
4%
bk1234 1 vote
Other opinion (If selected please post your opinion)
4%
Sorin81 1 vote

Comments

• UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2017
    I voted yes not particularly because I find this idea in any way glorious, but because I would simply be happy with ANY changes to spice up the event structures and make them more manifold. 

Win with a deck in which there are two goats.

Win with a deck consisting only of vegan creatures.

Win with a deck in which there is no creature with red-demoniac-eyeglow.

Play only supports which have the letter "y" in their name.

I'll take all of that before I'd take another Firf, even though I consider Firf to be an okay event on a scale from 1-Not okay and 100-Perfect where ok would be around 2.

Also events for games played in the coalition itself. Like a league of sorts. Internal struggle who could play 10 games in a row without a crash for example.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hell yeah! As non coalition events of course.. Sounds great!
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 542 Critical Contributor
    Other opinion (If selected please post your opinion)
    I honestly don't really care. 
    I have no strong feelings one way or the other about this.
    It's a good idea though.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    I prefer to build decks that just naturally meet objectives anyways bit would love to see other decks in suit as well. A full on Koth with no vehicles in FiRF is out of place IMO.  
  • wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    I have pushed the pauper idea in the past.

The game would really benefit from events with special objectives. They have limited deck building to certain sets for standard events. It really shouldn't be too hard to restrict by rarity either.

With the metagame as stale as it is, any events that reward players for building and playing non-cycling decks would be a good thing, in my opinion.
  • TheDragonHermit
    I have pushed the pauper idea in the past.

The game would really benefit from events with special objectives. They have limited deck building to certain sets for standard events. It really shouldn't be too hard to restrict by rarity either.

With the metagame as stale as it is, any events that reward players for building and playing non-cycling decks would be a good thing, in my opinion.
    Yeah, I seem to recall seeing you putting that forward while trolling the forums, that was part of what inspired me to make this poll.
  • Outersider
    Outersider Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Yes, but to be fair to new players I would make sure that no specific cards be required. It's already frustrating enough to not have a way to obtain specific mythics or masterpieces but to have an event that requires you to have a certain card is an event that will not have a very high participation by new players. 

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    No, this would be too restricting for newer players that may not have enough cards to satisfy the requirements)
    I got into my second alt today to do a kickdown in a coalition and I tried to play it with the basic 5 all under level 10 in TG -- I couldn't even build decks that I could win with after over a year and half in the game -- I just didn't have the cards. 

This idea would completely exclude newer players just like EC and Terrors did with their creature objectives.  That was a tough time in this game for new players and the only thing that made it better was easier access to strong cards from better coalition rewards and drop rates. 

Those are the days of old; now there are so many things in this game that make it impossible for a newer players to progress --- in fact most absolutely stall after a week or two -- instead of suggesting exclusionary improvements, let's start a discussion about how we can grow the game and make it more inclusive -- without new players we will eventually not have a game at all. 
  • UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    bken1234 said:

This idea would completely exclude newer players just like EC and Terrors did with their creature objectives.  That was a tough time in this game for new players and the only thing that made it better was easier access to strong cards from better coalition rewards and drop rates. 

If done right, it would be possible to create deck building challenges which would contribute the growth of new players. Let's take the color mastery alone as border setting device, and say: bronze tier event only, and make it a three rounds, three nodes challenge, revolving around a simple building concept as

1a. "Win with a deck that has 5 or less creatures" (red or green)
    1b. "Win with a deck that has 3 or more spells" (blue or black)
    1c. "Win with a deck that has 1 or more colorless cards (multicolor)"

If you win all three, you get a common or 10 crystals or a basic booster in the color of your choice
    If you won two, you get 5 crystals or a basic booster

In the second and third round the difficulty grows a bit and the prizes grow accordingly:

2a. 4 or less creatures,
    3a. 3 or less creatures

2b. 4 or more spells,
    3b. 5 or more spells 

2c. 2 or more colorless,
    3c. 3 or more colorless

Uncommon or 1000 mana runes or 15 crystals (and so on...) - give the players the right to choose their prize.

Run this every two or three days.
    And then every two weeks make a NEW challenge, in order to make the deck building less dull.

Complete newbies could be able to manage the first round and getting a basic booster extra is already great for the beginning. In the third round there could be even a rare waiting if you manage to win all your games. This is highly optimistic though. Those somewhat more advanced would have the challenges of rounds 2 and 3 and so on. 

Generally speaking, I believe the new players wouldn't have to suffer under deck building events if they are made right. My example is very simplistic, there are definitely more fun tasks to build around that a newbie could manage. Important thing are the prizes. If we want people to stick around, then they should have the sense of growth thru winning and earning prizes and getting better cards.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    The solution to make everyone feel included is easy. 

For the one day event only (once a month?), everyone has full access to cards, whether he owns it or not. 

Letting people try out cards they don't have and feeling excited about them can only be good for everyone, including sales. 

I frankly don't know why they aren't doing it already for the exclusive cards. 
  • TheDragonHermit
    Ohboy said:
    The solution to make everyone feel included is easy. 

For the one day event only (once a month?), everyone has full access to cards, whether he owns it or not. 

Letting people try out cards they don't have and feeling excited about them can only be good for everyone, including sales. 

I frankly don't know why they aren't doing it already for the exclusive cards. 
    That would be interesting and make people more excited for the cards they don't have, could increase sales of crystals for packs, which would benefit d3, especially if the event gave good card based prizes to ramp up the excitement (while they would be giving away more cards, the chance if drawing "that one card" would still be slim and so people who can would still buy more). Heck might even draw not.another.dimers back into buying.
  • TheDragonHermit
    bken1234 said:

If done right, it would be possible to create deck building challenges which would contribute the growth of new players. Let's take the color mastery alone as border setting device, and say: bronze tier event only, and make it a three rounds, three nodes challenge, revolving around a simple building concept as

1a. "Win with a deck that has 5 or less creatures" (red or green)
    1b. "Win with a deck that has 3 or more spells" (blue or black)
    1c. "Win with a deck that has 1 or more colorless cards (multicolor)"

If you win all three, you get a common or 10 crystals or a basic booster in the color of your choice
    If you won two, you get 5 crystals or a basic booster

In the second and third round the difficulty grows a bit and the prizes grow accordingly:

2a. 4 or less creatures,
    3a. 3 or less creatures

2b. 4 or more spells,
    3b. 5 or more spells 

2c. 2 or more colorless,
    3c. 3 or more colorless

I tried to avoid deck structure challenges in my example because I realised some of those might be too PW restricting. Some Walkers are simply too inflexible, especially at the beginning.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, I would like to see events that use a deckbuilding challenge instead of objectives

I mean, newer players cant win within 5 rounds or cast 3 zombies and lose 4 creatures consistently can they?  Which is why perfect scores are pretty rare in bronze and silver tiers.  I really hate the idea of a game where the first day you install it you can get top prizes and perfect an event.

Don't give me wrong, I do think the color mastery as a difficulty selection mechanic is really poor.  But doesn't it at least put newer players on equal ground for PvP?  Guess what, they also aren't going to beat Temmet... much less the gods.

And I actually think OhBoy's thought is an intriguing one.  We all have those chase cards we would love just to test out for a bit, even if the moment is fleeting.  Looking at you startled awake.