***** Spider-Man (Peter Parker) *****

Comments

• Cactus_Jack_87
    Cactus_Jack_87 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Dayv said:
    Yoik said:

IM hoping that the next 5 star from spidey will be as good. Then I will be able to time my hoard pull for when they are both in the latest packs and blow the lot. Currently sitting on 127 ledge and 3050 cp. Its all about the iso now. End of aug I reckon for pullathon. ………Sounds dodgy

Why not just chase Spidey now in his exclusive vault? I'd rather try to get him fully covered and get a handful of covers for the next guy then have Doc Ock thrown in the mix. I have 3800 CP saved up, that's my plan.
    Friends, don't let friends buy new release Legendary Tokens.

The 10% rate of 5* vs. 15% in most tokens is a total dealbreaker.  A lot of people see that as doubled chances for Spider-Man when they should look at it as reduced chances for 5* covers instead.

Compare the three kinds of LTs this way instead:

Average/expected CP cost per 5* cover:

• Classic tokens (15% 5*, 20 CP): 133 CP / 5* cover
    • Latest tokens (15% 5*, 25 CP): 167 CP / 5* cover
    • New release tokens (10% 5*, 25 CP): 250 CP / 5* cover

I think the comparison between 133 CP vs 167 is close enough to weigh those two tokens against each other, but 250 CP is outrageous.  5* covers from this pack cost 50% more than those from Latests, and nearly double those from Classics.
    I've been hoarding CP since February 1st, and I've been planning since the beginning of my hoard to cash in towards a specific 5 star. I did the same thing with Thanos, and I've been doing great since I got that guy fully covered within his first few weeks of release. I got 11 covers for him in the Purple Reign vault, and I got the other two from LTs. I would MUCH rather have a specific 5* fully covered than have 5-6 covers for 3 different 5*s that I'll never use. I have 3800 CP, so if I spent it all in Latest Legends, I would get around 23 5*s, on average. That's broken up into 3 different characters. Call me crazy, but I'd rather have a fully covered Spidey rocking 35K damage for 10 green AP and stun locking the team for 6AP, than have a Doc Ock with 6 covers that throws out a couple tentacle tiles, or a Star Lord that can turn a few tiles green ;)
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    @DarthDeVo : It really depends on your meta-goals. If you are solely interested in acquiring 5* Spider-man, I imagine pulling from the exclusives is your safest bet.

However, if you are interested in acquiring/maintaining a competitive roster for PvP and/or PvE, then as my esteemed colleague Dayv has pointed out, waiting for him to be in the Latest Tokens is the better investment. Additionally, you might acquire another 5* character who compliments and/or enhances the new Spidey's skill set (think Black Bolt & Widow, Thanos & Panther).

Arguably 5* Star Lord *might* fill that role with his ability to generate green AP and steal AP but I don't think a Spidey-SL pairing will be meta-changing and Spidey-Doc Oc is definitely a no-go (Ironically, the new Spidey pairs pretty well with GG, go figure lol) so the most prudent course of action would be to wait.

But that's only if you are competitive player. And even then, it's not really clear how much the new 5* Spidey will affect the meta. For PvP, his team stun will run afoul of the current Meta-Kings Thanos & Black Panther and will give added incentive to use Surfer.  A Spidey & Thanos team will definitely be viable but I don't see it being faster than T&BP if shield hopping is your jam (although it might be better defensively in terms of slowing matches down) and he might make OML worth running again (strike tiles, strike tiles).

For PvE, I don't see him particularly over taking the BB-Thanos-Strange monster force, although I suppose he could be used as a 5trange substitute if you don't have him.

But if my last two paragraphs mean nothing to you, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I am a huge Spidey fan, too, but I am honestly on the fence about cracking open the hoard since I do play the game competitively to some extent, less so than before, but still. It also doesn't help that I have BSSM and the lack of buff for BSSM and the history of how this game has treated Spidey leaves me a bit wary.

