Best teams for 3* and 4*?

Options
Bokky
Bokky Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
Hi, I'm a 70-day player still in 2*. I've been hoarding tokens to get ready for the transitions, and will use all tokens except for Tacos and LTs.

I have come up with some teams that I think are the strongest, for PVP (Offence), PVP (Defence), and PVE. These are based on the understanding that in PVP, the team with higher total number of *s will be the defence team, and my mindset that higher HP defensive teams will discourage attacks on me. However, I am not sure if my 4* PVE team will be stronger than my 3* PVE team.

I'm looking for possible teams that are better than the ones I came up with. Do correct if I'm wrong about something.

3* PVP Offence - IM40, Cap. America. +Kamala Khan (Ms.Marvel) for Simulation PVP
3* PVP Defence - Thanos, Hulk. +Rocket and Groot for Simulation PVP
3* PVE - Dr. Strange, Thanos. +Patch for non-Essentials

4* PVP Offence - IM40, Thor. +Red Hulk for Simulation PVP <-- should I replace Thor with Cyclops?
4* PVP Defence - Red Hulk, Peggy Carter. +Hulkbuster for Simulation PVP
4* PVE - Star-Lord, Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers). +Agent Coulson for non-Essentials

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,935 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For 3* PvE I use Strange/Fist/Daken (2 or 3* version) esp if Daken is a slightly higher level.

Daken tanks Purple/Blue/Black/TU for Strange/Fist so if for some reason you are about to be hit with a power/goon CD you can normally make a match to allow Daken to absorb the hit and his strikes work nicely with Fist's attack tile. Fist is there for his attack tile that constantly wears down the enemy plus his purple power that adds black tiles for match 5 potential or hits hard once you get 12 Black. Strange can stun if needed but mostly he's there for his yellow.

When your facing non-goons then I suggest swapping in Cage for Strange since his protect tile will have more value than Strange's yellow. Plus he has that Yellow nuke and can finish a fight (last enemy) with all the Black that Fist generates.

I'd avoid Thanos unless you team him with Daken/Patch because he'll kill Strange in short order so he'll always be needing health packs.

Your 3* PVP defense is not worth worrying about. Your gonna get hit by 4 & 5* teams (or even higher level 3* teams) once you pass a certain point threshold regardless of which 3* you use. Just worry about offense in 3* land in PvP

KGB

P.S. I wouldn't worry much about your 4* teams until you get there. It will take a while to get through 3* land and by then the best 4* teams may have changed with new releases + character buffs/nerfs. Just concentrate on getting the top 5 4* from the December rankings along with Peggy/Carol/Medusa from the newest releases.
  • Bokky
    Options
    KGB said:
    For 3* PvE I use Strange/Fist/Daken (2 or 3* version) esp if Daken is a slightly higher level.

Daken tanks Purple/Blue/Black/TU for Strange/Fist so if for some reason you are about to be hit with a power/goon CD you can normally make a match to allow Daken to absorb the hit and his strikes work nicely with Fist's attack tile. Fist is there for his attack tile that constantly wears down the enemy plus his purple power that adds black tiles for match 5 potential or hits hard once you get 12 Black. Strange can stun if needed but mostly he's there for his yellow.

When your facing non-goons then I suggest swapping in Cage for Strange since his protect tile will have more value than Strange's yellow. Plus he has that Yellow nuke and can finish a fight (last enemy) with all the Black that Fist generates.

I'd avoid Thanos unless you team him with Daken/Patch because he'll kill Strange in short order so he'll always be needing health packs.

