v2.2.0 Release Notes (7/25/17)

Comments

• Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    madwren said:
    Fascinating--the ability to print past planeswalkers (Elspeth being from Theros) is pretty huge news.
    Was thinking the same thing... and it looks like Vraska on the cover art for the next MTG set so maybe a Green black planeswalker is coming in a few months
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    1. Old PW is a nice surprise. Elspeth seems pretty potent, especially her mana gains are crazy. I'm not sure about her ultimate but I don't care because her first ability seems really strong. I like the idea of designing her concerning activity gems because they will always be relevant and not just in AKH/HOU.
    2. Strange to have Aftermath only now. I'm worried about it carrying about activity gems as well because it once again will clutter the board and making it even harder to know what you're activating. I'm grateful the mechanic finally appears, though.
    3. Afflict could either be good (because it does more damage than the paper version) or irrelevant because blocking matters so rarely.
    4. The Event Deck fix really sounds like the way it is already. Why can't you be clearer in your release notes/statements? Why?
    5. Better card filters!!!
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Adding option to copy event deck into slot even when you are regenerating ( without option to modify it)  would be awesome. 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    octal9 said:
    Brigby said:
    "Corn Noodles" Yes. The cards will be revealed in waves. The first reveal will showcase over 100 cards though!

:neutral:
    @octal9 ....sorry  :/

Brigby - Are reward packs going to have the new cards right away or are you going to do the "limited time only"  increased chance / there are really two different sets of cards thing like you did with the AKH additions?
    @ElfNeedsFood Good question! I'll ask the developers during our meeting tomor.... *looks at clock* ...later today
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    madwren said:
    Fascinating--the ability to print past planeswalkers (Elspeth being from Theros) is pretty huge news.
    What, like Garruk Wildspeaker and Ajani Vengeant?
  • theyrejustelves
    theyrejustelves Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    @Brigby
    I didn't see any news of the booster crafting.  Assuming this is still being tweaked?
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 328 Mover and Shaker
    Will afflict be able to interact with trample?  As in, will a creature with trample AND afflict, deal damage to the opposing PW twice potentially in a single attack?
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    is eternalise a capped/weaker version of embalm?

I'm thinking the deck slot persistence in the same
    event would have it's uses in an event like totp
    where the same deck can be used for each node.
    so would be a marginal upgrade if it cannot be
    stored between events of the same name.

HH
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    hawkyh1 said:
    Depending on the critters it might even be a more powerful version - at least at common /uncommon level there are few (I think none) critters at + 4/4 level. Regarding the rares, they'll probably also cap out around there (if they have eternalise) , but with more powerful effects.
  • Dologan
    Dologan Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    hawkyh1 said:
    Depending on the critters it might even be a more powerful version - at least at common /uncommon level there are few (I think none) critters at + 4/4 level. Regarding the rares, they'll probably also cap out around there (if they have eternalise) , but with more powerful effects.
    I predict that Eternalize is going to be underpowered/underwhelming overall (i.e. just not worth it). It seems to be a straight copy of the mechanic of the paper version, but everyone (except some devs) know that the power/toughness levels are not really equivalent between them, given that Puzzle Quest is capped at 3 (different) creatures.

4/4 are generally stronger stats in paper than they are in Puzzle Quest these days. A 4/4 critter really needs to have something else going for it to be worth a slot at high level play (e.g. be very cheap, or grow easily, or useful extra abilities), especially if one is going to need to jump through extra hoops (hit that activate gem) to get it. A straight strength/toughness paper to PQ translation is why some supposedly powerful cards actually just suck (Yahenni, I'm looking at you).
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2017
    Dologan said:
    hawkyh1 said:
    I predict that Eternalize is going to be underpowered/underwhelming overall (i.e. just not worth it). It seems to be a straight copy of the mechanic of the paper version, but everyone (except some devs) know that the power/toughness levels are not really equivalent between them, given that Puzzle Quest is capped at 3 (different) creatures.

4/4 are generally stronger stats in paper than they are in Puzzle Quest these days. A 4/4 critter really needs to have something else going for it to be worth a slot at high level play (e.g. be very cheap, or grow easily, or useful extra abilities), especially if one is going to need to jump through extra hoops (hit that activate gem) to get it. A straight strength/toughness paper to PQ translation is why some supposedly powerful cards actually just suck (Yahenni, I'm looking at you).
    The thing is the paper version casting costs are ~6 mana. PQ version is match this gem and it's free. 
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    shteev said:
    madwren said:

Well, as you know, when the planeswalkers were originally released, we had Jace Telepath Unbound, Gideon Battle-Forged, Chandra Roaring Flame, Liliana Heretic Healer, Nissa Vastwood Seer.