So I will definitely wait to see what other 5* characters enter the token pull before I make a decision. If they release a 5* Deadpool next that compliments Spidey I would definitely be on board to lighten my hoard. And if they release God Emperor Doom, they can have the rest of my hoard too lol (Wishful thinking)

With that said, the new 5* Spidey definitely looks like he will be a lot of fun to use and has a really awesome power set so I hope you are able to acquire him whichever route you decide to take. As always, just do what makes you happiest.

I see it from another perspective. I do consider myself a competitive player with a somewhat rapidly growing roster, and from a PvP perspective, a fully covered, ready to champ 5* character is going to be infinitely more useful than 3 different 5*s with a handful of covers. Would you have any hesitation to go up against a Star-Lord with 5 covers (or even a champed Star-Lord, for that matter)? Maybe I'll be singing a different tune if I cash in my hoard and walk away with only 4 Spidey covers from my 3800 CP, but I don't get the hate for 5* exclusive stores.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Pure CP per 5* stats aren't necessarily the most helpful. The most valuable gain in 5* land is getting a 5* to 13 covers.

For Latest Legends, it takes 260 pulls for an expected value of 13 covers on three 5* characters.

For new release tokens, it takes 130 pulls for an expected value of 13 covers on one 5* character.

Classics may be cheapest, but their dilution makes it even worse to try to champ a 5*.

So that means for 6,500 CP, you can champ:
    - the 3 5*s in Latest
    or
    - 2 new 5*s during the New Release token.

The question is which is more worth it. If the 3 5* in the Latest token are all good, then that is more worth it. If one is terrible, it's a wash. If only one is good (see Doc Oc and Starlord being bad), the New Release tokens can be more worth it.

** 260 pulls in Latest is easier to get to than 130 pulls in New Release because of earned tokens, whereas with New Release you have to pay just about all of it in CP.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Team Iron Man. Sorry, Cap.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    DarthDeVo said:
    Hmm, @Dayv, I'd never considered that before. 

Let me ask you this, though. When 5pidey moves in to Latest, he'll join Star-Lord and Doc Ock. The general consensus is they leave much to be desired.

So taking that into consideration, would it be better to still pull from the new release Legendary store, maybe pulling fewer 5* covers total but guaranteeing they aren't 5tar-Lord or Ock? Or pulling 5pidey when he's in Latest and just dealing with the other two? 

I suppose there's always the third way: waiting for 5tar-Lord and Ock to cycle out and really hope the 5*s that replace them are better. 
    This is my plan. I've been hording for awhile now. I've guessed (completely guessed) that at least one of the next two 5* will be a Thor. I'm hoping that is true and the other 5* is good. 

If not, I plan on waiting til Spider Man hits the Classics and dumping my CP in there because I have the entire roster of 5* that need covers.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    DarthDeVo said:

I suppose there's always the third way: waiting for 5tar-Lord and Ock to cycle out and really hope the 5*s that replace them are better. 
    That's what I'm strongly considering. I don't want to chase Doc Ock or Star-Lord..... Plus, it enables me to avoid further 4* covers I can't use, and raises the ability to cover Vulture and subsequent 4*'s (when ISO is stored back up).
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Devo, spend your cp however you like!

But i think the general consensus is that the most efficient way to build 5*s is with latest legends.  Classics are too diluted, and special LTs are 1/3 reduction in total 5* covers at a premium price point.  

And think about your plan.  25 pulls from the spidey store is 2.5 covers in averagem say you get lucky and pull 3.  Are you really that much closer to a full spidey than if you uad pulled latests?  

