**** Venom (Eddie Brock) ****

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Actually, with a character like the new Cage, Venom's black actually makes a little more sense now...
    I mean sure but I'd rather use like loki and steal all those tiles or save up red for captain marvel to get rid of all of them
    If it's Venom's buff week, are you really going to pass up the damage he does and bring one of those two? And besides, Cage is constantly spamming tiles, so you don't want to have to save up AP every time you want to do something about them.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    simonsez wrote:
    If it's Venom's buff week, are you really going to pass up the damage he does and bring one of those two? And besides, Cage is constantly spamming tiles, so you don't want to have to save up AP every time you want to do something about them.
    Oh no when venom is buffed I use him because his yellow was hitting for like 13k and he had a huge health pool, but when he isn't boosted I don't use him. And against cage just save up to kill him. He doesn't put down defense tiles until you activate a power so just match damage him then go all out. He only spams tiles if you spam abilities.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    So after playing with my champed Venom (369 boosted) he's not too bad. Obviously "lol champed and boosted" applies but his yellow is doing 13k for 9ap, and his green can do 7k damage plus heavy cascades for 7ap. He isn't reaching the top tier by any means but at least boosted he's pretty powerful. Oh, and he has 35k health. So yeah, Eddie can pull his weight somewhat.

With that said, his Black passive seriously needs a rework.
  • Hyposphere6234
    Hyposphere6234 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    I only have eight 4* champions and Venom has been the most underwhelming so far. He's very useful when boosted but so are all characters.

His black is fine. His green at five covers provides 3316 damage to a single character and destroys a random tile per each special tile. Jean Grey's purple at 5*s deal 3888 to all enemies as well as removing up to six special tiles including CD's.

Her green also deals 3385 damage to all enemies as well as creating friendly tiles.

His yellow deals a little over double damage to a single enemy character while creating enemy special tiles.

The main thought into a semi-unique character is by making him an anti-falcon character. Colour matches make him reduce effectiveness of enemy special tiles. A colour match counteracts any benefits.
  • catcusvader
    catcusvader Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Nice to see I am not only person who would like to see venom get an update. I hope they replace his passive with something more interesting. Allow him to use (create) web tiles that will make his abilites even stronger.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Does anyone know a single worse power than Venom's black?

Can I permanently have his lvl3 black as an enemy passive? I'd pay for that buff on my attack tiles.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Starfury said:
    Does anyone know a single worse power than Venom's black?

Can I permanently have his lvl3 black as an enemy passive? I'd pay for that buff on my attack tiles.
    Well, you're right.
    But it is a bit of an underrated power vs protect tile spammers like the Luke Cages, Bull2eye, Falcon, and even 3Mags. Keep in mind, many of these characters go for yellow which you will be denying for Venom's only pretty good power. And here's a point most people forget, 3* Luke Cage will not replace his strong red protect tile if you gave him a small yellow one (while your passive continues to reduce its value).
    Yep, I wish there were more instances where EB Venom was useful, but certainly versus specific enemies his 'value' is overlooked. 
    For the record, ,1* Venom, when he places the web tile and doesn't even stun - that's the most laughable power in the game.
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    I have him almost max cover (5/5/2) but I'm loving his update so far. All of his powers support each other really well. Black is not garbag-tier power anymore, and maxing it to 5 means he'll be the anti-4Cage, rendering all protect tiles useless. The downside of receiving more match damage isn't that bad imo. 

His yellow passive is great since it boosts his yellow damage and also reduces the cost of his green. Currently pairs him with Medusa and you basically create enemy protect tile every turn.

I really want to see his numbers when he's at max level. Finally a useful Venom!!
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    He suffers the same problem as spiderman where he puts the protect tiles on yellow so the ability is counter-intuitive. He's better than before but that's a big drawback.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    I really want to see his numbers when he's at max level. Finally a useful Venom!!
    Since I have him champed already, here are his numbers at 283:

Green: lvl 3    - 1590
                 lvl 4   -  2547
                 lvl 5   -  4462

(black is just percentages)

Yellow: lvl 3    -  1686 + 512    per enemy protect tile
                 lvl 4    -  2376 + 715    per enemy protect tile
                 lvl 5    -  3736 + 1126  per enemy protect tile
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanos said:
    He suffers the same problem as spiderman where he puts the protect tiles on yellow so the ability is counter-intuitive. He's better than before but that's a big drawback.
    Agreed, keeping more than 3 yellow protect tiles alive while chasing yellow yourself is rather challenging. So his yellow ends up doing about the same damage as it used to before this "buff".

Maybe make the protect tiles spawn on a random color? That would be a much needed change.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I was a bit skeptical but I played against him in Nefarious Foes and he was throwing out friendly protects all over the place. So I downed him first and received no match damage for the rest of the game, lolz.

In all seriousness, he definitely seems both more fun and much more usable now.
  • Anon
    My 273 3/5/5 Venom just did over 10k with his Yellow. So that's pretty cool.

I like him way better now.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    sinnerjfl said:
    Agreed, keeping more than 3 yellow protect tiles alive while chasing yellow yourself is rather challenging. So his yellow ends up doing about the same damage as it used to before this "buff".

Maybe make the protect tiles spawn on a random color? That would be a much needed change.
    Yeah, that would be nice... although it sounds to me like it shouldn't be that hard to get 9 Yellow first, and then let the protect tiles pile up. And that''s assuming the AI isn't making (or matching, I suppose) Protect tiles for you.

The change to Yellow definitely hasn't improved my 3/5/2 lvl 168 Venom much, but I think the increased potential (at 5 covers) and improved self-synergy will more than balance out the higher variance and lower floor.
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Just champed Eddie and am trying to work him out.

Besides the obvious partners (Medusa, plus some in 3* land) are there other suggestions for partners now that we're a couple of months past the rework? Mostly looking for 4* friends for him to run with.

Thanks!

• Anon

Besides the obvious partners (Medusa, plus some in 3* land) are there other suggestions for partners now that we're a couple of months past the rework? Mostly looking for 4* friends for him to run with.

Thanks!

Carnage is an obvious one. Vulture works as a green battery to keep shaking up the board.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards

Thanks!

Grocket and Drax, if you can swing 'em. Full color coverage, full color actives, Drax activates the boost to Welcome to the Team, guaranteed enemy protects every turn for a while, Grocket green far better than Venom's, so 3/5/5 is good for both of them, after you use Lethal Protector Drax black has some enemy tiles to destroy. I should try this one on some of the less OP teams.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    In a recent Behemoth Burrito, I was trying to work out why the other team was making protect tiles after getting hit (they had FalCap and I was starting to think maybe a rework to his powers had been released early!) - finally realised it was the Venom rework :)