During BFZ, they released the 3 planeswalkers from that set (Gideon Ally of Zendikar, Kiora Master of the Depths, Ob Nixilis Reignited) and concurrently released five older planeswalkers: Garruk Wildspeaker, Ajani Vengeant, Tezzeret the Seeker, Sarkhan the Mad, and Koth of the Hammer. This bolstered the original lineup and gave us greater color coverage.

However, it then stopped altogether. Since OGW, and through SOI, EMN, KAL, AER, and AMK, they have followed a strict release policy that has not included any older planeswalkers. They have only released planeswalkers from those sets, which led some, including myself, to theorize that they didn't have much wiggle room anymore and that the original planeswalker extravaganza was simply to build an initial pool. 

Therefore, it's noteworthy that they're pulling in an older planeswalker. Even though it's most likely because they were very short on planeswalkers for this block, it shows that they do have a bit of leeway regarding how strictly they must adhere to set releases.

• Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    madwren said:

They have only released planeswalkers from those sets, which led some, including myself, to theorize that they didn't have much wiggle room anymore and that the original planeswalker extravaganza was simply to build an initial pool. 

I think they probably had enough new PWs to not need to release older ones. I think Bolas put them in a bind with 3 colors and they needed something to fill the hole since they may not be ready to unleash $100 walkers on us.
  • wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    @Brigby - Are reward packs going to have the new cards right away or are you going to do the "limited time only"  increased chance / there are really two different sets of cards thing like you did with the AKH additions?
    Yes, good question. I've been hoarding Amonkhet packs (over 50) and would like to know if they will contain new HoD cards after that set is released.
  • Brigby
    edited July 2017
    Brakkis said:

• The game freezes when the user destroys an enemy support tile during the Story Mode: Heroic Jace mission.
    This is being applied to all of the Heroic Encounters and not just Jace right? Because it certainly happens on all of the ones with pre-generated supports.
    @Brakkis Yes. It was a general fix for all supports that start on the board at the beginning of a game. The issue was written specifically for the Jace encounter, but the fix impacts all matches that have supports on the board before the game starts.

Brigby
    I didn't see any news of the booster crafting.  Assuming this is still being tweaked?
    @theyrejustelves The developers are definitely still working on Booster Crafting, however it unfortunately will not be available in this upcoming patch. We will announce more information once it gets closer to its release date.

HomeRn said:
    Will afflict be able to interact with trample?  As in, will a creature with trample AND afflict, deal damage to the opposing PW twice potentially in a single attack?
    @HomeRn Good question! I'll pass that question along to the developers, and let you know what their response is.
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    @Brigby Is there no new Elite Pack until HoD? Will it have new masterpieces?
  • Brigby
    edited July 2017
    @speakupaskanswer Yes, that's correct. The next Elite Pack rotation will begin when the next update arrives with the HOU card set.

Just like with any other Elite Pack, it will also come with new Mythics and Masterpieces unique to its set and rotation.

@ElfNeedsFood I reached out to the developers, and they informed me that reward packs will contain the new cards when the set arrives. This includes the Free Daily Boosters too!
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    madwren said:
    shteev said:
    madwren said:

Well, as you know, when the planeswalkers were originally released, we had Jace Telepath Unbound, Gideon Battle-Forged, Chandra Roaring Flame, Liliana Heretic Healer, Nissa Vastwood Seer.

During BFZ, they released the 3 planeswalkers from that set (Gideon Ally of Zendikar, Kiora Master of the Depths, Ob Nixilis Reignited) and concurrently released five older planeswalkers: Garruk Wildspeaker, Ajani Vengeant, Tezzeret the Seeker, Sarkhan the Mad, and Koth of the Hammer. This bolstered the original lineup and gave us greater color coverage.

However, it then stopped altogether. Since OGW, and through SOI, EMN, KAL, AER, and AMK, they have followed a strict release policy that has not included any older planeswalkers. They have only released planeswalkers from those sets, which led some, including myself, to theorize that they didn't have much wiggle room anymore and that the original planeswalker extravaganza was simply to build an initial pool. 

Therefore, it's noteworthy that they're pulling in an older planeswalker. Even though it's most likely because they were very short on planeswalkers for this block, it shows that they do have a bit of leeway regarding how strictly they must adhere to set releases.

I just figured that those sets had enough new PW that they didn't need to print old ones. 
  • damonsteine
    damonsteine Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    And still no booster crafting... 
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    bken1234 said:
    madwren said:
    shteev said:
    madwren said:

I just figured that those sets had enough new PW that they didn't need to print old ones. 

It's almost as if we didn't need to come up with convoluted theories to explain obvious phenomena.