25 LTs eith spidey in the pool is about 3.5 covers (let's say you get lucky and call it 4), with 1 or 2 spidey covers. So you are passing on 1 additional 5* cover in order to get 1 or 2 extra spidey covers.  Doesn't seem like a great trade.  You will need thousands more cp either way, and the other 5is in that upcoming LT pool mught be good.
  • elko90
    elko90 Posts: 68 Match Maker
    I pulled from the Spidey store today, lesson learned, gentlemen. With 4,000 CP, I only got 11 Spidey covers, which is around 6.5%. At around 160 pulls, I also only got seven 4* bonuses, and zero 5* bonuses. Must not have been my lucky day. Maybe I shouldn't have hit that gypsy with my car? Thankfully, Spidey at least has a good spread at 4/4/3, and I'm confident that I can finish him up in the next three months, but I'm quite disappointed that I didn't get him finished with CP to spare. @Dayv, you were right, I doubt I'll be doing the exclusive store again. It worked with Thanos, apparently that was a lucky fluke. Now back to hoarding for November! :)
    That is the problem with RNG. I got 14 covers from 128 pulls, two were red dupes waiting on CS to swap one of them my build is 5/2/5
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    elko90 said:
    That is the problem with RNG. I got 14 covers from 128 pulls, two were red dupes waiting on CS to swap one of them my build is 5/2/5
    That's fantastic, congrats! I have 19 LTs that I got from champ levels with my 4*s, so hopefully I can get at least one more from those. Glad you got your Spidey covered!
  • elko90
    elko90 Posts: 68 Match Maker
    elko90 said:
    That's fantastic, congrats! I have 19 LTs that I got from champ levels with my 4*s, so hopefully I can get at least one more from those. Glad you got your Spidey covered!
    Thanks :) But this is not fair for the players for someone to be very lucky and someone not. If the chances are 10% then make every 10th token that you pull a 5pidey, the chances remain at 10% and nobody can complain.
  • DaBeast911
    DaBeast911 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Dayv said:
    Yoik said:

IM hoping that the next 5 star from spidey will be as good. Then I will be able to time my hoard pull for when they are both in the latest packs and blow the lot. Currently sitting on 127 ledge and 3050 cp. Its all about the iso now. End of aug I reckon for pullathon. ………Sounds dodgy

Why not just chase Spidey now in his exclusive vault? I'd rather try to get him fully covered and get a handful of covers for the next guy then have Doc Ock thrown in the mix. I have 3800 CP saved up, that's my plan.
    Friends, don't let friends buy new release Legendary Tokens.

The 10% rate of 5* vs. 15% in most tokens is a total dealbreaker.  A lot of people see that as doubled chances for Spider-Man when they should look at it as reduced chances for 5* covers instead.

Compare the three kinds of LTs this way instead:

Average/expected CP cost per 5* cover:

• Classic tokens (15% 5*, 20 CP): 133 CP / 5* cover
    • Latest tokens (15% 5*, 25 CP): 167 CP / 5* cover
    • New release tokens (10% 5*, 25 CP): 250 CP / 5* cover

I think the comparison between 133 CP vs 167 is close enough to weigh those two tokens against each other, but 250 CP is outrageous.  5* covers from this pack cost 50% more than those from Latests, and nearly double those from Classics.
    Totally disagree and you'll probably ban me for saying so but who cares. Spent 1750 CP, got 17 Spidey covers, have him at 455. odds are better to cover in the characters vault....ban coming in less than 20 seconds.....
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    ***Please use this thread to discuss the actual character and his abilities, not the math behind how to best acquire him. If you wish to discuss how to best acquire a 5* character, feel free to create a separate thread for it. Thanks!***
  • DaBeast911
    DaBeast911 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    edited July 2017
    Ducky said:
    ***Please use this thread to discuss the actual character and his abilities, not the math behind how to best acquire him. If you wish to discuss how to best acquire a 5* character, feel free to create a separate thread for it. Thanks!***
    Like I said.....the mods can't help but to ban a person or call them out for even making a comment.....isn't that what forums are for??? And mind you fightthedream was speaking on the same above and notice, nothing was said......
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Saw the movie today. Loved it. Can't even begin to explain how disappointed I am that we seem to finally have a good representation of Peter Parker in this game to go along with the new version in the movies, and it's completely ruined by inaccessibility.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    I pulled from the Spidey store today, lesson learned, gentlemen. With 4,000 CP, I only got 11 Spidey covers, which is around 6.5%. At around 160 pulls, I also only got seven 4* bonuses, and zero 5* bonuses. Must not have been my lucky day.
    Don't feel bad, I didn't get any 5* bonus too when I pulled around the same on bags of tricks tokens. 