Your 3* PVP defense is not worth worrying about. Your gonna get hit by 4 & 5* teams (or even higher level 3* teams) once you pass a certain point threshold regardless of which 3* you use. Just worry about offense in 3* land in PvP

KGB

P.S. I wouldn't worry much about your 4* teams until you get there. It will take a while to get through 3* land and by then the best 4* teams may have changed with new releases + character buffs/nerfs. Just concentrate on getting the top 5 4* from the December rankings along with Peggy/Carol/Medusa from the newest releases.
    Thanks very much for your input, didn't think of the 3* PVP Defence point there. I'm currently in 2* land and getting thrashed by 3*, and I remember people telling me they get thrashed by 4* in 3* land. Now I don't have to aim for max covers on that many heroes.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Honestly, in the 3-star and 4-star tiers there is so much diversity that there are no 'best teams'. It all depends on the opponent (regardless of PvP or PvE). Its less about strength and more about strategy. When boosted characters come into play the 'best' team is going to rotate. For this reason you want to champ them all; this is especially true of the 3-star tier.
  • UnsmashableTim
    UnsmashableTim Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Options
    For three star, Luke cage and iron fist are money. They killed it for me for a straight year. Usually went with magneto, blade or scarlet for the third.  Iron man 40 is the real star. He works with pretty much anyone who uses blue and green and red. I like him with vision and kamala khan. That was ages ago though. If it's pve, Dr strange makes it godmode. 

For 4 stars, my 2 favourites are c4rol, starlord and whoever or Peggy, rulk and starlord 
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Not much to add here, but I would not recommend using Thanos and Dr. Strange together on the 3* tier.  Dr. Strange works best when he can hide behind a 4* or fellow 3* character, and Thanos in PvE is going to decimate half the health of your Dr. Strange every time you down an opponent.

The other advice I'd give is don't worry about defense in PvP.  Red Hulk, Peggy, and IM40 aren't going to scare anyone away.  I personally believe Peggy is a little overrated on defense unless the AI lucks into cascades.  She's easy to build around to take down.  People will find ways to exploit your defense - you're better off building to win quick matches and using shields, and this is coming from someone who dislikes PvP.
  • UnsmashableTim
    Options
    It's not about scaring people with Peggy, rulk and IM40 for me. It's about winning matches quickly. Don't really care about how I finish. I only care about progression rewards 
  • Smudge
    Options
    It's not about scaring people with Peggy, rulk and IM40 for me. It's about winning matches quickly. Don't really care about how I finish. I only care about progression rewards 
    My post wasn't directed at you; it was intended for the OP.  No one really mentioned the idea of focusing on defense, which most veteran players know is a losing game.  You might win a few matches with a Peggy/Rulk/IM40 team as one example, but that's going to be RNG in the AI's favor when it comes to cascades.

That was my whole point: Don't bother with setting up a "defense team" - you're going to lose on defense more often than you win.  If you want placement, you have to use shields.
  • UnsmashableTim
    Options
    Of course. Sorry, hope I didn't come off as a child. Just explaining why I use them haha
  • Bokky
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Smudge said:
    Not much to add here, but I would not recommend using Thanos and Dr. Strange together on the 3* tier.  Dr. Strange works best when he can hide behind a 4* or fellow 3* character, and Thanos in PvE is going to decimate half the health of your Dr. Strange every time you down an opponent.

The other advice I'd give is don't worry about defense in PvP.  Red Hulk, Peggy, and IM40 aren't going to scare anyone away.  I personally believe Peggy is a little overrated on defense unless the AI lucks into cascades.  She's easy to build around to take down.  People will find ways to exploit your defense - you're better off building to win quick matches and using shields, and this is coming from someone who dislikes PvP.

I don't think Thanos's damage to his own team is that high. Not gonna use that duo in PVP of course.

I'm wondering if the advice here would change if I'm not going to shield in certain PVP events? I was thinking defence teams would reduce the likelihood of me dropping too much when I wait for my health packs to regen. During non-shielding PVP events, I do 2 climbing sessions, with 6h in between to wait for health packs. Typically I get to 500+ in the first session, and I end up at 300~350 when my health packs are fully up again.
  • Smudge
    Options
    No, my advice on defense teams will not change.  If you drop to 300-350, the best you will improve to is dropping to maybe 400 with a stronger team.  That's a big maybe.  I get hit sometimes even when I am at ~200 points when I am using a high level champed featured character and two strong boosted champed 4*s.  Shielding is still the only way to preserve your score.  About the only thing I actively avoid is high level 5* characters because the match damage is prohibitive, and again, I am far from a hardcore PvP player.

