*** Thor (Modern) ***

Comments

• This charactet wasCOMPLETELY unexpected.
  • I really don't understand why so many people are hating on this character. New characters take time to develop. Reskinning a 2* character into a 3* character takes significantly less time to develop. You guys have to realize that the alternative to releasing this character wouldn't be a brand new character, it would be no new characters at all for this week. Would you rather have that instead? Gold characters allow devs to have some breathing room and spend more time polishing new content while giving us some new toys to play with, so whats the problem?
    Actually, yes -- I would much, much prefer no new characters for two weeks than having this character.

My favorite part of this game is figuring out fun combinations and deciding when/how to level characters. Having a 3* character that has the same powers as a 2* but with bigger numbers doesn't add to that, and it means spending a roster slot and ISO just for sake of completion.

I said so upthread and I stand by it: I'm surprised and disappointed.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2014
    I really don't understand why so many people are hating on this character. New characters take time to develop. Reskinning a 2* character into a 3* character takes significantly less time to develop. You guys have to realize that the alternative to releasing this character wouldn't be a brand new character, it would be no new characters at all for this week. Would you rather have that instead?
    Because this is the laziest move I have seen in a game lately, adds nothing new to the game and it will make it even more difficult to collect useful 3* covers.
    I guess they figured this is a safer way to give new characters without screwing up all the time and changing abilities 1 day after they come out because they were never tested properly. What is really disturbing is that we never heard anything about this even though 4-6 weeks ago they were claiming they wanted to be more transparent and they intended to share more information with the players. Here we are now with a Gold character and we have no idea what this means or if he is worth collecting. Some expressed a concern that he will require HP for leveling and if this ends up being true, then the game is truly making the transition from a free2play (sort of) to a full pay2win model. I hope this is not the case.

Edit: I'd rather have a fix on all the broken and **** heroes than a new character every 2 weeks.
  • Maybe there will be a way to "upgrade" your max 85 thor to the new 141 thor. Like....pichu turning into pikachu. thorchu evolves into thorkachu?

Devs....Lightning stone please. kthanx
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess I was just thinking more along the lines of having new content to play with: diluting the 3* character pool with this character probably does take away more from the game than it adds to it.
  • I guess I was just thinking more along the lines of having new content to play with: diluting the 3* character pool with this character probably does take away more from the game than it adds to it.
    It's not even new content though is it. you've ALREADy levelled this character to the tune of 80k ISO. Now you egt to do it all over again!

For some reason.

It's utterly pointless, it's an ISO and HP sink and they should change his abilities bloody quickly.
  • While I like shiny new toys as much as the next guy, I don't even see this as a shiny new toy -- I already know how 2* plays, and for the first few weeks 3* will be almost exactly the same because very few people will have enough covers to level him to max. Once he does get to max, he'll be the same with bigger numbers, so I will play with him and against him exactly the same as I did before.

That being said: SuperThor* definitely has a place in the meta. His green is comparable to Patch's red (somewhat less primary damage, no strike tiles, but AoE), he's got huge health so will be a defensive deterrent, and his yellow is probably now the best in the game. Red isn't great, but it's cheap. 3/5/5 for sure, unless power level scaling has some surprises.

* We should come up with an easy abbreviation to differentiate 2* and 3*. I'm hoping Thor and SuperThor catches on.
  • NorthernPolarity
    edited March 2014
    abuelo wrote:
    I guess I was just thinking more along the lines of having new content to play with: diluting the 3* character pool with this character probably does take away more from the game than it adds to it.
    It's not even new content though is it. you've ALREADy levelled this character to the tune of 80k ISO. Now you egt to do it all over again!

For some reason.

It's utterly pointless, it's an ISO and HP sink and they should change his abilities bloody quickly.

I think the main draw to him is that now you get to incorporate him into your 3* roster, as 2* Thor was obsoleted (for the most part) due to not being able to level to 141. While it's annoying to level a completely new character to 141, it's not entirely pointless.
  • Something else I just thought of that also irks me: I think that being able to plan and play a particular team is a core part of what constitutes skill in this game. Having characters that are just buffed versions of each other reduces that greatly -- once I learn how to play Thor + BWGS, I can just upgrade to SuperThor + BWGS without having to learn anything new.
  • Honestly, I would have rather seen them give this treatment to a 1* character. 2* characters can generally hold their own fairly decently against 3* characters.

Seeing a 3* variant of M. Storm or M. Black Widow would have had a more positive impact than taking one of the tankiest 2* characters (only about 400 health less than the average damaging 3*'s) and giving him the gold treatment. I would rather they bring Juggie and Venom (2 extremely strong characters according to source material) and you know, actually make them something worth putting in your 3* party.
  • Maybe that means 1 star covers can be 2 or 3 star? I would love me some 3 star modern storm!
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Generic Thor was over powered and over used, so logically, they make Super Thor, so that no level of the game is untouched by his wrath.

If they wanted a Thor-like new character, they should have gone with Beta Ray Bill.
  • I don't really know what to think about this. It seems like a poor choice, but one that ultimately isn't going to be too big of a deal. (Unless you're one of those "gotta collect them all" players)

It would've made a lot more sense if they came out of the gate and did this for Captain America, a character who's 2 star version is pretty bland and very situational.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    It seems to me they're currently pointing to 2* Thor's abilities. Possibly 3* Thor isn't finished yet, and they're planning to fix before handing out any covers. Also possible: Maybe Gold covers raise the level cap of your existing 2* character? If it's really the same character with a raised level cap, that would explain why the abilities were the same.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    If this event finished on April 1st I'd have thought it was a prank to be honest.
  • * We should come up with an easy abbreviation to differentiate 2* and 3*. I'm hoping Thor and SuperThor catches on.
    I already came up with some common ones we'll probably see and put them in the abbreviations thread I have going.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3600

Here's what I got for 2* Thor and 3* Thor at the moment. We'll see what the forum ends up gravitating to and I'll update as needed.

Thor (Marvel NOW!)
    2* Thor
    MNThor
    ThorMN

Thor (Modern)
    3* Thor
    mThor
    Modern Thor
  • What about T3 and T2 ?
  • Why didn't they just release his blood brother Beta Ray Bill?

Of course I love the cover (I have the comics to prove it), but like everyone else has said, what' his purpose? He's just got an additional star and 56 additional HP levels with the exact same stats as the two star version of Thor.

Come on, at least make him different like you've done with Black Widow, Magneto, Storm, Iron Man and Hawkeye. All these are different versions of the same character, but this additional Thor (no, he's not new) is the exact same character with a higher level.

Yeah, and how expensive are the covers? Oh yeah, 1250hp for a three star cover which means a NO GO! icon_evil.gif
  • NorthernPolarity
    Mondo wrote:
    * We should come up with an easy abbreviation to differentiate 2* and 3*. I'm hoping Thor and SuperThor catches on.
    I already came up with some common ones we'll probably see and put them in the abbreviations thread I have going.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3600

Here's what I got for 2* Thor and 3* Thor at the moment. We'll see what the forum ends up gravitating to and I'll update as needed.

Thor (Marvel NOW!)
    2* Thor
    MNThor
    ThorMN

Thor (Modern)
    3* Thor
    mThor
    Modern Thor
    M. Thor vs MN. Thor would probably result in too much confusion: 2* Thor vs 3* Thor is probably good. I also like mischief's idea of normal thor vs superthor.
  • uuddlrlr
    uuddlrlr Posts: 93 Match Maker
    2T and 3T

curious what the gold means. I have no imagination, so all I can think of is that Gold could mean it only exists as an event reward. Have other hypotheses come up?