Anyway, who would be a good pairing with this Spider-Man in the 4* range? Does any of the web tile makers make the cut? 
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    miles is the obvious choice, use his purple and and yellow to generate webs and his passive accelerates red and blue for peter and purple for himself.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,909 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    @DarthDeVo et al

Just a quick update. I ended up changing my mind and pulling for Spidey. I finished with 14 covers after using about 3675 CP to do it (pulled the extra cover since I didn't want to wait for CS to swap covers lol). I still have about 400 pulls left including my LTs but I will stop and save for Thor** (and hopefully Dr. Doom).

As Cactus Jack (hope you get Spidey fully covered when he is in the LTs!) and scottee pointed out, depending on the 5* releases you might be better off pulling now rather than later if you are only interested in getting Spidey. Under the current meta, I think there comments on the value of pulling character exclusives rather than wait for latests are accurate and I am reconsidering my own position on the matter. I guess determining the value of which to pull really depends a lot on your own roster needs and who gets released next in the Latest cycle, which we unfortunately don't know.

I figured the likelihood of Zenpool being released this summer was low but have enough CP and LTs hoarded that I have almost all my bases covered. Very curious as to who the next 5* will be though. 

@DaBeast911 Wow! Nice! You are super lucky! haha Congrats dude!

Oh and I guess to keep this convo on topic:

Fight's Initial Insights on *5 Spidey

Best build 4/5/5 (possible 3/5/5??)

Blue: Web Tile Generation
    In most circumstances, you will not be using the 2 turn stun as it requires 12 AP to pull off and will eat some of your web tiles. Instead it is usually better to utilize it to fuel your green and red attacks.

Green: Spidey-Fu
    Really awesome ability that captures the flavor of the character. Randomly hits opponents depending on how many web tiles you have out (I recommend the max 5 as it's not hard to get if you save up your 6 blue AP). As far as I can tell, doesn't trigger BP's passive which is always nice. 

Red: Here Comes the Spider-Man
    Spidey's straight nuke with splinter effect. Considering how rarely I use the 2 turn stun there's an argument to be made that you should run this in 5 as well. But that mostly depends on who you are going to run him with...

Good Partners for Peter Parker:

5* Tier
    Thanos: They share the green. Considering Thanos's green does greater damage, this is one clear instance when you might want to consider Spidey's blue two turn stun to help protect the CD. 

Green Goblin: I find it extremely ironic that these two pair so well. Although GG is now on the squishier end of the 5* tier, he still packs quite a punch and as unfortunate as it is that I don't have a viable GG, the Parker-Norman Osborn connect is looking like it can do wonders! (O.O;)

OML/BP: The Rainbow Squad. Both OML/BP's black will do wonders with Parker's Green and Red. The only real potential issue is getting all the AP needed to bring add the extra zing to those punches. 

Star Lord?: A green tile generator with AP steal. If only his green power were a different color and his yellow weren't so expensive Pete & Pete might have been a true PvP contender! But alas! It seems Mr. Quill caught the burst heal bug that plagued 3* Parker for so long. 

4* Tier: Spider-Verse
    Yup, Gwen and Miles will both help out with web duty. Definitely will make pulling off a two turn stun easier meaning for 4/5/4 or even 5/5/4 might be the way to go, especially when Gwen's cherry bomb is boosted. This team looks it will be crazy, so looking forward to testing out soon!

3* Tier
    Iron-Man. Nuff said.

Final comments: The devs did a pretty amazing job with this iteration of Spidey! Although I would have preferred his 6 blue ap to be a little more versatile stun-wise, all-in-all he feels really well balanced in the current meta. He brings an interesting tool kit that will require you to assess your battle situation more carefully for maximum effect. And most importantly, he is fun! Will he be able to dethrone 1* Spidey as the king of MPQ Spider-men? Only time will tell! 

Until next time true believers, this is fight4thedream signing off.

**Thor being a 5* character is pure speculation on my part. But who knows? Maybe we will get a 5* Warbound Hulk, too. Maybe. lol
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Why do forum mods get 14 cover characters :p
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    spectator said:
    Why do forum mods get 14 cover characters :p
    I don't know. I like building mine 7/7/7.