In reference to Thanos and Dr. Strange, half was an exaggeration of course, but you will still be eating health packs like crazy if you pair those two.  My level 187 Thanos deals 1093 damage to my whole team with Court Death (5 covers), and my level 196 Dr. Strange only has 8000 health.  Unless you can guarantee that Thanos clears the entire team every time his Court Death hits, you still could easily be knocking off a quarter of your own Dr. Strange's health on each node - on a single clear nonetheless.  That isn't sustainable over 36 clears.  Do it on a wave node, and you might be reviving Strange every clear.  Even if you still clear the entire enemy team with a single Court Death fire every clear, you're still killing your Dr. Strange every 8 clears, which is a guaranteed 4 health packs over the course of a sub.

Do what you will with reference to Thanos and Dr. Strange, but I still don't recommend it.  Maybe if Strange is boosted and Thanos is not...
  • Skidoo
    Skidoo Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Options
    As previously mentioned, there are so many characters and so many different activities that there are no "best teams".  That said, here are my favorites:

"Sucker Punch" - 4* Star-Lord + IM40 + 3* Strange.
    This is my go-to goon killer. If the node has 2-3 goons, I almost always use this team. Strange's passive yellow inflicts counter-punch damage every time the enemy fires a power. SL's passive yellow creates a countdown tile that reduces the cost of other powers and increases the damage of his Red sucker punch. SL's red can easily hit for 4-5k for a measly 6 red, or go even higher if helped. IM40s yellow powers SL's red nuke and Strange's blue stun, which itself also increases the damage of SL's sucker punch. A successful IM40 recharge can often allow you to one-shot 3 opponents in a row for ~5k each.
    Yellow Red Blue Purple.

"Magnetic Storm" - cMagneto + Loki + Mohawk.
    The big nukes are Magneto's blue (5k+) and to a lesser extent his red (1500-3k). The goal is to create cascades w the multiple scramble & destruction powers - Loki's Purple & Mohawk's green and Mag's red & Mohawk's yellow.  Hold Mag's red until you have Loki's purple or Mohawk's green charged, then fire Mag's red followed by the scramble powers. It can be a little slow to start, but once it gets rolling it's powerful. And it covers all 6 colors. Hit w Mag's blue whenever possible. It is common that once the cascades get rolling they continue to fuel power after power to hit and scramble and hit and scramble. A weakness is its reliance on cMag to do most of the big damage. If he's taken out, your fall back is Mohawk's black which can do ~1200 every turn.
    Blue Red Purple Green Black Yellow.

"Team Cap" - Captain America + Grey Widow + Hulk
    This was my first 3* team, so I'm nostalgic. It is a little slow, but solid.  Cap's red is a solid nuke. Widow's purple feeds her big green gun AOE that does 4K+ to the enemy team. That's the big punch of this deck. Hulk tanks and helps generate green by absorbing damage. Cap's blue stunner helps w crowd control and his blue & red both help get rid of enemy tiles.
    Red Purple Green Blue
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Skidoo said:
    As previously mentioned, there are so many characters and so many different activities that there are no "best teams".  That said, here are my favorites:

"Sucker Punch" - 4* Star-Lord + IM40 + 3* Strange.
    This is my go-to goon killer. If the node has 2-3 goons, I almost always use this team. Strange's passive yellow inflicts counter-punch damage every time the enemy fires a power. SL's passive yellow creates a countdown tile that reduces the cost of other powers and increases the damage of his Red sucker punch. SL's red can easily hit for 4-5k for a measly 6 red, or go even higher if helped. IM40s yellow powers SL's red nuke and Strange's blue stun, which itself also increases the damage of SL's sucker punch. A successful IM40 recharge can often allow you to one-shot 3 opponents in a row for ~5k each.
    Yellow Red Blue Purple.
    I like this team. I use Bl4de instead of SL as i only got 1 yellow SL cover but got 5 red covers for Bl4de. But if i get more covers for SL i will try this team :)
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    For PVE I strongly recommend Dr Strange, Iron Fist and whoever you have who can deal the quickest strike or best health to take the hits. Dr Strange alone can take out most goons (except Sentry Fighters) by himself quickly.

For PVP I think Kamala Khan, Luke Cage, Iron Man are must have's. Also Thanos, Iron Fist and Dr Strange, but they have issues- Thanos costs you lots of health packs and Strange and Fist have short life spans. Since the AI plays the characters poorly, a good passive helps on defense, especially one that heals the rest of the team. Personally, with my rooster, I tend to avoid those that have at least 2 of those characters. Magneto is also a pain in the behind once he puts his protect titles up. Kamala Khan is who I avoid most. Those with better roosters will eat you anyway.

• byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    4* meta has changed a lot recently due to vaulting.  The previously great 4*s are much harder to come by now, and the new ones are much easier.  Obviously, every roster needs as many 4* champions as they can get for PvP due to boosting.

4* that you pretty much need for max performance in PvP:
    Carol
    Medusa
    Blade
    Peggy
    Iceman
    Red Hulk
    Hulkbuster
    Wasp

Other important 4* for PVP:
    Jean Grey
    Quake
    Starlord
    Punisher

4* that I think will be important (once people cover them)
    Cloak and Dagger
    Rocket and Groot
    Gamora

The first two lists are generally agreed upon, and most PvP players really need them to do well consistently.  The third list are my predictions just looking at their powers.  I'm sure they've been talked about on the forums already.

Then you'll need the usual support characters in 3* like IM40, the Hood, Loki, etc.  The game will naturally make you have to develop your 3*s first, so it's okay to champion a ton of them.  You'll need it for events and rewards anyways.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I can really only offer a PvE side of the equation analysis since I haven't played PvP seriously for a long time.

For PvE 3* usefulness you want the following: IM40(best battery in the game), Strange(passive against goons), Fist (all-around awesome), Switch (purple battery), Thanos (quick kill easy nodes), Hawkguy (all around good and blue/purple generation), Cage (defense and good damage), Blade (three great abilities)

Additional second tier 3* which can be helpful are: Hood (AP steal), Loki (Patch combo), Patch (Loki combo and regeneration), BSGW (Charlie's Angels team with Prof X and Switch), Cap (nice 3* board control option with IM40 pair), Kamala (good all around), Black Panther (good all around), Magneto (good all around), Bullseye (wave nodes), Deadpool (Whales, Whales, Whales), Quicksilver(great tile manipulation black against certain boss battles), Thor (good damage), Cyclops (good damage and red battery)

For 4* PvE: pretty much everything listed above in byc post, although I actually find StarLord to be one of the best for PvE purposes (probably not as big for PvP).  I use the team of StarLord, IM40 ,and 4Thor very effectively for example in many PvEs for certain nodes 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you're planning on using Thanos extensively, 3* Rocket & Groot are probably worthwhile. I Am Groot can save you so many Health Packs, especially while clearing Seed Teams or easy/Wave Nodes, where Court Death is firing a bunch of times in quick succession. I actually like them even better than Patch or Daken for that purpose.
  • Brown88
    Brown88 Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I tried a 3 star team with Spiderman,  falcon, and Magneto. Great defense! Or u can sub Magneto for human torch at 5/3/5 if you want to every color!
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Brown88 said:
    I tried a 3 star team with Spiderman,  falcon, and Magneto. Great defense! Or u can sub Magneto for human torch at 5/3/5 if you want to every color!
    I go with 3-star Punisher instead of Human Torch with 3-star Spidey and Falcon. Punisher's Green and Red both make tiles that Falcon can boost, while Punisher's red can take down anyone once you get their health below 40%. Still, they're both good choices for a rainbow team.